Author Topic: 9-LED FLash Lights from Lowes ($5 for 2-pack)  (Read 3062 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
9-LED FLash Lights from Lowes ($5 for 2-pack)
« on: May 17, 2010, 11:49:26 AM »
I like quality flashlights, which is why I have bought several Surefure & Streamlight products.

I also like to have a bunch of flashlights about, but I can't justify a bulk purchase of the above.

So, I have looked about for a cheap but reliable LED lights. I tried dealextreme.com and had a failure rate of 1/3.  Not exactly awe-inspiring.  Same thing with many others.

But, those cheesy two for $5 little LED flashlights from Lowes have proved themselves reliable over several months. 10 flashlights, tested by myself and my two toddlers.  Over that time, my kiddos have dropped them from toddler height many times, left them on all night long, turned the on/off switch on & off continuously for minutes at a time, etc.  None have broken so far.

As to the light output, it is less than my 80 lumen Surefire 6P LED,  but sufficient for a "combat" light in my house.  Frankly, the Surefires & Streamlights are a bit too bright indoors and reflected light can blind one if not careful.

I would not use one for my combat light out of the house or as  a utility light if I expected rain, as the Surefires are better combat lights and they weather-proofing on the 9-LED critters is not as robust as a Surefire or Streamlight.

They are a good, cheap means to have a bunch of reliable LED lights around.  They also give plenty of warning if their 3 AAA batteries are going South...and run great on AAA alkalines.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: 9-LED FLash Lights from Lowes ($5 for 2-pack)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 12:17:58 PM »
I've got a surefire, but it takes the expensive NiMH or Lithium, or whatever photo batteries.

VERY bright.

I've also got a very nice little 3-AAA light from Coleman. Also had red and blue LEDs available. Pretty bright. But it was about $30 or so at Wally World.

Blog under construction

crt360

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 04:59:30 AM »
I've got a Brinkmann Armor Max 1xAA that I picked up at Academy for $15 a year or two ago.  It's the best cheap light I've ever used.  It doesn't seem to be too regulated so it'll give you really bright light for awhile, then adequate light for a long time without getting flickery or just shutting off on you.  I love the fact that it does it on one cheap AA that can be found anywhere.  I have plenty of other (more expensive) lights and they rarely get used anymore. 
For entertainment purposes only.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 05:12:58 AM »
I've also got a very nice little 3-AAA light from Coleman. Also had red and blue LEDs available. Pretty bright. But it was about $30 or so at Wally World.

I've got two of those; one with the red/blue/white led, and one with just the white led.  The one with just the white is mounted on my bicycle.  Much brighter than comparably priced bicycle headlamps, and the mount didn't cost me very much either:

:lol:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 10:12:46 AM »
Just FYI, the CR123 Lithium primaries aren't really "expensive" anymore. Although I guess they'll always be as compared to Alkaline AA's.

They can be found for $1ea or even less sometimes.

http://www.batterystation.com/cr123a.htm (get a Candlepower Forums discount by signing up there and getting a screen name.)

Even cheaper.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tpen-tcr123a-.html
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 10:39:25 AM »
I've got at least one cheap LED flashlight from either Lowes or HomeDepot with a rear pushbutton.  I works great.  I have been looking for another one.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
I've got two of those; one with the red/blue/white led, and one with just the white led.  The one with just the white is mounted on my bicycle.  Much brighter than comparably priced bicycle headlamps, and the mount didn't cost me very much either:

:lol:

They make cheap little flashlight clips for your handlebar....just sayin....

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 12:16:12 PM »

True, but can those little clippy-dos repair your bush plane after a bear tears it apart, the way duct tape can:
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 05:38:20 PM »
AJ is right, the CR123a batteries are a lot cheaper than they used to be. This spring I picked up a 40 pack for $39.99 with free shipping. The only thing I use alkalines for anymore is my mini-maglite with a LED upgrade, and that's  at work where my employer only supplies AA batteries.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 06:03:09 PM by bedlamite »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 06:01:44 PM »
i bet a shotgun light clamp would work.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 07:16:30 PM »

Yeah...it's not actually attached that way anymore. I bought one of these: http://www.amazon.com/TwoFish-FH1-Flashlite-Holder/dp/B001CJXB5E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1274224481&sr=8-1 a few weeks ago.

The duct tape worked pretty well, though.  Only problem was that anyone with a knife could steal the flashlight.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth