Author Topic: SOS!!  (Read 4593 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
SOS!!
« on: May 24, 2010, 07:10:27 AM »
 =D

In case any of you are interested in helping history along...

Hello Everyone,
It's been a while since my last message, but I prefer to stick to important news releases instead of annoying you with trivial ones.

Once in a while I hear from detractors who question why we are bothering to try to save "an old rust bucket", and I'm sure you have, too. On May 18, 2010, a group of our people were at the Philly shipyard, collecting items from "to be scrapped" ships, which we will need to restore the Adams. The following link is for a pdf file that was put together by that team, and if this doesn't convince the skeptics, I don't know what will. She may be a bit sad looking on the outside, but just take a look at the inside!

http://www.adamsclassmuseum.org/Documents/Ship_Visit_May_18_2010.pdf

I expect all of you to dedicate the upcoming Memorial Day Weekend to drumming up support and funds for our project.

Well, not really, but that sure would be nice! :-)

Have a nice - and safe - weekend.

Jim

-- Jim Bosworth
Webmaster – DDG-2 Site
http://www.bozair.com/DDG-2/index.html
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
Re: SOS!!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 07:20:26 AM »
Wow, I could not have imagined it would be so pristine inside. Amazing. To me it's like stepping back, hmmm, 35 years.  :O

After steering/After diesel, mine.

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 06:12:46 PM »
Cool stuff.
Whats with the red paint thats been slopped around in several of the pics. Is it marks for the de-milling process or or something else?
I've been on a few de-milled subs and ships as well as seen loads of pictures and have never seen red paint like that.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 06:26:41 PM »
Sorry to sound a pessimistic note, but I can't help thinking the fundraising effort might be more effective if the guy who put that photo tour together could at least write in English. Most of his comments wouldn't satisfy a 7th grade composition teacher.

Other than that, the ship was a beauty and I, too, am mildly amazed at how intact it seems to be. Great photos.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 06:37:25 PM »
The guy writes like a sailor, one each.

I like it. I want it.
Blog under construction

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 06:39:10 PM »
Will this be the flagship of the APS anti-pirate armada?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 07:34:50 PM »
DEMILED

So somewhere along the way the Navy paid sailors to go through the ship and break things with hammers ?   =(

Is there an MOS for that?  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 08:21:39 PM »
I'm not sure about the red splotches. It does appear demiled (demilitarized) means break stuf so it can't be used anymore. I'm a little surpprised at all the electronic equipment they were able to scrounge up. I was under the impression that the sunk these things way out so noone could get their hands on the electronics but I guess not.

As far as an MOS. I suspect the decommissioning crew did all the demiling so the only way to get to do that is to somehow get yourself staioned on a ship about to be decommed.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 06:41:03 PM »
So somewhere along the way the Navy paid sailors to go through the ship and break things with hammers ?   sad

Is there an MOS for that?  undecided

Bosn's mate.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 08:57:50 PM »
Well, I had a buddy who was in the Army in Germany.

One of his tasks over there was to drive 6x6 trucks over brand new in the box pool tables.  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 06:56:37 AM »
Nice...

I do recall a story where the supply guy for some shop on a carrier wanted 100 lbs of sand for sand blasting. So he ended up with 100 x 100 lb bags of sand. So he asked his Chief what he should do with it and the Chief told him, "Make it disappear." Anybody know the best way to make 9,900 lbs of sand disappear on a ship?  [popcorn]

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 08:31:08 AM »
Anybody know the best way to make 9,900 lbs of sand disappear on a ship? 

I am sure if a person (or country) had a good enough magnometer you could follow the trail of metal on the ocean floor from Norfolk to Rota and also from San Diego to Pearl Harbor.  =D

bob

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 09:58:57 AM »
I am sure if a person (or country) had a good enough magnometer you could follow the trail of metal on the ocean floor from Norfolk to Rota and also from San Diego to Pearl Harbor.  =D

bob

And from England to New York and the Philippines to Pearl. The navy vets can tell you about all the stuff that was ditched on the way back home. More was left in place than dumped, though.

The war was over; it cost less to make a new (fill in the blank) than to haul the used, beat up one home. The stuff had to be water- and salt-proofed to make the trip, so it wasn't worth the effort.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 10:03:44 AM »
So somewhere along the way the Navy paid sailors to go through the ship and break things with hammers ?   =(

Is there an MOS for that?

Marine.  Hammers optional.

Anybody know the best way to make 9,900 lbs of sand disappear on a ship?

Add it to the powdered eggs.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 10:15:30 AM »
Add it to the powdered eggs.

How would you tell the difference?  =D

They should have kept a coop full of hens on the fantail  ;)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 03:10:39 PM »
Nice...

I do recall a story where the supply guy for some shop on a carrier wanted 100 lbs of sand for sand blasting. So he ended up with 100 x 100 lb bags of sand. So he asked his Chief what he should do with it and the Chief told him, "Make it disappear." Anybody know the best way to make 9,900 lbs of sand disappear on a ship?  [popcorn]

Float test it of course.

Neat stuff on the old girl. Some Navy stuff is universal, sound powered phones, battle lanterns and such. Didn't see any fire extinguishers, might want to add a few.
Also saw some radar equipment I was familiar with from the countermeasures side.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

280plus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 03:33:06 PM »
Repair 5 was my GQ station, funny looking in there (or a space similar to there) again.  [popcorn]

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 03:47:47 PM »
Well, I had a buddy who was in the Army in Germany.

One of his tasks over there was to drive 6x6 trucks over brand new in the box pool tables.  ;/

This stupid *expletive deleted*it is why I got out of government employment. I couldn't take destroying perfectly good stuff just so we could have more and better stuff.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!