Author Topic: Top Official Says Feds May Not Process Illegals Referred From Arizona  (Read 3573 times)

Desertdog

• friends
I do hope that AZ will do some kind of court action aganst the ICE if they do not process the captured illegals.

Top Official Says Feds May Not Process Illegals Referred From Arizona
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/21/official-says-feds-process-illegals-referred-arizona/

A top Department of Homeland Security official reportedly said his agency will not necessarily process illegal immigrants referred to them by Arizona authorities.

John Morton, assistant secretary of homeland security for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, made the comment during a meeting on Wednesday with the editorial board of the Chicago Tribune, the newspaper reports.

"I don't think the Arizona law, or laws like it, are the solution," Morton told the newspaper.

The best way to reduce illegal immigration is through a comprehensive federal approach, he said, and not a patchwork of state laws.

The law, which criminalizes being in the state illegally and requires authorities to check suspects for immigration status, is not "good government," Morton said.

In response to Morton's comments, DHS officials said President Obama has ordered the Department of Justice to examine the civil rights and other implications of the law.

"That review will inform the government's actions going forward," DHS spokesman Matt Chandler told Fox News on Friday.

Meanwhile, DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano said ICE is not obligated to process illegal immigrants referred to them by Arizona authorities.

"ICE has the legal discretion to accept or not to accept persons delivered to it by non-federal personnel," Napolitano said. "It also has the discretion to deport or not to deport persons delivered to it by any government agents, even its own."

Morton, according to a biography posted on ICE's website, began his federal service in 1994 and has held numerous positions at the Department of Justice, including as a trial attorney and special assistant to the general counsel in the former Immigration and Naturalization Service and as counsel to the deputy attorney general.

Border apprehensions in Arizona, where roughly 500,000 illegal immigrants are estimated to be living, are up 6 percent since October, according to federal statistics. Roughly 6.5 million residents live in Arizona.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
"ICE has the legal discretion to accept or not to accept persons delivered to it by non-federal personnel," Napolitano said. "It also has the discretion to deport or not to deport persons delivered to it by any government agents, even its own."

So the government isn't required to enforce the laws it makes.  That actually makes sense to me, nd I agree with it. 

But if DHS/ICE won't enforce their own laws, then they should stop complaining about AZ doing it for them.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Hmmm, maybe we can talk the feds into not enforcing gun laws? =D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Waitone

• friend
Stop the flow of taxes into federal coffers and the situation will change rapidly.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Desertdog

• friends
Stop the flow of taxes into federal coffers and the situation will change rapidly.
Thanks to the BO job stimulus plans, I think the tax flows has dropped considerably.

Desertdog

• friends
Time to build more Tent Prisons, load them up with  illegals and have them build a 15 foot, reinforced adobe wall around the southern border of AZ.  Low cost, effective wall.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
The best way to reduce illegal immigration is through a comprehensive federal approach, he said, and not a patchwork of state laws.

Which means, they will do same ol', same ol'.  The feds will do a few token busts a year, raid a factory that failed to 's properly grease some politico's war chest and the game goes on and on.

I think the best way for Arizona to deal with it's illegals is to put each one on a 1 way flight to Mexico city.  They may come back, but it will take some time and I think the ticket would be cheaper than prison.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

TexinMT

Time to build more Tent Prisons, load them up with  illegals and have them build a 15 foot, reinforced adobe wall around the southern border of AZ.  Low cost, effective wall.

What about forced labor?  Roads are always in need of repair, recycling centers need plastics sorted from glass. I'm sure there is a long list of things that need to be done.  When everything is perfect and there are no jobs left deport them.  If there is no incentive to come work an honest job and send money back home the only ones coming back would be the hardcore criminals.

longeyes

• friend
Only a matter of time before Obama sends in the Federal cavalry to ride to the rescue of the persecuted illegals.  Make no mistake: He is throwing down the gauntlet and daring a proportionate response.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

sanglant

• friend
they can always give them a free ride to the boarder of there choice. :angel: how many more illegals can CA hold? karma, it's a ..

longeyes

• friend
AZ is about to be turned into AL.

