Author Topic: Woman shoots at census worker  (Read 2109 times)

crt360

• friend
Woman shoots at census worker
« on: May 13, 2010, 01:08:11 AM »
I didn't want to jack the "Census worker rapes woman" thread, so:

Leander Woman Accused of Shooting at Census Worker

Updated: Wednesday, 12 May 2010, 4:15 PM CDT
Published : Wednesday, 12 May 2010, 3:24 PM CDT

Leander attorney Carolyn Barnes, 53, has been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after police say she shot at a U.S. Census worker on Saturday.

The census worker told investigators that she went to Barnes’ home in order to make contact with her. The census worker said that Barnes pointed a handgun at her. As the census work was trying to escape, she said Barnes fired five shots.

The census worker positively identified Barnes as the woman who was shooting at her, according to court paperwork. It is unclear if the census worker was injured.

She is currently in the Williamson County Jail with a $50,000.

Barnes was previous arrested for assaulting a court officer after she tried to pass a multi-tool knife blade through x-ray machine at the Hemann Sweat Courthouse in December of 2009.

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/top_stories/leander-woman-accused-of-shooting-census-worker

For entertainment purposes only.

PTK

• friends
Re: Woman shoots at census worker
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 01:10:12 AM »
This will only worsen. =|
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 01:53:55 AM »
I have a county?  :O  =D

Oh, and per the actual thread discussion, the attorney is clearly off her nut.  Doesn't weird stuff happen anyway around Census times?  ???
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 11:44:53 AM »
Okay, just a dumb question.  Is it just the census worker's word on this or are there bullet holes and such to back it up?  The word of census worker doesn't amount to a whole lot to me.  Even if she did it, she could just claim it never happened.  The article gives little indication other than she was arrested. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 11:58:23 AM »
we should give her the benefit of a doubt. but her record does not help her
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 12:01:55 PM »
If she shot at a census worker for no good reason, she's not only an unstable screwball, but a bad markswoman as well. (Five shots, five misses, according to the story.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 12:11:24 PM »
Maybe she was shooting at coyotes and the census worker just happened to be standing there  ???

:P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 12:18:06 PM »
If you miss does it still constitute assault? This is a 53 yo attorney doing the shooting? I had to read that twice to get it straight. Wow. Note to self: Never hire a female attorney with the last name of Barnes.  :O
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 12:43:18 PM »
IIRC in Texas you can use the threat of deadly force if someone does not vacate your property after being asked to do so, and if you feel the threat of imminent serious bodily injury or death.  That said, this being a census worker, and a woman no less, I can't see the attny being able to get even remotely close to the "threat of serious injury or death" part. 

I give her a ten for effort and a zero for application.  It won't go well for her.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 01:08:50 PM »
WENT IN HER HOME, WTF?

edit: dropped the tags since it was a useless post anyway.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 01:37:21 PM by sanglant »

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 01:22:24 PM »
WENT IN HER HOME, WTF?

Where do you get that?  The article says:

The census worker told investigators that she went to Barnes’ home

There's nothing in there about going in.

On another note, the writer of that article needs to learn a thing or two about the disambiguation of pronouns.  Oh, and about sentences that complete a whole thought:
It is unclear if the census worker was injured.

She is currently in the Williamson County Jail with a $50,000.

Why would the census worker be held in the jail?   And with a $50,000 what?   ;/
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 01:36:37 PM »
ok, not the first time. =)

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 02:27:26 PM »
after she tried to pass a multi-tool knife blade through x-ray machine

So she took the blade out of a multi-tool and tried to get it through an x-ray machine?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

PTK

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 02:28:44 PM »
More than likely, it was a forgotten Swiss army knife. :(
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 02:43:38 PM »
IIRC in Texas you can use the threat of deadly force if someone does not vacate your property after being asked to do so, and if you feel the threat of imminent serious bodily injury or death.  That said, this being a census worker, and a woman no less, I can't see the attny being able to get even remotely close to the "threat of serious injury or death" part. 

I give her a ten for effort and a zero for application.  It won't go well for her.

Brad
I think in Texas, the threat of deadly force is the critical part.  Trespassing has some other rules especially at night.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 02:53:19 PM »

"Be wary of strong drink.  It can make you shoot at tax collectors [or census workers] and miss."
                             - apologies to R. Heinlein

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden