Author Topic: Are some Europeans actually finding...  (Read 3229 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Are some Europeans actually finding...
« on: February 01, 2006, 09:44:48 AM »
a testicle or two?

I'm impressed!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060201/wl_nm/religion_denmark_france_dc

PARIS (Reuters) - Newspapers in France and Germany reprinted Danish caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed on Wednesday, saying press freedom was more important than the protests and boycotts the cartoons have sparked across the Muslim world.

The Danish embassy in Damascus was evacuated after a bomb threat that turned out to be a hoax and Syria recalled its ambassador from Denmark in protest against the cartoons, one of which shows the Prophet Mohammed wearing a turban shaped like a bomb.

In Copenhagen, security police met Islamic leaders in a bid to calm reactions there. Muslims consider images of prophets distasteful and caricatures blasphemous.

Dalil Boubakeur, head of the French Muslim Council, denounced the publication of the drawings as a "provocation."

Burhan Kesici, a leader of Germany's Turkish community, said they reduced Islam "to two or three terrorists."

Two large Danish companies reported their sales falling in the Middle East after the incident led to protests in the Arab world and calls for boycotts.

"Enough lessons from these reactionary bigots!" France Soir editor Serge Faubert wrote in a commentary explaining why his newspaper had printed the cartoons.

"Just because the Koran bans images of Mohammed doesn't mean non-Muslims have to submit to this."

Germany's Die Welt printed a similar piece to accompany the cartoons.

"There is no right to be shielded from satire in the West," it said. "Christianity has been the object of ruthless criticism ... being able to make fun of the holiest things is a non-negotiable core tradition in our culture."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 12:18:18 PM »
I have a hunch the Euro-weenies are huffing and puffing before they pass new laws to prohibit "hate cartoons," or some such effete nonsense.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 07:35:31 AM »
Nope, unfortunately I was wrong.

The French paper fired its managing editor for publishing the cartoons.

The Danish newspaper issued an apology to Muslims.

But that's not enough.

People in Gaza are calling for a war on not the Danish newspaper, but on Denmark.

And in how many Arab nations is practicing the Christian religion illegal?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 07:59:24 AM »
Two large Danish companies reported their sales falling in the Middle East after the incident led to protests in the Arab world and calls for boycotts.
In the end money rules and when your actions garner you less of it then those actions will be curtailed.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 08:27:26 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Nope, unfortunately I was wrong.

The French paper fired its managing editor for publishing the cartoons.

The Danish newspaper issued an apology to Muslims.

But that's not enough.

People in Gaza are calling for a war on not the Danish newspaper, but on Denmark.

And in how many Arab nations is practicing the Christian religion illegal?
Great idea!  Resettle all the Palestinians to Denmark.  Where can I send contributions?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 08:43:22 AM »
"Where can I send contributions?"

The Danish newspaper in question will probably be accepting them.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 10:53:06 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
"Where can I send contributions?"

The Danish newspaper in question will probably be accepting them.
If they know what's good for them, that is.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 12:53:22 PM »
They're getting all bent out of shape...

Over this?

Do I get a fatwah issued against me now?  Please?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 04:24:01 PM »
Don't you remember a few years ago when the Muslim community in America got bent out of shape over the representation of Muhammed on the frieze of lawgivers at the Supreme Court?

They were demanding that it be removed.

The court told them to go pound sand.

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 04:24:13 PM »
Lets just be carefull standing in our glass house here. I just saw Donald Rumsfield on the news whining about a political cartoon that appeared in the Washington post, and a letter signed by EVERY MEMBER of the joint chiefs of staff was sent to the editor of the paper calling it reprehensible. Here is the cartoon in question.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/opinions/cartoonsandvideos/toles_main.html?name=Toles&date=01292006

Ron

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 04:34:47 PM »
ets just be carefull standing in our glass house here. I just saw Donald Rumsfield on the news whining about a political cartoon that appeared in the Washington post, and a letter signed by EVERY MEMBER of the joint chiefs of staff was sent to the editor of the paper calling it reprehensible. Here is the cartoon in question.
Outrage and threats over the caricature of a historic religious figure isn't the same as disgust at the low class move of using the caricature of a US serviceman amputee for political commentary.

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006, 06:12:20 PM »
I'd like to see them filthy buggers in "palestine" (a non-existent fairytale land thats actually part of israel)  mess with denmark.  Remember, this is the land where Beowulf tread....muhamed the pedophile has nothing on that.  danish mythology can beat up mideast myth anyday!

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 05:50:24 AM »
The Joint Chiefs wrote a letter announcing their displeasure over that cartoon.  That was all it did.  The Muslims have threatened to kill people at the newspaper that printed the cartoons.  BIG difference.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 11:25:12 AM »
Quote from: Dannyboy
The Joint Chiefs wrote a letter announcing their displeasure over that cartoon.  That was all it did.  The Muslims have threatened to kill people at the newspaper that printed the cartoons.  BIG difference.
Am i really going to have to give a list of sources in which American citizens advocate "nuking the whole mideast" in response to something equally as petty? Im prett sure we could fill a page with links just to THR.

OR

Can we actually formulate an understanding that the behavior of "jo-sixpack" be he Christian or Muslim is a very different thing from the actions of government entities.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2006, 12:05:36 PM »
Quote from: c_yeager
Am i really going to have to give a list of sources in which American citizens advocate "nuking the whole mideast" in response to something equally as petty? Im prett sure we could fill a page with links just to THR.

