Author Topic: I have to post this piece of stupidity..........  (Read 7203 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
I have to post this piece of stupidity..........
« on: May 21, 2010, 12:27:42 PM »
http://www.kpho.com/news/23628568/detail.html

There are tons of things to be said about this article, but you folks already know what I think.  How about you?

Boy Suspended For 'Thinking' About Knife
5-Year-Old Kicked Out, Then Let Back In
Pat McReynolds
Reporter, KPHO.com

POSTED: 8:54 pm MST May 20, 2010
UPDATED: 8:46 am MST May 21, 2010

QUEEN CREEK, Ariz. -- A kindergartner was suspended for intending to bring a knife to school. But before the day was done, and after CBS 5 News called, the principal had a change of heart.

Josh Bejerano, 5, showed CBS 5 News the bush where he and his friends found a pocket knife Thursday morning on their way to school.

"It was in that bush right by that house," said Josh.

The kindergartner briefly put the knife in his backpack, but thought better of it and put it down.

"It was a bad idea bringing the knife. It could hurt somebody," said Josh.

The small knife remained in the park, well off of school grounds.

But when the other boys started talking about it at Harmon Elementary, Josh was called into the principal's office, and ultimately suspended.

"The principal told me that he was suspended for his intent to bring the knife to school. He didn't actually bring it to school," said Marc Bejerano, Josh's Father.

"I was angry. I couldn't understand why he was suspended. He didn't do anything wrong," said Brandi Pack, Josh's mother.

Josh said he felt "bad 'cause I got suspended."

CBS 5 News called Principal Chris Lineberry, who referred the station to the superintendent. But shortly after CBS 5 News started to investigate, the principal reversed his decision, and told Josh's parents he would be allowed back to school on Friday, the last day of the year. It was also his kindergarten graduation.

But Josh's parents still weren't satisfied.

"He said he refused to apologize. He would not apologize at all," said Bejerano.

But while CBS 5 News was in the middle of an interview with Pack, another phone call came from the school to Pack's phone. It was the principal again.

"He said he wanted to apologize. He said if he knew that tomorrow was Josh's kindergarten graduation, he wouldn't have suspended him from school," said Pack.

It appears on this day, both the principal and the student learned a lesson.

Josh said next time he finds a knife, he will simply, "Leave it alone."

Copyright 2010 by KPHO.com. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: I have to post this piece of stupidity..........
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 12:41:22 PM »
"He said he wanted to apologize. He said if he knew that tomorrow was Josh's kindergarten graduation, he wouldn't have suspended him from school," said Pack.

Aside from all the other stupid in this story, the principal claims he had no clue that kindergarten graduation was coming up?

griz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 12:56:16 PM »
Silly me, I thought only adults could commit thought crimes.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 12:57:49 PM »
I think that if that principle is married, and has ever even looked at another woman and found her attractive, he should be stoned in the town square as a pre-adulterer.  And if he's not married, then he should be stoned as a pre-fornicator.

;/

How stupid can people be?  The kid had a thought, and (at age five) thought better of it, make the right decision, and did the right thing.  And the principal suspended him. 

Wow.  Just...wow.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 01:15:44 PM »
Where the heck is Queen Creek?  (or is it Queer Creek  =| )

What about all the kids who though about cutting their meat with a knife at supper last night?  Is the principal going to suspend all of them, too...?  ;/

When I was in school in AZ in the 1960s, most of the boys and some of the girls carried pocket knives to school every day, from about 3rd grade on.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 02:03:32 PM »

So, he is not aplogizing for the stupid decision of suspending the kid, he is apologizing for interupting the kid's graduation.  If this though crime had occured earlier in the year, then the suspension would have been continued.

That principal has to be one of the dumbest creatures on this planet.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 02:16:36 PM »
Could say a lot, but I'll make it short: it's just as well the kid wasn't mine, because Principal Chris Lineberry would likely be in a full body cast, and I'd likely be in jail.  :mad:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 03:11:17 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 03:28:02 PM »
Right, because felony assault is an appropriate response to an inappropriate kindergarten suspension.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 03:32:50 PM »
Right, because felony assault is an appropriate response to an inappropriate kindergarten suspension.

Roofing adhesive and the contents of a few feather pillows is better.

Although in seriousness, what exactly prompted the whole zero-tolerance idea in the first place? How many true miscreants and delinquents with guns/drugs/knives were getting off the hook because they pointed out good kids with drawings of guns/tylenol/butter knives?
I promise not to duck.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 03:38:08 PM »
I just have to highlight this once more.

This boy was punished for doing the prescribed thing. (I can't write "right thing" because it should be right for a boy to find a pocket knife and put it in his backpack. Attempting to find the owner would make it even more right.)

