Author Topic: Having a son  (Read 5010 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Having a son
« on: January 31, 2006, 09:34:16 PM »
Well, I've finally gotten around to regestering here at APS.

Anyway, my wife and I recently found out we are going to have a son.  He's due in late May and will be just over 2 years younger than our daughter.  

We (my wife and I) are having a serious disagreement on whether or not to circumcise our son.  I want to and she does not.  

My reasons are: a) if it's good enough for God's son, it's good enough for mine, b) there's increasing evidence that it does protect against STD contraction, c) it does make hygine easier, d) I've known several people who did not circumcise their boys and had problems with UT/bladder or yeast infections while those who did circ did not have those problems.

Her reasons to oppose are: a) pain (though anasthetics can mitigate this substantially), b) not really necessary for hygine, c) it's the way we're born - why change it, d) thinks the UTI/STD infection issue is bogus.

So, what do you all think.  I'm especially interested in the opinions of those who had similar disagreements and how you and your spouse overcame the issue.
Formerly sumpnz

brimic

• friends
Having a son
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 11:28:27 PM »
Helmet or anteater? The old dilema.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Having a son
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 03:00:09 AM »
Oooo, tough one! I want to know why my parents took it upon themselves to have me maimed. Especially after finding out Dad was an anteater. I never asked if it gave him any trouble.Then I recall the guy who had it done as an adult, apparently not a pleasant thing at all. I believe it was for hygenic reasons. THEN I thank my lucky stars that I wasn't born in a time and culture where SUB- incision was part of the ritual of becoming a man. Don't know what subincision is? You'll thank your lucky stars too if and when you find out. shocked

Sorry I can't be more helpful than that. My best guess is overall it would be better to do it now than have him find out that he needs to in adulthood. Talk about pain and suffering...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Lennyjoe

• friend
Having a son
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 05:30:28 AM »
Andrew, congrats on the good news!!  

Your right in your argument to have the procedure done.  She should respect your wishes and agree.  

Me and the wife had no disagreement with our son.  It was a givin that the procedure would be done as soon as possible.  Ours was a religious and moral decision.

Preacherman

Having a son
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 07:10:24 AM »
The argument about circumcision making one less at risk of contracting STD's, etc. is absolutely spot-on, medically speaking.  In Africa, it's been found that tribesmen who are circumcised get HIV/AIDS much less frequently than those who are not circumcised.  The reason is that the glands under the foreskin are much more easily infected by virii, and if they're removed, the risk of infection drops substantially.

As for religious reasons, well, my parents had me circumcised as a baby despite being Christian, on the grounds that if Jesus had it done, why not me?  I wasn't in much shape to argue at the time, of course... Cheesy

I don't know of any compelling reasons of hygiene to support circumcision:  as long as you wash regularly and thoroughly, you shouldn't have any problems.  However, hygiene is important...  in the prison where I worked, we often found uncircumcised inmates with genital infections, rashes, etc. caused by their not washing under and around the foreskin.  They didn't think it was necessary.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

mtnbkr

• friend
Having a son
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 08:00:54 AM »
My wife is a "childcare professional" with about 15 years experience in various daycare centers (degree in early childhood development as well).  She thinks circumcision is a good thing based on the hygene issues she's had to deal with.   Of course, the childcare industry being what it is, she frequently sees the kids of the working poor.  Not that it means the kids will be dirty, but frequently, they are...

Chris

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Having a son
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 11:44:01 AM »
I was traumatized by it.  I couldn't walk or talk for 12 months after it was done.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Azrael256

• friend
Having a son
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 11:48:03 AM »
I'm Jewish.  And I have proof. Cheesy

My kipa.  What were you thinking of?

280plus

• friend
Having a son
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 12:16:40 PM »
Funny stuff Rabbi!

Cheesy

Mongo

• http://mongomutter.blogspot.com/
Having a son
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 12:29:57 PM »
I guess it was the time I was born, or the area, but EVERYONE was circumcised.  The first time I was in the showers and saw a guy with an anteater (I was about 18) I thought he had a physical deformity.

mtnbkr

• friend
Having a son
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 12:39:17 PM »
Quote from: Mongo
I guess it was the time I was born, or the area, but EVERYONE was circumcised.  The first time I was in the showers and saw a guy with an anteater (I was about 18) I thought he had a physical deformity.
Why were you looking?

KIDDING Cheesy

Chris

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Having a son
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 01:10:45 PM »
WTF?
Cut it.

zahc

• friend
Having a son
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 06:56:53 PM »
Leave it. It can always be removed at a later date. Removing the foreskin to prevent diseases makes about as much sense as pulling teeth to prevent cavities.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Antibubba

• friend
Having a son
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 08:11:45 PM »
If you don't all the other kids at yeshiva will make fun of him.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Having a son
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 08:49:23 PM »
I don't really care much about your son's unit, but congratulations on the new boy! Smiley

Telperion

• friend
Having a son
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 10:22:13 PM »
Why not leave the decision up to your boy?

Iain

• friend
Having a son
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2006, 02:12:31 AM »
Quote from: Preacherman
The argument about circumcision making one less at risk of contracting STD's, etc. is absolutely spot-on, medically speaking.  In Africa, it's been found that tribesmen who are circumcised get HIV/AIDS much less frequently than those who are not circumcised.
Judging by what the Dowayo of Cameroon call 'circumcision' I'd expect that the reason for this is that you'd never let anyone near your bits ever again.

When the boy reaches manhood there is a nice little ceremony. Think banana.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

280plus

• friend
Having a son
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2006, 03:29:49 AM »
Well, while your on the subject, circumcision goes back to stone age times, you know, when all they had were stones to work with.

You have to wonder, who was the first guy to think this stuff up?

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Having a son
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2006, 04:59:03 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
Well, while your on the subject, circumcision goes back to stone age times, you know, when all they had were stones to work with.

You have to wonder, who was the first guy to think this stuff up?
My thoughts exactly.

It seems very opposite for a guy to think, "HEY, I SHOULD CUT STUFF OFF MY JUNK!"

Nevermind, I just reached an epiphany:  It was a woman's idea.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

onions!

Having a son
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2006, 03:51:08 AM »

LawDog

• friend
Having a son
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2006, 05:31:13 AM »
Well, if you're trying to convince her, I'd keep her away from Google until after the deed is done.

A Google search of 'circumcision' is...nightmare inducing.

LawDog

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Having a son
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2006, 04:04:59 PM »
I don't like this thread.
It's starting to scare me.
Cutting my wee wee is not a pleasant thought.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

brimic

• friends
Having a son
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2006, 04:59:42 PM »
Cutting my wee wee is not a pleasant thought.
Getting cut couldn't be too traumatic. I doubt that any man who was circumcised as an infant remembers it, I sure don't. I had my son done, it didn't seem to bother him much, and it heals up quick. However, I do remember getting caught in the zipper of my jammies when I was 3, a lesson I never forgot. :/
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Having a son
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2006, 06:00:49 PM »
Congratulations on your incoming son!  They are a hoot.

I would suggest that sons ought to get the same treatment that daddy had.  If daddy has been circumsized, the little guy ought to, too.  Same with the uncircumsized daddy & son.  If

Yep, my boy let out a howl when it was done, but at that age, they let out a howl if you unroll them from thier swaddling.  He sure hasn't held the decision against me or my wife.

FWIW, most gals here in the States think the uncircumsized johnsons are butt-ugly, from my experience.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Having a son
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2006, 07:29:35 PM »
I say do it now, only because I cannot fathom the concept of having it done as a yout' or as a man.
AAAAaaaarrrrgggghhh!!!!!!!!!!!