Author Topic: Windows 7 Tips  (Read 2291 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Windows 7 Tips
« on: June 16, 2010, 10:32:50 AM »
Got this in the email this morning. Some of them are simple, but I always find myself learning about simple stuff I didn't know Win7 could do via articles like this. Today I learned I don't need a 2nd clock app to run so I can look at Zulu time. The Win7 clock lets you do multiple clocks in the notification area.

http://www.infoworld.com/d/windows/20-windows-7-quick-tips-and-tricks-it-admins-270?page=0,0&source=IFWNLE_nlt_daily_2010-06-16
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Windows 7 Tips
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 10:50:37 AM »
There's some pretty neat stuff "hidden" in W7.

For more, try Lifehacker.com
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 03:00:36 PM »
That was my idea. tm  ;) =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 03:45:22 PM »
That was my idea. tm  ;) =D
my idea was releasing a buggy, unstable, insecure OS and getting suckers to buy the slightly improved version every 2 to 3 years. >:D

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 05:41:38 PM »
my idea was releasing a buggy, unstable, insecure OS and getting suckers to buy the slightly improved version every 2 to 3 years. >:D

So you're on a Mac then?
 =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 12:23:38 AM »
My personal favorite is the so called "god mode"
Create a folder and name it this   "godmode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}"
use everything IN the quotes but without the quotation marks. 
And you don't have to call it godmode.. you can type anything you like there

I also discovered that there are other strings you can enter.. this article explains..
cnet
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 05:59:25 AM »
Infidel, that is pretty slick. 

Chris

taurusowner

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 03:16:39 PM »
My personal favorite is the so called "god mode"
Create a folder and name it this   "godmode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}"
use everything IN the quotes but without the quotation marks. 
And you don't have to call it godmode.. you can type anything you like there

I also discovered that there are other strings you can enter.. this article explains..
cnet

And....what does that do?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 03:29:04 PM »
And....what does that do?

Access administrative functions without having to go to a dozen different spots.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 07:19:58 PM »
What Firethorn said.

It places all the obscure settings in one nice list instead of scattered through out silly pretty icons via the control panel.
I found several settings that I like to have access to that I would never have found just tinkering with the CP
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 09:08:52 PM »
 :O No kidding.

Thanks to that little "tweak" I can now easily (that is, with a clear conscience) delete a mighty amount of crapware from my computer.  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 09:27:37 PM »
Out of curiosity, what's the "sweet spot" for RAM with Windoze 7? My XP machine has 2 GB, which supposedly would still be satisfactory for Vista if I don't do a lot of multi-tasking (which I don't). Is 2 GB adequate for Win7 or would I need to bump it to 4 (or more) if I upgrade to Win7?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 09:57:54 PM »
:O No kidding.

Thanks to that little "tweak" I can now easily (that is, with a clear conscience) delete a mighty amount of crapware from my computer.  =)

Really?  :O Like what?

Out of curiosity, what's the "sweet spot" for RAM with Windoze 7? My XP machine has 2 GB, which supposedly would still be satisfactory for Vista if I don't do a lot of multi-tasking (which I don't). Is 2 GB adequate for Win7 or would I need to bump it to 4 (or more) if I upgrade to Win7?

I would say 2 is adequate, but not all that great.  Just from my limited experience, of course. Mine seems to run a little better with 3 and 1/2 than it did with 2. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

sanglant

• friend
dummy rambling again.
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 11:35:48 PM »
i always say. "if your buying a MB get the newest ram type you can, and buy at least double what you think you need." hopefully you'll be able to move it to the next MB/proc by getting a MB that uses the older type of ram.(and no, i haven't managed that trick yet. :facepalm:[but telling myself that helps me sleep.]) at least i know you can get AM3 boards that take DDR2 right now. something like this, but for me the 4GB(~3.5 usable) is the minimum for me. but then. i'm bad to have firefox, thunderbird, openoffice, bibble, psp, faststone, and 2 or 3 file browsers. open at one time. :angel: i really should go to 64bit.

oh and the little fan thing corsair sells is garbage. the bottom thing in this pic. it fit's but not well, and it's a dust magnet. and now there making a bigger one. :O point i was trying to get to in that is, try to get memory that runs at or close to stock voltage, having to set it higher seems to add some small glitches on my computer.

oh, and has anybody seen win7 ultimate oem 64bit for less than ~180?(175 at newegg and amazon right now)