Author Topic: What handgun for a Grizzly? Questioned answered. Sort of.  (Read 3418 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Don't know how big the bear was. But I guess either the guy got lucky or the .45 will do for bear. I'm inclined to think the former.

Backpackper Shoots, Kills Grizzly in Alaska Park
May 31, 2010 6:13 AM EDT
ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- Officials say a backpacker shot and killed a grizzly bear with his handgun in Alaska's Denali National Park.

Park spokeswoman Kris Fister says man and woman reported that they were hiking Friday evening when the bear emerged from trailside brush and charged the woman.

Fister says the man fired nine rounds from his .45 caliber, semiautomatic pistol at the animal, which then stopped and walked into the brush.

On Saturday, rangers found the dead bear about 100 feet from the shooting site.

Rangers say it was the first known instance of a grizzly bear being shot by a visitor in the wilderness portion of Denali.

http://us.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html?page=23848&external=306768.proteus.fma

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: What handgun for a Grizzly? Questioned answered. Sort of.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 11:15:32 AM »
And the PETA/Timothy Treadwell types begin screaming about "mindless slaughter of a poor innocent bear" in 3.. 2.. 1..

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 11:19:54 AM »
Got lucky.

But then, with griz you need all the luck you can get, regardless of caliber.

My "bear gun" is a .45 Vaquero with hot 300 grain loads.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 11:35:56 AM »
"But then, with griz you need all the luck you can get,"

Perzactly, and...wait I think ya got the cart 'fore the horse, there.

.460 Rowland? (in a 1911)
.454 Casull?
40mm  launcher? lol

We got nukes, knives, pointed sticks, hell we got sonic, electronic **** breakers.

Sorry.

"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 12:14:22 PM »
Bare minimum (pun intended) for me would be a .500 Smith, 4", ported.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 03:38:46 PM »
This is why we need to keep bear arms.  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zahc

• friend
Hiker shoots, kills grizzley bear in Alaska national park
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 05:36:56 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100531/ap_on_re_us/us_hiker_kills_grizzly

9 rounds from a .45 semi-auto, it says. It's funny that it's legal to carry guns there, but illegal to discharge them.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 06:22:01 PM »
all the guy really needed was a .22LR revolver, you simply shoot the other person in the knee then run away. ... works like a charm :lol:

Hmmm, nine rounds? did he reload? maybe it was a .45acp but not a 1911?, personally I would carry a 45/70 guide gun.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 06:23:06 PM »
Topics merged.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 07:14:06 PM »
the marines will love this one
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/13539456/detail.html
HELEN, Ga. -- An ex-Marine used a whole lot of bravery and a little bit of luck in a harrowing encounter with a black bear.

Norcross resident Christ Everhart took his three boys on their first camping trip to the Chattahoochee National Forest last weekend. There, a 300 pound bear set her sights on their cooler. But when Chris’ son distracted the wild animal, the bear dropped the cooler and headed for the 6-year-old boy.

“He held it right here then he threw it and it went rolling and struck the bear right there,” said Jake Everhart.

Eleven-year-old Jake described how his dad kept a 300 pound black bear away from his youngest brother, Logan.

Chris Everhart and his sons were packing up after dinner when they got the unexpected guest.

The bear sunk her teeth into their cooler and was headed to the woods. Then 6-year-old Logan took action.

“I got a shovel and I tried to scare it,” said Logan.

But Logan was the one who ended up getting scared and getting the bear’s attention. The bear dropped the cooler and headed towards Logan, growling.

“When Logan was being chased by the bear, I threw about five rocks at the bear to keep him away,” said Kyle Everhart.

The boys’ dad, an ex-Marine, knew he had to do something. So he grabbed the closes thing he could find – a log.

“(I) threw it at it and it happened to hit the bear in the head and I thought it just knocked it out but it actually ended up killing the bear,” said Chris.

Chris’ family will never forget the camping trip. Chris even ended up being cited for not properly storing his food, but that’s not what he feels bad about.

“I feel bad about killing the bear,” said Chris.

