Author Topic: Cleaning & Painting Concrete Garage Floor  (Read 13671 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Cleaning & Painting Concrete Garage Floor
« on: June 15, 2010, 03:47:51 PM »
Howdy:

I might get the opportunity to clean & paint my garage floor this summer.

I was wondering if any of y'all have ever done so and if you have any tips to impart: Process, materials, tools, etc.

("Green side up," while helpful in some situations, might not be helpful this time 'round.)
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

esheato

• friend
Re: Cleaning & Painting Concrete Garage Floor
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 04:06:53 PM »
I epoxied mine a few years ago...used it as a shop floor so no cars on it, but it held up quite well and hid most of the dirt.

I will say this...like anything, it's all in the prep.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 05:31:06 PM »
Wash first with Spic-n-Span. Then wash with a mild muriatic acid solution to etch the concrete (sold at home centers as drain cleaner and as masonry cleaner). Flush well with clear water, and then allow to dry thoroughly.

Paint.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 05:39:54 PM »
Wash first with Spic-n-Span. Then wash with a mild muriatic acid solution to etch the concrete (sold at home centers as drain cleaner and as masonry cleaner). Flush well with clear water, and then allow to dry thoroughly.
Good advice. If you don't get that concrete clean your paint will peel and chip in a very short span of time.
Also paint on concrete can be slicker than snail snot when its wet, I see a lot of guys sprinkle a little sand on the paint before it dries for traction. They also sell little plastic dots you can sprinkle(much like sand 'cept it gives you a polka dot effect).

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 05:41:03 PM »
power washer is helpful on initial scrub and second rinse after acid  no power washer around for rinsing acid solution,  did i mention parks cars and bikes away from acid? :angel:
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 09:01:07 PM »
Don't try to stretch out the coverage of the paint. If you use sprinkles, paint a small area, then sprinkle. If you try to do too big an area, the paint will be drier than it should be and the sparkles will not adhere well.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 09:12:12 PM »
You've already had a lot of good advice.

But just in case nobody said it. CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 09:48:20 PM »
Just remember nothing cleans concrete like detcord, well maybe napalm.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 10:16:06 PM »
Recently talked to a guy who did it.  His neighbor had done it, too.  Neighbor did a bad job, and he learned from his mistakes.
Clean the hell out of the floor.  You should be able to eat off it.
Stay off the paint for the recomended time frame and maybe an extra day or two.

Yeah, but dedcord doesn't stick to kids.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 10:29:07 PM »

Nuke it from orbit....it's the only way to be sure it's clean....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 10:30:13 PM »
Buy the two-part epoxy paint kit. They sell a one-part paint they say is "epoxy" but it isn't. It's epoxy fortified concrete latex etc. And it'll peel up within a year or less.
I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 10:50:54 PM »

Not sure how helpful this will be, because a lot of other folks have touched on it.   Clean to a level an OCD would think excessive, and go expensive on your epoxy paint. 

At work, we roll a lot of aircraft around on our painted concrete.  Stuff holds up to an impressive degree.  I could inquire to the brand we used if you're interested?

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 11:42:13 PM »
don't forget the sand,(or other grip enhancer) the stuff is slick as... well it's slick without it. [tinfoil]

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 11:56:04 PM »
don't forget the sand,(or other grip enhancer) the stuff is slick as... well it's slick without it. [tinfoil]

best when wet with just a lil oil in the mix   like ice that doesn't melt
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 11:58:18 PM »
Forget the sand, forget the paint.

Clean well and cover the entire floor in skateboard tape.  =D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

DonTron

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 12:20:30 AM »
I painted a new garage floor last month.  I used a 2-part epoxy concrete floor paint kit which included cleaner and some decorative traction stuff, but I used sand instead. It was $80 per kit, which has 1 gallon of paint and is supposed to cover 250 sq ft. I had 380 sq ft, plus 3-8 inches of concrete block wall, which being rough and porous was thirsty. I used 2 kits and ended up with about a quart left over.

I chose a color and the paint store added pigment at no cost. I thought about white to give it that aircraft hangar look, but ended up going with light gray.

