Author Topic: North Korean Soccer Fans Are Actually Chinese "Volunteers"  (Read 946 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
North Korean Soccer Fans Are Actually Chinese "Volunteers"
« on: June 16, 2010, 11:44:29 AM »
I could not have made this up if I tried.

http://deadspin.com/5564578/north-korean-soccer-fans-are-actually-chinese-volunteers

North Korea's World Cup debut elicited touching  stories  about the ragtag group of soccer fans "hand-picked" by the Communist regime to support their squad in South Africa. Turns out they were hand-picked for their skill at not being Korean.

The UK's Telegraph reported last month that China had already recruited actors and provided them with tickets to South Africa, so they could go and pretend to root for their sort-of allies. No North Korea citizen could possibly get a visa to leave the country and even if they could, they could never afford the bus trip to Pretoria.
Even so, the fans and some media outlets went along with the ruse that they were loyal Koreans, even as Chinese officials admitted the truth to Reuters.

The 100 or so fans decked out in red, white, and blue sure looked like they belonged to the Hermit Kingdom when they got off the plane this morning waving DPRK flags . They made ridiculous boasts about expecting to be up 2-nil on the Brazilians at halftime and expressed love and support (through translators, of course) for their South Korea brothers. They told reporters they were hand-picked by Kim Jong-Il's government to attend the festivities and they even made the team's star player cry during the national anthem. But perhaps he was crying because he knew, like everything else about his country, it was a total sham.

Sure, North Korea could have actually selected an elite group of propaganda-loving supporters to represent their country as spectators, but the last time they did that, the group of mini-skirted cheerleaders who attended a tournament in South Korea broke their promise not to reveal to their countrymen what they saw below the DMZ. They reportedly ended up in concentration camps.

The only real North Korean fans you'll find are the escaped dissidents who still love their homeland—but they won't be cheering too loudly, lest the Dear Leader's goons track them down and haul them back for execution. Hey, but at least the crazy antics of Earth's wackiest dictator provided us with the best sports stadium sign we've seen in a while.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
Re: North Korean Soccer Fans Are Actually Chinese "Volunteers"
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 12:07:52 PM »
I'm confident the NK players' loyalty is assured by the certain doom of their families being held hostage back in Pyongyang should any of them defect . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

DonTron

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 01:43:22 PM »
And here's a photo of some of the "North Korean" fans:

http://web.orange.co.uk/gallery/704

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 02:51:14 PM »
^^^^^  That's farking Hi-larious !!!!
 :lol: :laugh: :lol: :laugh: :lol: :laugh:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.