Author Topic: Home gym  (Read 4633 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Home gym
« on: June 24, 2010, 11:50:46 PM »
The wife and I want to start working out. Not heavy, just for better health and some toning up. I've been looking at the Bowflex machines. Because we do not want to go the health club route.

Any members have experience with bowflex or other machines?  Don't want to waste $$
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

CypherNinja

• friend
Re: Home gym
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 01:16:47 AM »
My brother bought a BowFlex before he went off to college. DON'T waste your money. It's alright (still sitting in his room), but the cost/benefit ratio is way off.

You will be MUCH MUCH better served by a DECENT set of exercise videos (none of the "booty boot camp" or "salsa yourself slim" BS :lol: ) and a bunch of Walmart/garage-sale dumbbells.

Because I'm familiar with them, I'd recommend (don't laugh) the Power 90 or P90X videos. There's tons of other good (read: not-a-scam) stuff out there, just pick one that has good reviews online and looks like you could tolerate doing it. Just don't fall for the "It's easy!!!" and "Just a few minutes a day/week!!!" videos. Anything that says that probably isn't worth getting.

I've been working at getting in better shape the last few months and the rule of thumb I used was to look for a routine that seemed at least as hard as a typically high school insert sport here practice, and just as often. That may not be what you need/want but it's worked well for me.

Just don't get the BowFlex.  :laugh:

EDIT: Rereading your post I see you did specify "not heavy" so my recommendation of P90X and my "HS sport" standard are definitely overkill. All the other stuff still applies, though. Power 90 may still be too much, but don't be afraid to consider it. Just don't fall for any "special equipment" sales pitches. The basics (dumbbells, pull up bar, mat, etc) are all you need and fit into the same space as a Bowflex, anyway.

Getting the equipment is fine and easy, it's sticking to a routine that's the problem. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience.  =D

At least with videos you've got something you can just pop in and DO. That way a lot of stuff is already figured out for you, like what exercises you should be doing. ;) Most people seem to go to the gym and not do much. Videos at least give you something ready-made to follow.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 04:11:42 AM by CypherNinja »
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 01:55:14 AM »
Thanks. Much appreciated advice and I will check it out.

When I say "heavy". I mean we don't want to go bodybuilding. Just get fit and tone up   
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 02:03:08 AM »
Everyone I know who has done the P90X stuff and actually stuck with it (about 6-10) got actual results.  The key is to eat better (healthier) in addition to toning.  That Said,TM P90X is primarily for people who have already followed a proper workout and diet.  It's not for beginners--the people I know who didn't stick with it were novices, and found it too difficult.

A morning or early evening jog will do wonders.  I'd suggest starting there and then, if you can stick with that, go on to something more specific.  Regarding exercise videos, they can actually be found on YouTube if you take the time and browse around.  Simple dumbbells, soft mat, pull-up bar, and water seem to be what the most realistic videos utilize and suggest.

And chalk me up as another who can't "stick with it."  =(  My best run of losing weight was working as an aircraft refueler, outside in 110o weather, running 50yd sprints to helicopter pads to marshal them in, lugging 45lb fuel hoses and 75lb tow bars, and drinking about a gallon of water every two hours.  Didn't know my starting weight and ending weight, but after four months of 43hrs a week, my clothes were noticeably looser and people were complimenting.  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 02:17:23 AM »
My best run of losing weight was working as an aircraft refueler, outside in 110o weather, running 50yd sprints to helicopter pads to marshal them in, lugging 45lb fuel hoses and 75lb tow bars, and drinking about a gallon of water every two hours.  Didn't know my starting weight and ending weight, but after four months of 43hrs a week, my clothes were noticeably looser and people were complimenting.  smiley

I've also got a physical job and I'm loosing some weight. Being on your feet 8 hours a day, constantly moving, unloading trucks, pulling heavy pallets, and lifting weight will do that for you.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 02:33:38 AM »
I'm a big fan of body weight exercises. No fuss, no muss, no fancy equipment.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 04:11:04 AM »
Everyone I know who has done the P90X stuff and actually stuck with it (about 6-10) got actual results.  The key is to eat better (healthier) in addition to toning.  That Said,TM P90X is primarily for people who have already followed a proper workout and diet.  It's not for beginners--the people I know who didn't stick with it were novices, and found it too difficult.

That's what happened to me for the most part. After due diligence (:lol:) I ordered P90X, realized I'd bitten off more than I could chew (and that I'd fallen FAR more outta shape than I'd thought), and stepped down to the Power 90 program. That's what I'm working on now, though I'm still grappling with "sticking with it", laziness and work related travel are both involved  :laugh:. My diet still sucks, so I'm not losing tons of weight yet, but I'm already FAR better off than I was.

Not back in wrestling shape for summer, but by November (maybe December  ;)) or so I'll hopefully be back at my 18ish shape (26 now). :cool:
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

castle key

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 06:48:37 AM »
A friend received orders from his wife to go out and purchase some workout machine. He followed orders. He arrived home with a big box, unloaded it, set it up, and found his wife NOT AMUSED.

He purchased a coat rack!
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 08:43:40 AM »
Ditto.  One can do a huge range of exercise using just body weight.  Add two or three pairs of dumbells and you have a complete home gym.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 08:58:36 AM »
Cycling several times a week and going to an indoor climbing gym once a week has really fired up my metabolism. Combined with cutting out the fast food junk and using my set of dumbbells once a week, the results have been phenomenal.

We have a few rather extensive bike trails that are paved here in the Chicago burbs, they run through primarily forest preserve land. Me and the lady have had a lot of fun riding these trails this spring. We'll average over 15mph and do 20-30 mile rides. We also both climb, so I always have a climbing partner. Getting in better shape hasn't been much of a chore, it has been a blast actually.

Maybe instead of just "working out" you can also find some mutual activities that will help keep the two of you focused on staying in shape, without becoming a drudgery.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 09:01:45 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 09:03:08 AM »

And no accommodating resistance :P

Well, if you're clever and change exercises subtly to change their difficulty then you do. After a point though, push-ups become a purely endurance feat, which is cool but isn't making you any stronger.

Actually, dip station and chin-up bar plus chain belt to add more weight covers a lot of the upper body. Then you just have the legs, and pretty quickly bodyweight isn't going to get you very far.

Second Ron's suggestion, I actually enjoying moving weight so it's not a chore for me. Is for a lot of people. If I ever get really bored with it then I'm taking up climbing.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 11:01:19 AM »
He said his goal was general fitness not body building, which is accomplished pretty well with body weight. Lots of advanced exercises that utilize body weight in moar difficult ways.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
Maybe instead of just "working out" you can also find some mutual activities that will help keep the two of you focused on staying in shape, without becoming a drudgery.

This.

If you don't enjoy exercising, you won't stick with it.

Pick up a couples game.  Racquetball.  Tennis.  Join a softball or volleyball league (one that actually practices regularly... not the beer social hour at the ballpark).  Start biking together.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 12:04:45 PM »
I spent a year in physical therapy for my back. I haven't lost a lot of weight (the divorce-stress diet did help with that) but I've gained a lot of core strength and flexibility doing stretches and exercises with a gymnastics ball. Simple, and surprisingly versatile for $20 to $30.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 12:11:16 PM »
Bowflexs are hard to hang laundry upon, I would get a universal gym or a nice treadmill

they hold much more laundry.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Iain

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 12:29:43 PM »
He said his goal was general fitness not body building, which is accomplished pretty well with body weight. Lots of advanced exercises that utilize body weight in moar difficult ways.

I'm not suggesting bodybuilding, the issue of accommodating resistance is an important one. There are some pretty trick bodyweight exercises out there, I do a few like front levers (well, single leg extended front levers) and muscle-ups. My personal thoughts are that everyone should be doing some form of weight bearing exercise, and looking to develop their strength.

Personally, I'd probably be fairly happy with a basic strength and conditioning set up of one barbell with plenty of weight. Some height adjustable boxes to squat/rack pull off, somewhere to pull-up and do dips. A sand bag and a sledgehammer and tire for conditioning. You'd get a hell of a long way with just the last two, and the bonus is that if you give up after a week then you're not out much and you have a shiny new sledgehammer to loan to your neighbours.

That or try a gym if you have one nearby. They aren't nearly as scary as some seem to think, and if you can join on a monthly basis then you're not out much should you decide to quit.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 12:30:21 PM »
After a point though, push-ups become a purely endurance feat, which is cool but isn't making you any stronger.

You lost me here.  ???

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 12:36:25 PM »
And no accommodating resistance :P

Well, if you're clever and change exercises subtly to change their difficulty then you do. After a point though, push-ups become a purely endurance feat, which is cool but isn't making you any stronger.

Actually, dip station and chin-up bar plus chain belt to add more weight covers a lot of the upper body. Then you just have the legs, and pretty quickly bodyweight isn't going to get you very far.

Second Ron's suggestion, I actually enjoying moving weight so it's not a chore for me. Is for a lot of people. If I ever get really bored with it then I'm taking up climbing.

As someone who's currently (very slowly) working up to my goal of unassisted ATG one legged squats, there is a LOT you can do to add leg strength with the right bodyweight routine.

My pushup routine is pretty weak, but close pushups (aka diamond or tricep pushups) and raised pushups (feet up on something) can add variance.  Getting pushup grips or doing them on hex weights can add a greater range of motion.  If you really want to add increased resistance you can start with uneven pushups (one arm propped or held way out for balance) on your way to one armed pushups.  And depending on your fitness goals, it may make more sense to go plyometric (aka clap pushups.)  The point at which pushups become "purely endurance" is so far out there for most people that it may as well not exist.

That said--I still agree with the rest of your advice.  A power tower, a decent weight bench, and a good set of weights should be enough equipment to last a lifetime.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 12:37:55 PM »
I agree that joining a gym is probably a good idea.  You can buy equipment after you have an idea of what you like and what you will stick with.  I started with a treadmill and dumb-bells in my basement.  Turns out I don't like spending time in my basement, and I killed my treadmill because I couldn't afford one that would stand up to distance running.  And barbells work better for me that dumb bells because of an unstable shoulder.  

It's nice to have access to all kinds of top-notch equipment while you are figuring out what you want to do.  You should also have access to the lower-tech stuff and space to use it, like various balls, bands, steps, etc.  I spend some time every week just standing on a bosu ball.  $60 to buy, no additional cost at the Y.  Phenomenal for building core strength and balance and preventing knee problems.  

You really just don't know how this is going to work out long-term.  Sinking a couple hundred bucks or more into a machine that will work for one approach to fitness could end being a de-motivator if you wind up feeling stuck into using that approach.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 01:00:22 PM »
Let's put it like this, if you're very weak and you struggle to do one push-up then you're recruiting a lot of motor units (assuming you actually can, but that's another issue to do with coordination and CNS function, which is why people get a lot 'stronger' very rapidly when they first begin, they're actually learning how to perform the movements not getting stronger)

At that point you are developing strength. However, as it gets easier and easier you stop recruiting lots of motor units, and you stop recruiting the ones that are most involved in developing strength, and size. Size isn't something we should be frightened of, most people need more of it in order to be stronger and also it'll help you be leaner. Nobody gets unusually big without serious effort directed at doing so.

A skinny guy who can do several hundred hindu squats is weaker than the powerlifter who thinks anything over 5 reps is cardio, but squats 400lb plus. You and I want to sit somewhere in the middle (I've done my 400lb squat, not sure I'll ever do it again) Most of the guys out there on youtube performing bodyweight strength feats (bartendaz, beastskills guy) train with weights. Beastskills guy definitely does. Gymnasts might not, but they are doing things with joint angles and levers that would break most normal people, they are a freak population, real outliers.

sanman

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 01:41:03 PM »
Bowflexs are hard to hang laundry upon, I would get a universal gym or a nice treadmill

they hold much more laundry.

Soloflex does well for clothes if you have the butterfly attachment, leg curl and bench press bar installed at the same time.

I actually liked it, may have to dust it off and get back on. The best thing it does for me is the floating bar for bench, military, etc. Left arm damaged and won't fully extend and rotate properly. Loose weights or weight machines don't do as well...like having one arm 6" shorter than the other.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 02:47:28 PM »
On the issue of the bowflex or like machine, don't waste your money.

I owned a Weider Crossbow (basically equivalent to the Bowflex, same type of machine) and I quickly stopped with it. It was clunky, took up a ton of room, and was a general PITA. Also one thing a hated about it was the take up (I'm sure there's a more technical term) on each rep. Each rep had slack to be taken up in the cables before I'd get full resistance so it just seemed odd. Even repositioning didn't help much. I much prefer the consistent weight of...well, a weight.

A much better and less expensive alternative is some free weights and a good work out program, preferably some variant of circuit training as you get good cardio worked in with the weight training. Essentially it's just a certain amount of time or reps with one exorcise, a short repositioning time, follow with the next exorcise, reposition, and so on. Typically you then take a short break and repeat two or three times. IIRC, P90X is just a variant of this but as mentioned above is a bit extreme for someone who isn't already in somewhat decent shape.

As a free option, maybe check out this-

http://www.thecelebrityworkout.com/2010/01/spartacus-workout/
http://www.menshealth.com/spartacus/downloads/MH-Spartacus-Workout.pdf

I've done this a couple times and (granted, I'm in pretty poor shape) it seemed like a good work out.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2010, 06:29:41 PM »
I have done P90X and Insanity and recommend both.  Sean T., the guy in the Insanity workouts, is a little hard to take at times but the workout will really kick your butt.  Just like with Cross Fit work outs you can scale back on Insanity and P90X and dial it in to your fitness level.  I also cycle at least 5 days a week because it is something I enjoy.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 08:23:01 PM »
If you follow the Body For Life program (exercise regime portion) you will see great results. Nutritional supplements probably aren't really necessary in your case.

The book is worth getting from the library, if you like it then buy it online from Amazon etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Life-Mental-Physical-Strength/dp/0060193395/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277511754&sr=8-1
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 08:26:22 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.