Officials from the Department of Natural Resources said there has never been a bear attack in Georgia. But they said there is no way to predict how wild animals will behave. The best advice is to keep food and garbage away from the reach of bears.

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 07:47:41 PM »
Chris’ family will never forget the camping trip. Chris even ended up being cited for not properly storing his food, but that’s not what he feels bad about.

Nice. Save your son, get a ticket.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 08:08:13 PM »
all the guy really needed was a .22LR revolver, you simply shoot the other person in the knee then run away. ... works like a charm :lol:

Hmmm, nine rounds? did he reload? maybe it was a .45acp but not a 1911?, personally I would carry a 45/70 guide gun.

Eight round mags are pretty typical with 1911 guys, that equals 9 with one in the pipe.

I hope it is determined that this was a good shoot, I'm not sure doing a mag dump on a grizzly that wasn't charging is going to be considered a good shoot.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 09:29:20 PM »
Nice. Save your son, get a ticket.

the ticket was for improper food storage.  which is a great way to set up a bear encounter. the bear should not have been able mto get to cooler and the kid would not have to go after it with a shovel
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 09:37:55 PM »
are there three topics here or thread drift?
what caliber was the log?
What was a Grizz doing in Georgia? didn't it read the book? there aint no Grizz in Georgia!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 09:52:44 PM »
black bear in georgia. and the guy threw it and hit the bear in the head and killed it. i'd like a pic of the log. guy et big cred for taking care of his kid.  and it is much harder to do safe food handling with a kid. even eating snacks in your tent is a no no. gets the tent smelling like food. its a great way to ruin a good tent .

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 09:59:11 PM »
black bear in georgia. and the guy threw it and hit the bear in the head and killed it. i'd like a pic of the log. guy et big cred for taking care of his kid.  and it is much harder to do safe food handling with a kid. even eating snacks in your tent is a no no. gets the tent smelling like food. its a great way to ruin a good tent .

Wait a minnit the bear wasn't shot? he threw a bear? A Marine threw a black bear at a grizz or did he throw a grizz at a grizz, figures. ... if he was Army he would have thrown a grizz, those Marines, always throwing little black bears around  :cool: :mad: =D :angel: :laugh:

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 03:49:19 AM »
the ticket was for improper food storage.  which is a great way to set up a bear encounter. the bear should not have been able mto get to cooler and the kid would not have to go after it with a shovel

I've never quite figured out how to camp or have a picnic without ever taking your food out of the "proper storage" - unless you all get inside the storage to eat the food, in which case it hardly qualifies as a picnic or camping anymore  =|

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 04:48:55 AM »
Suspended in mid-air from a tree away from camp is the best, I've heard...
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 06:14:32 AM »

Hmmm, nine rounds? did he reload? maybe it was a .45acp but not a 1911?...

Not a problem for a Glock or HK or FN.....maybe it was modified to handle .45Super/.460Rowland.....

I wouldn't go into bear country with anything less than a .357MAG and 180gr. loads....the .45ACP just doesn't have enough penetration...even a 9mm would do better....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 08:39:09 AM »
Suspended in mid-air from a tree away from camp is the best, I've heard...

Yes or in one of those bear proof metal boxes you see out West at US Forest Service campsites.

I hang my food in the BW anytime it will unattended.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 02:42:16 PM »
I've never quite figured out how to camp or have a picnic without ever taking your food out of the "proper storage" - unless you all get inside the storage to eat the food, in which case it hardly qualifies as a picnic or camping anymore  =|

Marines don't have to worry about storage, any bear that comes close will be properly thrown at any other bear that attempts to take an unauthorized snack

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 03:10:02 PM »
“(I) threw it at it and it happened to hit the bear in the head and I thought it just knocked it out but it actually ended up killing the bear,” said Chris.

Definitely settles this thread at TFL in favor of pointy stick...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185348
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 04:21:51 PM »
Marines don't have to worry about storage, any bear that comes close will be properly thrown at any other bear that attempts to take an unauthorized snack
I have to wonder how many SAWs it would take to stop a charging bear. And frag grenades.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010, 12:50:13 AM »
 [popcorn]
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.