"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
AZ is about to be turned into AL.
'Splain please?

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
'Splain please?

He's probably thinking along the same lines I am when I say this whole situation reminds me of John C Calhoun and Andrew Jackson.

And you know what happened after THAT little episode.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
He's probably thinking along the same lines I am when I say this whole situation reminds me of John C Calhoun and Andrew Jackson.

And you know what happened after THAT little episode.
I don't (ignorant furriner). Could you tell, or link?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

longeyes

• friend
"Arizona" is Obama's way of replaying what happened in Alabama in the '60s--or, rather, trying to re-cast the entire issue in terms of the righteous application of civil rights against a regressive rebel State.  If the movement to put both The Law and the popular will first continues to mount, Obama will use Federal force on behalf of the illegals and justify it on international "human rights" grounds.  He certainly isn't going to bring down the force of government on border security.  His goal is amnesty aka "immigration reform."  We should have no doubts about that after the fiasco this last week with Calderon.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Isn't failing to "faithfully execute the laws" grounds for impeachment?  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

longeyes

• friend
Ah, the I-word rears its head.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Maybe when the AZ LEO's start flex-cuffing the apprehended illegals to the entrance doors and vehicles (both work and personal) of the ICE employees, then ICE may get the message....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

longeyes

• friend
We're heading for the 2010 version of, literally, a Mexican Stand-off.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

freakazoid

• friend
So it's ok for the Feds to ignore laws it doesn't like but not the states?  :facepalm:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
"Arizona" is Obama's way of replaying what happened in Alabama in the '60s--or, rather, trying to re-cast the entire issue in terms of the righteous application of civil rights against a regressive rebel State.  If the movement to put both The Law and the popular will first continues to mount, Obama will use Federal force on behalf of the illegals and justify it on international "human rights" grounds.  He certainly isn't going to bring down the force of government on border security.  His goal is amnesty aka "immigration reform."  We should have no doubts about that after the fiasco this last week with Calderon.
They try to paint every issue as similar to or the same as the black/white race issue.  Few buy it.  The majority of voters support Arizona. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend

Yes, but helping illegals stay in the country illegally is a far cry from enforcing a SCOTUS decision on black citizens.

I think Obama would probably find enough "federal force" to do this, but it would do very bad things to the morale and unit integrity of the remaining forces, and has a very high likelyhood (IMHO) of leading to real bloodshed.

Let's all sincerly hope the neither side is stupid enough to push this into the "Men with guns" arena, as if they do, there's no good outcome.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
I don't (ignorant furriner). Could you tell, or link?

John C Calhoun was Andrew Jackson's first Vice President, a vociferous South Carolinian defendant of States' rights and overall PITA to the Jackson administration. He and Jackson butted heads publicly a few times over States rights issues.

This struggle is best summed up in the story of a dinner where both were in attendance. Jackson toasted "Our Federal Union: it must be preserved." Calhoun toasted back, "The Union, next to our Liberty most dear."

History does indeed repeat itself.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
John C Calhoun was Andrew Jackson's first Vice President, a vociferous South Carolinian defendant of States' rights and overall PITA to the Jackson administration. He and Jackson butted heads publicly a few times over States rights issues.

This struggle is best summed up in the story of a dinner where both were in attendance. Jackson toasted "Our Federal Union: it must be preserved." Calhoun toasted back, "The Union, next to our Liberty most dear."

History does indeed repeat itself.
Ah, I knew about Calhoun being Jackson's VP, and that Jackson supposedly said: "I have only two regrets: I didn't shoot Henry Clay and I didn't hang John C. Calhoun." Didn't know why though. =)
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MicroBalrog

• friend
"The law, which criminalizes being in the state illegally"

Criminalizes.... being in the state... illegally... does the reporter understand what he wrote?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner