Author Topic: "Toy Guns Converted to Assault Weapons"  (Read 12826 times)

Thylacine

Re: "Toy Guns Converted to Assault Weapons"
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2010, 02:41:18 PM »
Guns America 80% AR15 Receiver : $179.00

Systema Training Weapon M4A1 M4 PTW MAX:  $1,495.99

???????

PTK

• friends
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2010, 02:43:10 PM »
Once again, the issue is not COST.

The issue is that a functioning, as-is M4 receiver, which is an MG by the 1934NFA as it is, is available as a "toy". It's simply not legal, not a matter of cost. :(
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Thylacine

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2010, 02:49:03 PM »
It has to be modified. "Drill one hole." (kinda doubt that it is that easy.)  So it is not a working receiver.
wasn't cost I was showing...... 80% plus modifying same result..........

PTK

• friends
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2010, 03:07:47 PM »
Having handled one of the "airsoft" M4 receivers, to use, I can tell you that there are no mods to the receiver needed. NONE.

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Thylacine

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
"To make the airsoft receiver function just like an AR-15’s, Gonnuscio said, “All you have to do is drill one hole.”
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/06/exclusive-toy-gun-sold-easily-turned-real-thing/

OK, I will have to take your word for it, since I can't afford one.  Just going by the article.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2010, 03:14:16 PM »
Fox news is a day late and a dollar short, as usual. Other sources (including those posted in this thread) say otherwise. ;)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2010, 03:32:56 PM »
Do you have a tax stamp for that block of steel sitting over there?  :police:

Whatever are you talking about, Tallpine?   :angel:
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HForrest

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2010, 03:33:36 PM »
But firearms expert Len Savage said the ATF is taking a “serious look” at the wrong issue -- or, more specifically, the wrong part of the gun.

The reason it’s possible to make these airsoft receivers function as real receivers is that all an AR-15 receiver does is hold the gun together, Savage said. So with enough gun knowledge, almost anything can be made into a receiver.

“There’s a line of AR-15 firearms out there where the lower (the receiver) is made entirely of injection molded plastic … It could be made of cardboard and scotch tape,” he said.

The most important part of an AR-15, and the most difficult part to replicate, he said, is the upper half of the gun -- which is unmarked, unregulated and readily available for purchase.

"The ATF is regulating the wrong part as a firearm receiver, not the part that goes bang," Savage said.

“The upper is what contains the barrel, the breech or bolt, that’s what contains all the pressure,” he added.

The reason the lower half of the AR-15 is the part with the serial number, and thus classified as the receiver, is that when the gun was created it was up to the manufacturer to choose the location of the gun’s serial number, he said. Because the bottom of the gun has a flat surface, it was the easiest to mark.

And though federal law has since defined a gun’s receiver as the part “which provides housing for the hammer, bolt, breechblock and firing mechanism,” Savage says the bureau has continued to mark and regulate the lower part of the AR-15 to avoid confusion.
This. This is something I've been worried about for years. And this is the first time I've seen it brought to light in the mainstream, which could turn out to be very bad news for gun owners. Now, I'm hoping the thought of regulating upper receivers is simply too unfeasible to be realistically considered. But the less exposure this airsoft receiver 'problem' gets, the better.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2010, 03:37:07 PM »
The key here is using a part of a toy to modify a working firearm.  It is not "converting" a toy to fire full auto.  It's disingenuous on the part of the BATFE to claim that the toy rifle itself is being converted as a whole.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2010, 04:30:10 PM »
But the less exposure this airsoft receiver 'problem' gets, the better.

and that coulda happened if the company importing had straightened out their supplier.  instead in a they sought the support of the public to allow them to continue to foul up.  and the gun community rushs to crowd the cliffs edge.  in their lust to get at the atf they  help achieve a public relations victory for the brady bunch
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

HankB

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2010, 12:37:41 PM »
Kinda makes me want to buy an Airsoft . . .  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2010, 12:58:17 PM »
Kinda makes me want to buy an Airsoft . . .  >:D
Same here :angel:. An upper can be...procured :angel:.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
Links for buying said airsoft gun?  :angel:

put an M16 hammer in place of the toy one, and snap on an upper with an FA BCG.

And those are so easy and cheap to get.  ;/

Once again, the issue is not COST.

The issue is that a functioning, as-is M4 receiver, which is an MG by the 1934NFA as it is, is available as a "toy". It's simply not legal, not a matter of cost.  =|

With the right tools I could turn a brick into a gun.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2010, 04:16:14 PM »
And those are so easy and cheap to get.  ;/

Bolt Carrier
Hammer
Upper

And that's just the vender I happen to use.

I'm with PTK.  It's bad that M16's are regulated at all, but given that the are illegal. Then these are too.  This isn't makeing a zip gun, or turning an illegal surppressor on a lathe.  It's 10 min work with a Leatherman, tops.

Thanks PTK, that's what happens when I try to cut and paste tags.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 06:19:15 PM by dogmush »

PTK

• friends
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2010, 05:28:04 PM »
Bolt Carrier
Hammer
Upper

Fixed the links for you.

• friends
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2010, 05:36:59 PM »
would that make a semi? or a f/a
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2010, 05:58:43 PM »
Full-auto.

• friends
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2010, 06:01:12 PM »
i thought so  but my skill set requires asking

PTK

• friends
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2010, 06:02:41 PM »
No problem. It's why I like being on this board, having a gunsmith handy to be able to answer questions always seems welcome. :)

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2010, 06:18:34 PM »
now then, where can i buy an airsoft upper for a M16? [popcorn]

PTK

• friends
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2010, 06:20:33 PM »
:laugh:

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2010, 07:18:21 PM »
I disagree. This isn't just "stupid nonsense". Here are the specific issues with saying this is just regulatory nonsense:

The receivers are perfectly strong enough. (6061T6 aluminum)
The FCG pin placement, upper pins, magwell, and rear tower threads are all in spec.
There is a genuine M16 autosear in there. The "toy" has a legitimate autosear in the correct location.

To make this "toy" into a MG takes the following as an absolute minimum - shim the FCG by less than .050" (this can be skipped if you don't care about the lower surviving very long, it will egg the FCG pin holes out), put an M16 hammer in place of the toy one, and snap on an upper with an FA BCG.

Ta-da.

Not exactly a "toy". =|

If someone were selling "toy" STEN Mk2s where all you had to do was get a real magazine, ammunition, and screw a new barrel on, there'd be no question in anyone's mind. What gives, with this?

EDIT: Just to be 100% clear. These are not "toys". By the 1934NFA, they are a machinegun - a receiver that is in spec for a machinegun as-is, is a machinegun in and of itself. Period. Full stop. There is no conversion going on, they are already machineguns.

so couldn't you just take the sear out and put one in an AR15 and have a functional machine gun?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

PTK

• friends
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2010, 07:37:13 PM »
No, the AR-15 has a different configuration to that portion of the receiver to disallow exactly that. There is a block that isn't machined out on the AR-15 that IS machined out on the M4/M16. Additionally, the sear hole isn't drilled.

You'd still have to also replace the hammer, bolt carrier, and safety, as well.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2010, 08:33:11 PM »
So in essence it's the pre-ban (or whatever the descriptor is) receiver config?

Not an un-understandable "oops" on the part of the manufacturer.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

PTK

• friends
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2010, 09:21:32 PM »
It's a POST-ban-on-new-machineguns receiver. They made a machine gun. How is this understandable?

"Well, it's just a toy!" doesn't really cut it. =|