Author Topic: ammonia reactivity  (Read 11793 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
ammonia reactivity
« on: June 06, 2010, 07:47:42 PM »
Weird question: what metals are generally non-reactive with ammonia?

Near as I can figure, stainless steel is about it.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
Re: ammonia reactivity
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 09:20:36 PM »
Gold
Look, tiny text!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 09:40:15 PM »
Mild steel as well...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 09:47:53 PM »
titanium

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

taurusowner

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 10:24:57 PM »
Isn't gold non reactive with pretty much everything?

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 11:11:12 PM »

Yep.
Look, tiny text!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 01:49:28 AM »
Unobtainium.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 03:24:41 AM »
Except for wimmens.

:)
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 04:03:58 AM »
H1? when there's no budget, i know just what you need. [popcorn]

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 06:53:08 AM »
Weird question: what metals are generally non-reactive with ammonia?

Plastic.

Yes, it's a metal.  The chemists have their conspiracies too.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 09:25:32 AM »
Plastic.

Yes, it's a metal.  The chemists have their conspiracies too.

How can plastic be a metal when it's mostly hydrocarbons, and neither hydrogen or carbon are metals...?
Look, tiny text!

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 09:38:14 AM »
How can plastic be a metal when it's mostly hydrocarbons, and neither hydrogen or carbon are metals...?

Have you verified this yourself, using equipment that you built from scratch?

Conspiracies among scientists run deep, and they have years of schooling in how to maintain the illusions.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 09:50:02 AM »

What you do, see, is take something that's long chains of non-metallic hydrogen and carbon atoms and say that it's something consisting of metallic atoms.  Why?  Well... because you can.

Having trouble sleeping?  Ask a chemist how shampoo works.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 09:53:55 AM »
Most ammonia systems I see in plants are either carbon steel or stainless steel.  Avoid copper alloys. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 10:20:26 AM »
Get a kitten.

Wait one year.

Whatever isn't ruined is "Ammonia Resistant".
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 12:35:57 PM »
Hydrogen can be a metal . . .

Quote from: wisegeek.com
Metallic hydrogen is a sort of super-compressed hydrogen found in the cores of gas giants and stars. As hydrogen tops the Periodic Table's alkali metal column, it has been known for a while it has the potential to be a metal, but only under extreme pressures. Metallic hydrogen is crushed so closely that the atomic nuclei are separated only by a dense electron soup which flows between them. It is significantly less dense than neutronium, however, where the electrons merge together with the protons in hydrogen to make neutrons. Like all metals, metallic hydrogen is conductive and requires an electrical current to measure the presence of metallization.

Metallic hydrogen was only synthesized under laboratory conditions as recently as 1996, at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. It only existed for about a microsecond, and required temperatures of thousands of degrees and pressure over a million atmospheres to achieve. This was a surprise, as it was previously thought that solid (very cold) hydrogen was required to produce metallic hydrogen. Previous experiments subjected solid hydrogen to pressures up to 2.5 million atmospheres, with the absence of any detectable metallization, so the experiment involving the compression of hot hydrogen was set up to measure other properties of the material, not with the intention of producing metallic hydrogen. Nevertheless, that's how metallic hydrogen was first made.

Although the metallic hydrogen produced at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory was solid, it has been theorized that it may be possible to create liquid metallic hydrogen, if even greater pressures, around 4 million atmospheres, are used. Calculations have also determined that metallic hydrogen might be a superconductor at room temperature, although this property would be somewhat useless for practical purposes, as the cost of compressing something to over a million atmospheres for an extended period of time is much greater than cooling something down to near absolute zero. However, there is a small chance that metastable metallic hydrogen might be possible -- that is, metallic hydrogen which retains its phase even when the pressure is removed.

It is thought that metallic hydrogen exists in the cores of the larger gas giants in our solar system: Jupiter and Saturn, as well as a hydrogen shell near the core of the Sun.

Don't store your aqua regia in a gold bottle . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

280plus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 12:43:13 PM »
Mmmm, electron soup!  [tinfoil]

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 12:46:24 PM »
I wonder what meta-stable Metallic Hydrogen would be like? Just how stable is meta-stable?

Would it be soft, like metallic Sodium?  

With such a high proton density, it would make an excellent light-weight radiation shield for spacecraft.  It would probably also make a great fuel, very compact.
I promise not to duck.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 12:52:22 PM »
Plus there's soup!

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 01:01:30 PM »
I wonder what meta-stable Metallic Hydrogen would be like?

Like plastic.  That whole "extreme pressure and temperature" thing was just another part of the coverup; somebody outside the conspiracy got too close to seeing through their ruse, and they had to come up with something to explain away his research.

They get really in-depth with these things; look at all they're doing to fake the whole "oil spill" in the Gulf of Mexico just to cover up the dumping from Al Gore's last fleet oil change.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 01:12:41 PM »
Remember, the Catholic Church is in on it. So when the SHTF if you really want to survive head for the nearest Catholic church and you'll be safe. They're all prepared, they have bunkers and everything. It's true, Bill the painter told me so. He thought I would think he was just a nut cause he was just a lowly painter but he was wrong, I believed every word he said.  [popcorn]

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 01:25:11 PM »
I thought if you just froze hydrogen it turned out to be metallic.  (−259.14 °C)
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 02:38:32 PM »
I thought if you just froze hydrogen it turned out to be metallic.  (−259.14 °C)

And if you freeze dihydrogen monoxide it turns out to be really slick. =D

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 03:18:11 PM »
And if you freeze dihydrogen monoxide it turns out to be really slick. =D

Brad
Problem is, it's more of a pollutant than carbon dioxide - I mean, the very water we drink, even if purified and filtered, still has it in very high concentration.  :O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2010, 03:23:31 PM »
Problem is, it's more of a pollutant than carbon dioxide - I mean, the very water we drink, even if purified and filtered, still has it in very high concentration.  :O

I hear it's been found to be present in over 95% of cancerous tumors, too, but there's no carcinogen warning for it.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.