Author Topic: 'Splain me please...website builders/developers questions  (Read 3899 times)

BridgeRunner

• friend
'Splain me please...website builders/developers questions
« on: May 20, 2010, 09:44:06 AM »
I am having issues getting my business website created.  I do not have skills in this area.  A friend of mine insists that I can just do my own, using template software that my hosting company will provide.  It is my understanding that that stopped working well in about 1998.  Gotta say that I am leaning towards trying it (can't get access, of course, to try it out until I sign up with a hosting company).  Used to be there were dozens of random site builders available free all over the place.  That does not appear to be the case anymore?

So, I worked my way through the pricy companies ($3000 for a single page, with no special features or functions at all), the random guys in Mumbai claiming to be local, the guys who can't spell and couldn't spot a visually appealing webpage if it bit them in the eyeballs, and I found a guy who is actually local, who is not obscenely expensive, and whose work looks ok.  Just ok, not fabulous, but ok.

He has been insistent that he does "his" hosting with 1&1 hosting.  Apparently, they suck.  I am not interesting in hosting my site with a company like that.  I would prefer to use Liquidweb, which seems considerably less sucky, is local, and just has a less fly-by-night feel overall.  Why the heck does everyone I talk to about this project tell me what company they use for hosting?  Seems to me if I pay someone several hundred bucks to build a site for me, I should get to state where it will be hosted.

Are my expectations unrealistic here?  I'm ready to tell the guy that I host with Liquidweb or the deal is off, but if I'm not going to find someone at all who is willing to host where I want to host, then I need to have a backup plan before I kill the current deal.

So, please tell me about this business.  What am I doing wrong, how much should I be spending on this project (five or so pages, contact forms, etc.)?  And finally, anyone have anyone to recommend?  I am really not happy with anyone I've found. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: 'Splain me please...website builders/developers questions
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 10:18:43 AM »
When I did it I charged $500 for a site with 10 hours of work included and $50 an hour afterwards.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 10:29:01 AM »
Get the site constructed and delivered to you as a set of files.  The developer should tell you if it is designed for Microsoft IIS or for Apache, and then take it to whatever hosting provider you prefer.

Anyone that won't do that is in bed with the hosting company.

What are you looking for, specifically, for your web site?  Informative only?  Contact submission page?  Client accessible intranet for secure documents?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 10:33:54 AM »
^^^ agree.

A website can be delivered as a zip file or on a cd-rom.  Where you put said files is up to you.

You will need to make sure that if any server side scripting is used (as often is for a contact page), the language it's written in is something that can be run on your hosts machines.  (IE: PHP, JSP, ASP)

geovario.com is who hosts APS, THR, and Calguns.  They might be able to hook you up with a good deal.

dreamhost is a host that several of my friends use.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 10:46:01 AM »
Darlin', how can I help you?

I'm not a "coder," but I'm a heck of a modder... and I know my way around the graphics crap...

Did extensive stuff with www.woundcareconference.com (zen cart ecommerce package), and I'm trying to get a coupla other things going.

I'm serious. I could use a few shekels, and you could use a break...
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 10:47:04 AM »
What's your domain anyway?
Blog under construction

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 10:47:19 AM »
I host (and write) my own websites, as a way of sidestepping most of these issues, but I will say this:  a site that is made using a template or automatic page generator....looks like a site that was generated with a template or automatic page generator.

Depending upon how dynamic the info is on the site you want (how often you want to be able to update content, and so forth), a basic site like you describe is relatively straightforward.  I do all of my sites with a PHP/MySQL back-end, and HTML/Dojo on the front.  Using MySQL on the back allows pages to be updated in a trivially-easy way; you just add new info to the DB, and it appears on the next page refresh.

Most hosting providers will give you the option of including database service (and it's usually MySQL unless you're going for very high-end service).

I'd be willing to talk to you about creating a site for you.  PM me if you'd like to talk, I can send you URLs of sites I've created.  I can also either host for you on my own server for a nominal rate, or bundle up whatever it is that I create for you and you can plunk it on whatever hosting server you want (or I can help with that setup, too).

(Not trying to undercut Bogie; if he can do what you want, go with him -- I was writing this before he posted)

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 10:53:39 AM »
I'm a big fan of Dreamhost fwiw.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 10:57:14 AM »
What's your domain anyway?

Don't have one yet :/

Really, I am pretty much a complete moron with the web stuff.  The most advanced I ever got was figuring out how to use Geocities and a dozen or so html tags.  In 1998. 

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 11:33:06 AM »
network solutions has a nice template system that will get you online 24/7 ASAP

sure a custom website looks awesome, but thats a 10K job for serious work.

http://www.networksolutions.com/web-hosting/package-comparison.jsp

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:36:34 AM by Harold Tuttle »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 11:46:02 AM »
How many "pages" are you thinking of, anyway?

You want your home page, you want a "about me/contact me" page, etc... You probably want a page for each thing you do, descriptions of how it's done, reasons why they need to call you, etc...

Do you have your own LLC or anything like that yet?

Blog under construction

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 05:59:30 PM »
I've been with hosting.com for a couple of years now, and I'm extremely happy. I can talk to someone in tech support at 3 am if I need to (not that I need to).

There's already people here who have offered their help. I'm no designer, but I know one who would do a good job aesthetically and technically for a few hundred dollars.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 10:28:25 PM »
I HAVE FOUND THE BEST DESIGNER FOR YOU:
http://yvettesbridalformal.com/
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Regolith

• friend
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 10:49:01 PM »
holy web design from '92, batman.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 10:52:10 PM »
holy web design from '92, batman.

I don't think you can accurately call it design.  It's more like someone vomited code into a .html file and then posted it...

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 10:53:50 PM »
My spouse's response to that:  "It's like Borat: The Webpage"

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 10:58:47 PM »
My spouse's response to that:  "It's like Borat: The Webpage"

:lol:

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 11:34:35 PM »
omfg...

Looking at the rogu... er... photo gallery, I suspect that the sentence she uses most is "Yeah, honey, I know you're an A cup... But it's your wedding - you're supposed to have great boobies."

Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »

FUNNIEST THING I HAVE SEEN ALL DAY!!  THANK YOU!!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 12:16:31 AM »
That site has got to be a parody or something.  It's just too crappy to NOT be one. It's like "outsider art" for web design.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 10:39:35 AM »
It's missing the blink tags.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 10:48:53 AM »
It's missing the blink tags.

I don't think most modern browsers support the blink tag anymore.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2010, 11:36:57 AM »
firefox does, ie doesn't. all i know. =) oh and you can disable it in FF