OR

Can we actually formulate an understanding that the behavior of "jo-sixpack" be he Christian or Muslim is a very different thing from the actions of government entities.
That sounds like, what's the phrase I'm looking for?  Oh yeah!  Moral equivalence.  There's a huge difference here and you know it.  I'm not just talking about the death threats.  Although, the newspaper has cops guarding it every day now.  Since you bring up governments, did you happen to read that Egypt's President had a few words to say about the situation?
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2006, 12:48:54 PM »
That sounds like, what's the phrase I'm looking for?  Oh yeah!  Moral equivalence.  There's a huge difference here and you know it.  I'm not just talking about the death threats.  Although, the newspaper has cops guarding it every day now.  Since you bring up governments, did you happen to read that Egypt's President had a few words to say about the situation?
Moral equivalence: the last refuge of the brain dead and intellectually challenged.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2006, 03:53:59 PM »
Quote from: The Rabbi
Moral equivalence: the last refuge of the brain dead and intellectually challenged.
That's right. We all know that the nation of Israel (current political incarnation) was founded in terrorism, and the US is the only country in the world to have ever used a nuke in anger.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2006, 06:00:21 PM »

OR

Making fun of a sitting secretary of defense is also quite a bit different from a religious figure. The point isnt that the two situations are the same, but that they both provoke an irrational response from the irrational people that populate every segment of society. That means that we dont get to feel morally superior because there are irrational muslim for the simple fact that there are also irrational Americans. If we decide to measure an entire culture based on the worse that they have to offer then noone looks good.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2006, 08:31:59 AM »
The major diffeence here is that people have actually been killed for offending the sensibilities of Muslims.  Theo van Gogh for instance.  Somebody wrote in the THR thread about words vs. deeds.  Some (can you name any that made worldwide news?) Americans may say, "Nuke the Middle East!" but I have yet to see anything come of it.  Whereas now, we have embassies being invaded and burned in the Middle East.  

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4681294.stm

Embassies burn in cartoon protest

Syrians have set fire to the Norwegian and Danish embassies in Damascus to protest at the publication of newspaper cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.

Angry protesters attacked the Norwegian mission after storming the Danish site amid chants of "God is great".

The cartoons have sparked Muslim outrage across the world, following their publication in a Danish newspaper and reprinting in other European media.

Any images of the Prophet are banned under Islamic tradition.

Some of the cartoons depict Muhammad as a terrorist.

They have prompted diplomatic sanctions, boycotts and death threats in some Arab nations, while some newspapers have defended publication of the images in the name of press freedom.

In other developments:

* Iran says it should consider abandoning commercial and trade deals with countries where the cartoons have appeared
    * The Vatican says the right to freedom of expression does not imply the right to offend religious beliefs
    * UN Secretary General Kofi Annan calls for calm and urges Muslims to accept an apology from the Danish paper that first published the cartoons.

'God is great'

Syrians have been staging sit-ins outside the Danish embassy since the row intensified earlier this week, when Damascus recalled its ambassador.

On Saturday, hundreds hurled stones and stormed the Danish site, before moving to the nearby Norwegian embassy.

"With our blood and souls we defend you, O Prophet of God," they chanted outside the Danish mission.

Some removed the Danish flag and replaced it with another reading: "There is no god but God and Muhammad is the messenger of God."

The embassy was closed, but it was not immediately clear if it was empty when the protests started, Reuters news agency said.

Thick, black smoke rose from the building as firefighters struggled to put out the flames.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2006, 10:22:58 AM »
Ah, the nutzoids are out in full hue and cry; their mantra is, "I have an absolute right to never be offended by anything!"  

I don't care what the news source is or what the event is:  It all comes across as New Of The Weird, upon which I commented in a thread a while back.  I've seen nothing to change my view...

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2006, 06:37:27 PM »
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2006, 02:04:49 AM »
Quote from: Blackburn

OR

It's not worth trying. People would rather be jingoist super-patriots.
Yeah, that's it.  That's the ticket.  Yeah.

Dude, you are just waaaay too smart.  You're like the smartest guy in the whole world, and stuff.  You are, really.  I wouldn't lie to you.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2006, 03:33:44 AM »
Since the cartoons were actually published months ago with narry a peep, I deem recent outrage highly suspicious.  

I refuse to be manipulated by media, Arab or otherwise.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2006, 02:14:53 PM »
This is an interesting problem. I'm not sure how willing europeans are willing to give up their version of freedom of the press. They have already passed hate crime laws; I don't know where editorial cartoons fit in. On the other hand, many muslim countries have had newspapers print editorial cartoons which Christians and Jews (and other religious beliefs I may add) are portrayed in a negative/offensive manner. Islam operates under an interesting standard; Westerners are fair game to them; but no one anywhere may critisize Islam without fear of their life. I should point out that a punk rock band here in the US was sued out of business by the PMRC back in the 80's for an album picture called "Frankenchrist" which portrayed Jesus Christ in a manner which a few Christian people found objectionable. They were not run out of business by violence, but by court litigation which literally bankrupted the band financially. Was this much different? Who determines what is offensive?

These recent events may turn the western view of the middle east religious philosphy. Sometimes it is tough to see the peace in a religion of peace. This could be a coming together of nations who don't share Islamic doctrine and finally say enough. Or will they surrender to censorship offshore and give in to the threats of violence? Even if they do give in, what are the guarantees that different comments/cartoons will result in more threats and violence? This may be the beginning of the line in the sand to be crossed. This could be interesting...too interesting...

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2006, 04:25:29 PM »
I think the reason for the delayed outrage was that the Danish imam had to scrounge up some actually offensive pics of Big Mo.  I mean the one with the pig's ears and snout and the one of Mo getting it doggy from a doggy.