He's been punished for even cosidering not doing the prescribed thing. Thank you, Big Brother.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 03:39:20 PM »
From Tallpine:

When I was in school in AZ in the 1960s, most of the boys and some of the girls carried pocket knives to school every day, from about 3rd grade on.

And from AJ Dual:

Although in seriousness, what exactly prompted the whole zero-tolerance idea in the first place? How many true miscreants and delinquents with guns/drugs/knives were getting off the hook because they pointed out good kids with drawings of guns/tylenol/butter knives?

This all came about because of all the kids being slaughtered in school after some kids lost in games of mumblety-peg.  Didn't you know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumblety-peg

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 03:42:46 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 03:40:45 PM »
For abusing a child and saddling him with a trumped up weapons violation record that will follow him around the rest of his school days . . .

Actually, a lawsuit against the principal as an individual would be better, especially if it can be shown that school "zero tolerance" rules do NOT include punishments for touching a pocket knife away from school and off school grounds . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 03:44:10 PM »
Is it normal for a 5-year-old to be going to school without some sort of adult supervision?  The article mentions that Josh and "his friends" found the knife, but it says nothing about the ages of the other kids.

I live in an area where busing is the norm, but parents around here with young kids like that tend to wait with the kids until the bus comes.

Something about this situation strikes me as odd (other than the whole Principal-is-an-idiot part). 

I know that when I was a kid, one of my friends had a 2-years-younger brother, Scott, who would always tag along with us.  Whenever their parents came down on the older brother for something, he'd blame Scott for it.  And he'd prep Scott beforehand, too, so Scott would admit to...whatever it was.  I never really understood why Scott kept letting it happen.

Anyway, I wonder if Josh was the youngest kid in the group, and some of the older kids put the idea into his head of taking the knife to school.  Either way, good on him for thinking through action and consequence.  That's something that some kids 10 years older than he still can't do.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 03:45:23 PM »
For abusing a child and saddling him with a trumped up weapons violation record that will follow him around the rest of his school days . . .
Don't see how this qualifies as child abuse, though the weapons-violation record could definitely be an issue (and something worth suing over) if that's how it was recorded in the records.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 04:16:58 PM »

What about all the kids who though about cutting their meat with a knife at supper last night?  Is the principal going to suspend all of them, too...?  ;/

Heck, even kids in NYC carried knives without ppl getting their undies twisted up
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 06:26:51 PM »
It appears on this day, both the principal and the student learned a lesson.

The principal (might have) learned that in the age of instantaneous commnications stupidity can sometimes be embarrassing.

The student (probably) learned that the people in charge of providing his education are a bunch of booger eating morons.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 07:02:43 PM »
Because sometimes, stupid should hurt.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 07:17:44 PM »

Out past Chandler in the San Tans.  A bedroom community for the upwardly mobile 30 somethings.

Is it normal for a 5-year-old to be going to school without some sort of adult supervision?  The article mentions that Josh and "his friends" found the knife, but it says nothing about the ages of the other kids.

I live in an area where busing is the norm, but parents around here with young kids like that tend to wait with the kids until the bus comes.

In these suburban communities, they have decentralized the schools in favor of community schools so that most of the kids are within walking distance of their school.  I agree that the whole thing was stupid, especially the lack of judgement by the principal.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 07:31:14 PM »
In these suburban communities, they have decentralized the schools in favor of community schools so that most of the kids are within walking distance of their school.

It was that way in my days. 

I lived in a little John F. Long subdivision that covered 3/4 of a square mile.  The elementary school was right in the middle of the mile by mile (section) block.  The other 1/4 section was still in farmland, as were all the entire sections for miles around.  The crop dusters (converted WW2 planes) used to make their sharp turns right above our house.  :cool: My walk or bike ride to school was maybe 4 or 5 short blocks.

Now all the farmland is gone, and that neighborhood is a barrio :(  My old grade school has razor wire on the top of the fence, which surrounds absolutely everything including the parking lot.  Used to be we could go to the schoolyard to play on weekends if we wanted.  No more - the school looks like a medium security prison.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 12:10:37 AM »

It probably is, in fact. It's just unfortunate that it's illegal.

Stupid is supposed to hurt, but school administrators seem to have STUPID almost locked up, and they rarely feel any hurt as a result. They need to start feeling some hurt.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 08:56:06 AM »
Stupid should hurt but can't because we've eliminated the consequences.  People as stupid as the principal should be prohibited from breeding.  The human gene pool can not continually turn out such idiocy without some sort of darwinian correction. 

I weep for my children.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 09:02:37 AM by Waitone »
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 09:16:36 AM »
Okay between the threats for bodily harm and the "queer" comments....

Frankly, I'm ashamed at some of ya'll.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”