Author Topic: Cleaning & Painting Concrete Garage Floor  (Read 13670 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Cleaning & Painting Concrete Garage Floor
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 03:32:02 PM »
Recently talked to a guy who did it.  His neighbor had done it, too.  Neighbor did a bad job, and he learned from his mistakes.
Clean the hell out of the floor.  You should be able to eat off it.
Stay off the paint for the recomended time frame and maybe an extra day or two.

Just remember nothing cleans concrete like detcord, well maybe napalm.

Yeah, but dedcord doesn't stick to kids.

It does if you wrap them in it.........
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 03:53:07 PM »
Ah.  Yea, that happens.

Got the info.  Our vendors use a variety or make their own epoxy primer/base (15 mils).  Topped with 15 mils of urethane for chemical resistance.  Specifically, DuPont Imron 2-part urethane, more typically used on aircraft and high end boats.  Makes an absolutely beautiful and extremely durable finish that can stand up to heavy use, chemicals, etc.   Goes for roughly $100-150 per gallon, so it's moderately priced.  Relatively speaking...

Uh.  You kinda want to be a bit careful with the Imron.  Apparently if improperly ventilated and whatnot, explosion is possible.  It's not likely, but possible. 

Dupont now makes a primer especially for the Imron, that includes concrete as a recommended .  It is now a soup-to-nuts product.  Schweet.  :cool:
http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/visitor/b/dic/s/communication/imron_IS_vis.html

This is in line with my general philosophy, "If you over-engineer the heck out of it, it just might last as long as you expect."

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2010, 08:18:42 PM »

Uh.  You kinda want to be a bit careful with the Imron.  Apparently if improperly ventilated and whatnot, explosion is possible.  It's not likely, but possible. 
]

And if you're RevDisk, that's a *selling point*....  :P

Seriously, who doesn't want to paint their garage floor a lovely shade of KABOOM?
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 11:40:42 PM »
If you decide to use Imron (or any urethane-based coating) be sure to wear a respirator when working. Not just a dust mask or filter, a full-fledged respirator, or a mask with filters specifically for urethane coatings. The effects on the human nervous system are not amusing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2010, 11:57:59 PM »
If you decide to use Imron (or any urethane-based coating) be sure to wear a respirator when working. Not just a dust mask or filter, a full-fledged respirator, or a mask with filters specifically for urethane coatings. The effects on the human nervous system are not amusing.

I am Joe Paranoid when it comes to solvents.  I will heed your advice.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2010, 11:59:22 PM »
What size garage are you doing?  1 car 2 car etc?  Or if you know the square footage how much are you looking at.
Do you own or rent?  
Reason I'm asking?
You could forgo all the headaches and hassles of cleaning and possible repair to the concrete and just go with a tile system.
Something like Racedeck  or Swisstrax or similar

They may be more expensive, but you can take them with you, you don't have to clean the floor and it can cover spawling concrete.
And they look super slick

You can even do solid colors

Once again yes this route is more expensive, keep in mind you can do it in phases too.
Oh and did I mention you don't have the mess of cleaning the concrete.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2010, 01:03:22 AM »
And if you're RevDisk, that's a *selling point*....  :P

Seriously, who doesn't want to paint their garage floor a lovely shade of KABOOM?

You mean it's not with everyone?  Folks need to live a bit.  If there's no risk of explosion in your daily life, you are not using enough detcord.

Very very very good advice.  With working with Imron or anything similar, you really want to read all of the safety precautions and follow them religiously.  It's really not that bad, just attention to detail and not cutting corners.

You could forgo all the headaches and hassles of cleaning and possible repair to the concrete and just go with a tile system.
Something like Racedeck  or Swisstrax or similar

They may be more expensive, but you can take them with you, you don't have to clean the floor and it can cover spawling concrete.
And they look super slick

Once again yes this route is more expensive, keep in mind you can do it in phases too.
Oh and did I mention you don't have the mess of cleaning the concrete.

Wonder how easy they are to clean..?   They look very pretty and rather nifty.  I'm just trying to imagine them with motor oil, solvents, or anything else dropped on them regularly, though. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2010, 07:25:04 PM »

I might be walking evidence if I really desired a nerve biopsy in order to confirm it. "Airman, you don't need a respirator, you're not the one painting the B-52 you're working on!"
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2010, 07:45:36 PM »
Wonder how easy they are to clean..?   They look very pretty and rather nifty.  I'm just trying to imagine them with motor oil, solvents, or anything else dropped on them regularly, though. 

I believe they're actually grids with lots of openings to the concrete slab below.
I promise not to duck.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2010, 07:18:20 PM »
From my understanding they are quite easy to clean up.. they are designed to trap and keep fluids ontop where they can be cleaned up.  As with any spill I would still use kitty litter to absorb.. sweep that up and then apply something like simple green and hose it down.  Seems clean up would be about the same as paint.  However the grooves in the tiles would prevent the spill from traveling too far and still provide traction. 
I've never seen one of those systems that allows the liquid to drain to the concrete below. 
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76