As stated by others, prep is 90%.  Clean, clean, clean.  You'll need a deck brush or stiff push broom for scrubbing, and a 3' squeegee to remove the rinse water after cleaning. My garage floor has a steep slope (6" in 18') which helped a lot in removing water.

You can mix the sand into the paint or sprinkle it on after. I tried both techniques, both worked. If you mix it in, stir thoroughly and often or it'll settle quickly. If you sprinkle, practice first so you can lay it down uniformly. It doesn't take much.

The floor has to be above 50F for proper epoxy cure. Needless to say the epoxy has a pot life after mixing which depends on ambient temperature, the kit gives the specs on this.

I thought my floor came out great, but maybe this was just a pigment of my imagination ...

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 12:22:23 AM »
Not sure how helpful this will be, because a lot of other folks have touched on it.   Clean to a level an OCD would think excessive, and go expensive on your epoxy paint. 

At work, we roll a lot of aircraft around on our painted concrete.  Stuff holds up to an impressive degree.  I could inquire to the brand we used if you're interested?

Please, do ask, for I am interested.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

sanglant

• friend

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 04:04:32 AM »
Astroturf.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 09:10:52 AM »
A pressure washer is a good first step (use a surface cleaner) but you'll probably want to go over it with a good detergent as well - it's amazing how stubborn tire marks and oil  stains can be. And of course, muriatic acid with a THOROUGH rinse afterwards is the final step in surface prep. (I've seen some recommendatioins of a baking soda rinse after the acid.) And let the floor dry thoroughly as well before applying the epoxy.

A friend of mine used one of those two-part epoxy mixes from Home Depot or Lowe's - the kind that has a packet of colored plastic flecs included. He's happy with the way the floor turned out . . . but the long cure time resulted in damage to his car. (He couldn't garage it while the floor was curing, so it was parked outside on his driveway when it got hit by a hailstorm . . . his Lexus acquired a "golf ball" texture.  =(  )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 11:04:59 AM »
I chose a color and the paint store added pigment at no cost. I thought about white to give it that aircraft hangar look, but ended up going with light gray.

Oh, forgot that part.  For the love of the Gods, do not paint it white if you want to stay sane.

I can take a photo of a neighboring hangar, with very impressive white epoxy.   It looks absolutely beautiful with jets and whatnot parked.  But gods is it maintenance intensive if you want to keep it looking impressive.  They have a guy that more or less cleans it every single day with a mini Zamboni looking thing.  If you don't, it doesn't look very impressive in short order.

Light grey and safety yellow is what we use, and it's a lot less work to keep it looking pretty. 

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 11:09:54 AM »
I was thinking maybe Texas A&M maroon, in honor of my wife's alma mater.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 11:34:28 AM »
I was thinking maybe Texas A&M maroon, in honor of my wife's alma mater.

An Aggie Maroon floor could go a long way toward hiding blood stains. 

Whether this is an upside or a downside is up to you.   ;)
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 11:47:22 AM »
An Aggie Maroon floor could go a long way toward hiding blood stains. 

Whether this is an upside or a downside is up to you.   ;)

How do you think the floor got into disrepair?  Even such thick-skinned guy as myself can only handle so many Aztec altar jokes made in reference to my garage floor.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 02:54:16 PM »
How do you think the floor got into disrepair?  Even such thick-skinned guy as myself can only handle so many Aztec altar jokes made in reference to my garage floor.

Ah.  Yea, that happens.

Got the info.  Our vendors use a variety or make their own epoxy primer/base (15 mils).  Topped with 15 mils of urethane for chemical resistance.  Specifically, DuPont Imron 2-part urethane, more typically used on aircraft and high end boats.  Makes an absolutely beautiful and extremely durable finish that can stand up to heavy use, chemicals, etc.   Goes for roughly $100-150 per gallon, so it's moderately priced.  Relatively speaking...

Uh.  You kinda want to be a bit careful with the Imron.  Apparently if improperly ventilated and whatnot, explosion is possible.  It's not likely, but possible.