Author Topic: (formerly)Great Britain drops another notch  (Read 5362 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
(formerly)Great Britain drops another notch
« on: June 11, 2010, 08:33:20 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1285625/Dog-owners-walk-pets-leads-longer-68-face-1-000-fines.html#ixzz0qXwWmk9Q

Wardens in Greater Manchester have been ordered to target anyone using a lead longer than 6ft 8in with the threat of a £1,000 fine.
Officials claim the tough rule - brought in by the last Government - is necessary to prevent dogs roaming out of control and to curb fouling. But they admit there have been no complaints

Anf further:
Earlier this year Newark and Sherwood Council in Nottinghamshire banned dogs altogether in 72 parks with the threat of £75 on-the-spot fines.

On-the-spot fines?!?  Do you get arrested and thrown into the Poorhouse if you don't have the cash on you?

And all this is instead of enforcing the laws they already have against not picking up your dog's poo.

Does anybody still wonder why we threw the bastiges out?  Those repressive taxes, the quartering of troops, and all was bad enough, but "six foot, eight inches" as opposed to six foot, nine inches, or six foot, seven inches?? What's the reason for the odd length - other than they are bonkers?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
Re: (formerly)Great Britain drops another notch
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 08:56:58 AM »
I sometimes believe that the police here (or rather, those that control them) find it easier to make examples of (mostly good) folk that fall foul of unjust, or at the least, less important laws.
Less hassle than going after the real, hardened, violent criminals. Makes them look good too, when they have high arrest rates.

To be honest though, I think most of our police men and women are good guys that are just bound up in so much red tape, paperwork, and are still expected to hit quotas.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 09:47:15 AM »
Does anybody still wonder why we threw the bastiges out?  Those repressive taxes, the quartering of troops, and all was bad enough, but "six foot, eight inches" as opposed to six foot, nine inches, or six foot, seven inches?? What's the reason for the odd length - other than they are bonkers?

Well then, there is that little thing about shooting people down for 17.75" shotgun barrels.   :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 10:37:28 AM »
I sometimes believe that the police here (or rather, those that control them) find it easier to make examples of (mostly good) folk that fall foul of unjust, or at the least, less important laws.
Less hassle than going after the real, hardened, violent criminals. Makes them look good too, when they have high arrest rates.

To be honest though, I think most of our police men and women are good guys that are just bound up in so much red tape, paperwork, and are still expected to hit quotas.

I occasionally read on Coppersblog. Ex-UK copper who moved to Canada. The differences would make one believe he's on a completely different planet. From what I've read, they have a minimum of paperwork, and instead favor such willy-nilly concepts like actually catching criminals and such. He seems happier there than in the UK...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 04:23:10 PM »
6' 8" comes out to about 2 meters. Since it's the UK I would think the law on the books uses 2 meters as the measurement. It is strange that a UK website with UK news would use feet and inches.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 04:51:54 PM »
Most people I know can use Metric and Imperial measurements interchangeably. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the law is written with the metric measurement, as you say.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 09:20:40 AM »
Most people I know can use Metric and Imperial measurements interchangeably. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the law is written with the metric measurement, as you say.

The people you know must be a lot better with the metric system than those I have known. Pharmacists and drug dealers seam to have the weight conversions down pat, and hard scientists the distance and temperature conversions, but for the majority of Americans (like me) it seems that the process involves contorting your face into a ridiculous shape and going through a ridiculous mental process of "....o.k., 2.2 pounds to a kilo, so 73 kilos equals x pounds (calculator)..."
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 09:51:40 AM »
6' 8" comes out to about 2 meters. Since it's the UK I would think the law on the books uses 2 meters as the measurement.
C'mon, this is England!  They are known for their odd, eccentric measurements.  That 6'8" dimension is probably the width of a standard tractor, or maybe the farthest jump that a Yorkshire Terrier has made in competition.  =D
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 11:18:26 AM »
The people you know must be a lot better with the metric system than those I have known.
I'm very used to using metric measurements of length - it's part of my job. Likewise weight. And volumes aren't too hard to manage, either.

But for everyday use, I prefer Fahrenheit to measure temperature rather than centigrade (note, I didn't write Celsius) . . . and when checking my tires, I'll stick to PSI, thank you very much . . . you can keep your kilopascals.

So there!

(Wish I had a link to the old SNL skit where they were introducing a metric alphabet . . . )
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 02:17:53 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 12:45:19 PM »
(Wish I had a link to the old SNL skit where they were introducing a metric alphabet . . . )

Transcript of said skit:

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/75/75rdecabet.phtml

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 01:06:05 PM »
Every now and then I've been able to convince some of my more dim-witted compatriots that they need to do "metric time conversions" when dealing with Europe and the "10 hour day".  >:D

Usually the same people I can convince to go out side, look up, and wave after showing them Google Earth, or Google Street View... Even when the pictures aren't from the same season, or noticeably different times of day or weather.
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 02:56:01 PM »
Transcript of said skit:

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/75/75rdecabet.phtml

Ahhhh, the days when SNL was orginal and FUNNY !!!!

AJ, I've played the "go outside and wave" trick on a whole bunch of people.....Some can even see the others waving..... =| :facepalm: ;/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 02:47:57 PM »
C'mon, this is England!  They are known for their odd, eccentric measurements.  That 6'8" dimension is probably the width of a standard tractor, or maybe the farthest jump that a Yorkshire Terrier has made in competition.

A friend of mine in college bought an Austin-Healy.  We were all standing around admiring it and naturally someone asked how many horsepower it was.

Haughty, veddy veddy British-nose-in-the-air-sounding reply:

"We don't measure those in horsepower. We use stone-furlongs per fortnight."

Me go now.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 02:52:56 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 07:41:04 PM »
Yes, quite.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 10:27:16 PM »
80 inches - not so odd if you look at it that way ...  =|

Just be careful - nylon leash might stretch to a felonious 80 1/4 "    =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Iain

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 08:40:32 AM »
It'll be 2 metres, but the Daily Wail will refuse to use any sort of metric measurement.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 01:10:26 AM »
     I have a suggestion for you Ian, if you ever get bored. I have a fairly good idea of the political/cultural tilt of your main newspapers, because I read them online, but I'll bet a lot of our friends here on the board don't.  If you felt like doing a community service, you could write a review of major British papers, so those who don't could know how much salt to take their articles from British papers with, when they get linked by Drudge.

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"