Author Topic: Ultra-accurate, semi-auto varmint rifle?  (Read 11766 times)

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
Re: Ultra-accurate, semi-auto varmint rifle?
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 11:33:22 AM »
22-50 ought to get the job done.
Look, tiny text!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »
With proper bullets a .223 will do for any varmint; this means some kind of expanding bullet. Military FMJ ammo depends on post-impact tumbling and fragmentation for its terminal effect, and I haven't seen this on small critters. A good expanding bullet will do for varmints at any range you can reasonably hit them at. Service rifle match shooters fire the .223 at up to 600 yards, so in principle, a 'scoped .223 should do for varmints at 400m . . . but you better have both good ammo and a good rifle to snipe the little critters that far out.

And though it would not be my first choice, a .223 will do for deer as well, with both good bullets and good shot placement. (Last time I looked, Nosler did make a .223 or .224 Partition bullet) But I wouldn't go shooting deer at 400m with one . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 01:36:37 PM »
Thing is, anything that will hold together enough to dispatch deer at moderate range will not disintegrate at long range.  The farmer in question will likely have to settle on either having to do a mag change to use different bullet types or settle on a compromise load.

Frankly, the requirements listed are going to be very tough to meet:
* 400m varmint-accurate
* Powerful enough for deer
* Rapid firing (semi-auto)

Well, that's what I was getting at.  One shouldn't be using a big heavy round for the "usual" kind of varmint shooting.  (I declined to comment on the other direction, using varmint cartridges on larger game.)

Yes, I know there are guys trying to bust prairie dogs at a mile or more, but that's specialized shooting in specialized areas.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2010, 03:22:30 PM »
22-50 ought to get the job done.

Would a 22-50 be the next step up from this?  :laugh:

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2010, 07:20:33 PM »
Well, that's what I was getting at.  One shouldn't be using a big heavy round for the "usual" kind of varmint shooting.

Is .243/6mm really considered a 'big heavy round'? I always considered .223 a close/medium range varmint round. Good for short stuff, crows in the garden. 22-250, 220 swift, 6mm remington are the real, long-range groundhog rounds to me.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
^ No, I've used several 6mm rifles, but as I say, for the low-angle shooting I was doing, they did ricochet too much for my comfort level. It's just a question of degree.  I was exaggerating a little when I said "big, heavy bullets" for the sake of making a point. Most of my prairie dog shooting was nearish to urbanish areas... small farms and ranches fairly close to each other, and you can't be sure of where a bullet or, almost as important, where its sound might end up.   You know what happens:  "Why, I heard that bullet zing right by my head --I coulda been killed," just because they heard a ricochet two pastures over.

So I figure the less metal in a bullet, the less I could have "killed" anyone with a "pwaaannng."

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:25:41 PM by 230RN »

nico

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2010, 10:04:03 AM »
As someone suggested, if you want something that's suitable for varmints and deer at several hundred yards, your best bet would be to carry at least two magazines: one with your varmint load, and one with your deer load.  Otherwise, you run into problems with the laws of physics. 

The AR platform has gotten to the level that you can get all but benchrest accuracy out of it if you're willing to pay.  What's the maximum price range we're talking here?

If the sky's the limit, I don't think you could go wrong with a JP LR-07 or GA Precision AR-10.  The GAP starts at $2500 and the JP starts at ~$3200, and you can talk to either them about what exactly you're looking for.  I'd be very surprised if either shop let an AR out the door that didn't shoot well under 1moa. 

If you're looking for something a little more budget-oriented, like someone said, I've heard the RRA Varminters are tack drivers in .223 and would imagine they'd be very accurate in .308 too. 

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2010, 11:35:30 AM »
As someone suggested, if you want something that's suitable for varmints and deer at several hundred yards, your best bet would be to carry at least two magazines: one with your varmint load, and one with your deer load.  Otherwise, you run into problems with the laws of physics.

And you run into the laws of optics.  You'd better have darned good positive adjustments on your sights if you change loads back and forth.

Well, to each his own.  The strictures provided herein ( precision semiauto suitable for both varmints and deer (at least for the kind of varmint shooting I used to do)) are pretty hard to adequately meet without beaucoup bucks, in my opinion. 

Sort of like a Honda CL-350 motorcycle I had once.  Supposed to be good for both street and trail, but wasn't much good for either.

Besides, if one rifle is good, two are better.  =D  Anyone disagree with that?  [popcorn]

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 11:43:07 AM by 230RN »

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2010, 02:43:35 PM »
Would a 22-50 be the next step up from this?  :laugh:

Pretty much. Same concept using a 50 cal casing.
Look, tiny text!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »

The AR platform has gotten to the level that you can get all but benchrest accuracy out of it if you're willing to pay.  What's the maximum price range we're talking here?

If the sky's the limit, I don't think you could go wrong with a JP LR-07 or GA Precision AR-10.  The GAP starts at $2500 and the JP starts at ~$3200, and you can talk to either them about what exactly you're looking for.  I'd be very surprised if either shop let an AR out the door that didn't shoot well under 1moa. 

If you're looking for something a little more budget-oriented, like someone said, I've heard the RRA Varminters are tack drivers in .223 and would imagine they'd be very accurate in .308 too. 

At distance you'll be swapping dope if you swap magazines.  A few inches here and there and you'll miss by a country mile at three or four hundred.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2010, 04:15:37 PM »
At distance you'll be swapping dope if you swap magazines.  A few inches here and there and you'll miss by a country mile at three or four hundred.

I think a mil-dot scope would help.  Zero set at "way out there" and for closer shooting at deer hold on one of the mil-dots.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2010, 04:47:52 PM »
If you weren't concerned about money, you could also get a couple of good scope mounts from LaRue Tactical and just swap out scopes.   :cool:
I have one of those and it works very very well.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2010, 04:50:26 PM »
That GA Precision rifle looks pretty good.  Cheaper than a lot of the rifles I looked at recently.  I decided I wanted an accurate 308 and looked at AR10's first.  The cost seemed to go from reasonable to WTF?! really quick.  I have pretty much decided to look at a decent heavy barrel bolt action instead.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge