Author Topic: Supreme Court: Second Amendment rights apply across US  (Read 1420 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Supreme Court: Second Amendment rights apply across US
« on: June 28, 2010, 03:25:03 PM »
Supreme Court: Second Amendment rights apply across US

The US Supreme Court on Monday ruled that the Second Amendment's right to bear arms applies to every jurisdiction in the nation. It places in doubt the constitutionality of Chicago's handgun ban.

By Warren Richey, Staff writer / June 28, 2010
Washington

The US Supreme Court on Monday extended the constitutional protection of the Second Amendment’s right to keep and bear arms to every jurisdiction in the nation.
Skip to next paragraph
Related Stories

* If Chicago's gun control law is overturned, what next?
    * Homicide rate jumps in Chicago, Daley pushes for more gun control
    * Cities' gun restrictions begin to topple

The action places in serious doubt the constitutionality of a handgun ban in Chicago, and sets the stage for more legal challenges to an array of tough gun-control laws across the United States.

The 5-to-4 decision means that in addition to the federal government, state and local governments must comply with the high court’s 2008 landmark ruling recognizing an individual right to possess handguns in the home for self defense.

Two years ago, in a decision called District of Columbia v. Heller, the high court struck down a handgun ban in Washington, D.C., ruling that it violated the right of individuals to keep and bear arms.

Because the District of Columbia is a federal enclave – rather than part of a state – the question remained open whether the newly articulated Second Amendment right would apply beyond federal jurisdictions like Washington, D.C., to states and municipalities.

That was the issue in Monday’s case, McDonald v. City of Chicago. Chicago maintains a handgun ban similar to the ban struck down in Washington. But it wasn’t clear from prior Supreme Court precedent whether Second Amendment protections extended to cities and states.

The high court has now made clear that they do.

“We have previously held that most of the provisions of the Bill of Rights apply with full force to both the federal government and the states. Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the states,” wrote Justice Samuel Alito for the majority.
A 'fundamental' right

The majority justices said the right to keep a handgun for self-protection in the home is a “fundamental” right, deeply rooted in America’s history and tradition.

Justice Alito quoted England's Sir William Blackstone as asserting that the right to keep and bear arms was “one of the fundamental rights of Englishmen.” He said the American colonists shared that view and decided to protect it.

“The right to keep and bear arms was considered no less fundamental by those who drafted and ratified the Bill of Rights,” Alito said.

In a dissent, Justice John Paul Stevens said the majority opinion overturned more than a century of Supreme Court precedent. “Although the court’s decision in this case might be seen as a mere adjunct to its decision in Heller, the consequences could prove far more destructive – quite literally – to our nation’s communities and to our constitutional structure,” he said.

“Today’s ruling marks a dramatic change in our law,” he said. “I would proceed more cautiously.”
Chicago's handgun ban on tenuous ground

The decision sends the case back to the Seventh US Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago to reconsider the constitutionality of that city’s handgun ban. In effect, the appeals court judges must apply the same test the high court used to invalidate Washington, D.C.’s handgun ban.

Most legal analysts expect Chicago’s ban to be struck down.

The next major issue will be what legal standard lower court judges should apply when assessing whether a particular gun-control measure violates the Second Amendment.

A plurality of justices offered some guidance. “It is important to keep in mind that Heller, while striking down a law that prohibited the possession of handguns in the home, recognized that the right to keep and bear arms is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose,” Alito wrote.

This is great news!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Supreme Court: Second Amendment rights apply across US
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 04:01:53 PM »
In a dissent, Justice John Paul Stevens said the majority opinion overturned more than a century of Supreme Court precedent...

How about that Dred Scott precedent, Justice Stevens?

This is extraordinary news. It will be interesting to see how the Seventh Court deals with it.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 04:13:28 PM »
Now the real question is...will the panic buying end?  Will I be able to buy ammunition without having to mortgage my house?  Will a new magazine for my Walther P99 still cost more than dinner for my family at a decent restaurant?  let's hope so...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 08:27:08 PM »
sweeeeet!!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 09:44:58 AM »
Already being extensively discussed in Political...

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=24778.0

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 10:05:13 AM »
Already under discussion in politics.  Brad posted the link.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”