Author Topic: Are some Europeans actually finding...  (Read 3225 times)

Iapetus

• friend
Are some Europeans actually finding...
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2006, 10:02:57 AM »
It does seem that - now that freedom of the press is at stake - that the left-leaning media (Guardian etc) are more willing to make a stand.  (I've rarely bought the Guardian since July 8th, when they ran three separate articles urging "understanding" of the Tube bombers, but they seem pretty equivocal that the current lot of nut jobs have crossed the line).

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2006, 05:35:15 PM »
I saw President Bush this morning saying that we shouldn't offend the religion of others.  No mention of protecting the right of free speech.  Disappointing.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Otherguy Overby

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2006, 05:55:42 PM »
Quote from: Dannyboy
I think the reason for the delayed outrage was that the Danish imam had to scrounge up some actually offensive pics of Big Mo.  I mean the one with the pig's ears and snout and the one of Mo getting it doggy from a doggy.
Actually, those extra cartoons were added by arabs to incite the whole situation.
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2006, 06:09:16 PM »
Quote from: Otherguy Overby
I think the reason for the delayed outrage was that the Danish imam had to scrounge up some actually offensive pics of Big Mo.  I mean the one with the pig's ears and snout and the one of Mo getting it doggy from a doggy.
Actually, those extra cartoons were added by arabs to incite the whole situation.
Yeah, I know, but they were added by Danish Arabs before the head Muslim in Denmark went to the Middle East.  He brought them with him.  Four months after the fact.  Two-faced scumbag that he is, he should have been denied entry back into the country and had his citizenship revoked.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2006, 08:04:23 AM »
Quote from: c_yeager
The Joint Chiefs wrote a letter announcing their displeasure over that cartoon.  That was all it did.  The Muslims have threatened to kill people at the newspaper that printed the cartoons.  BIG difference.
Am i really going to have to give a list of sources in which American citizens advocate "nuking the whole mideast" in response to something equally as petty? Im prett sure we could fill a page with links just to THR.

OR

Can we actually formulate an understanding that the behavior of "jo-sixpack" be he Christian or Muslim is a very different thing from the actions of government entities.
Edit: Forget it - I'd be wasting my breath.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2006, 02:38:24 PM »
Quote from: c_yeager
The Joint Chiefs wrote a letter announcing their displeasure over that cartoon.  That was all it did.  The Muslims have threatened to kill people at the newspaper that printed the cartoons.  BIG difference.
Am i really going to have to give a list of sources in which American citizens advocate "nuking the whole mideast" in response to something equally as petty? Im prett sure we could fill a page with links just to THR.
And I'm of the position that there's a big difference with my saying a rhetorical 'Nuke 'em till they Glow' in response to some outrage commited, and Arabs commiting acts such as bombings, stonings, burning down embassies, at least one murder.  I don't care whether they be in the middle east or not.  I've said it about China before.  I've said it about certain areas of Africa.  

Can we actually formulate an understanding that the behavior of "jo-sixpack" be he Christian or Muslim is a very different thing from the actions of government entities.
True, but popular opinion does have an effect on most governments.  Part of the issue is that you have to search fairly hard to find outrageous behavior of this sort in western nations.  When you do, you'll often find the same names coming up.  Incidents in the middle-east, on the other hand, are just the opposite.  You can easily find many examples from many people.

I don't mind (peaceful) marching, I can even understand the boycotts.  Heck, picket the newspaper if you want.  Just don't get violent about it.