Author Topic: NRA and Sen. Harry Reid  (Read 7250 times)

grampster

• friend
NRA and Sen. Harry Reid
« on: July 02, 2010, 09:18:31 AM »
Information received this morning says thatn the NRA is leaning toward endorsing Sen. Harry Reid.

Call the NRA-ILA hotline at 1-800-392-8683, press 3, and POLITELY and FIRMLY tell our NRA to NOT support Harry Reid and perhaps nicely ask them if they have lost their minds.

I'm a Life Member of the NRA and my father was before me.  Our membership goes back to the '30's.
I'm not an NRA basher, but this situation needs to be nipped in the bud.  Please spread the message.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: NRA and Sen. Harry Reid
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 10:05:04 AM »
Done! Thanks for the heads up.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 10:43:01 AM »
Kinda depends on who he's running against.

Didn't Reid vote against the original AWB ?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 10:48:27 AM »
I've been wondering what's going on with that relationship. In I think last month's American Rifleman, they had a story on their partnership with Reid on some shooting center or something in Nevada. The article gave Reid lots of kudos.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 10:58:20 AM »
Based on what I've heard, Reid is fairly Pro-2nd.  Not that it offsets his other flaws, but given NRA's mission, it makes sense.

Chris

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 11:01:34 AM »
Reid shouldn't get NRA support if he supports and votes for judges that undermine the right. He shouldn't be allowed to have it both ways, either you support the individual right to bear arms or you don't.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

P5 Guy

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 11:19:21 AM »
The National Rifle Association is a single issue organization and yes Senator Reid has a very good rating because of his voting record on the NRA's issues. Gun rights and hunting are the focus of the NRA nothing else matters to them, so no I'm not calling them to chastise them for backing Reid.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 11:23:18 AM »
The National Rifle Association is a single issue organization and yes Senator Reid has a very good rating because of his voting record on the NRA's issues. Gun rights and hunting are the focus of the NRA nothing else matters to them, so no I'm not calling them to chastise them for backing Reid.

even though he votes for and supports judges that erode the right to bear arms...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 11:31:26 AM »
Reid's SCOTUS votes would have bad effects on Heller and McDonald.

Had Reid got his way via SCOTUS appointees, we would have lost DC and Chicago.

I called NRA-ILA and told them this.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

P5 Guy

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 11:31:43 AM »
Yes that is right Ron.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 11:44:21 AM »
The NRA is an arm of the conservative movement in America.  They just got involved in the 1A.  They have shown themselves to NOT be a single issue organization.  Our Bill of Rights and the Constitution is not a single issue.  They should not give our support to Reid as he is not worthy of that stamp of approval no matter how he acts with respect to firearms. 

Do you support a person who gives a loaf of bread to a lady with one hand and crumbles up the Bill of Rights and the Constitution with the other?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 12:17:08 PM »
THe NRA's primary focus is to support 2A. NOT to promote conservatism, fuzzy kittens, or anything else.

Conservatives, right now, happen to generally be pro-gun. It doesn't mean the conservative movement owns the NRA.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 12:50:46 PM »
He's the only pro-Second Amendment guy in Nevada?  Maybe the NRA needs to look for better alternative candidates to support.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 01:04:43 PM »
Information received this morning says thatn the NRA is leaning toward endorsing Sen. Harry Reid.

Call the NRA-ILA hotline at 1-800-392-8683, press 3, and POLITELY and FIRMLY tell our NRA to NOT support Harry Reid and perhaps nicely ask them if they have lost their minds.

I'm a Life Member of the NRA and my father was before me.  Our membership goes back to the '30's.
I'm not an NRA basher, but this situation needs to be nipped in the bud.  Please spread the message.

He's pro-2A.  Why should they not endorse him?  Backstabbing a politician who has historically been a strong politician is not a wise idea, or he might figure supporting the 2A isn't worth the effort.  I'm not saying anyone should vote for the guy.  I'm just saying, wanting the NRA to stab him in the back may not be wise.

Worse case, they can endorse both candidates or none.  Either option would be pretty safe politically.

The day the NRA declares themselves to be part of the GOP exclusively, I'm resigning my membership as they'd become worthless in doing so.  The GOP would sell them out in a heartbeat, as they have done many times in the past.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 01:04:59 PM »
Reid shouldn't get NRA support if he supports and votes for judges that undermine the right. He shouldn't be allowed to have it both ways, either you support the individual right to bear arms or you don't.

End of story.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 01:22:54 PM »
End of story.

I respect and understand your position, I am mere trying to point out the tactical situation that I think some folks are overlooking.

Kicking the majority leader of the Senate in the political wedding tackle when he's historically been very supportive may not be great idea.  Who do you think schedules the bills on the Senate floor and makes sure anti-2A bills don't reach it?

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 01:38:27 PM »
Worse case, they can endorse both candidates or none.

That works also, explaining the reason that any support of Reid is qualified due to the detrimental impact of his support of anti 2nd amendment judges. Give the devil his due but don't ignore the impact of his overall political philosophy on our freedoms. Same should go for any other congresscritters regardless of party affiliation.

I'm just tired of Reid getting a pass when it appears he is happy to let the judiciary do his dirty work.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 01:45:15 PM »
Reid may be good for 2nd Amendment issues in the short term tactical sense.  But looking at him in the long term strategic sense, he's bad news.  I'd much rather see him go without an NRA endorsement.
It may be a moot point.  I see his opponent shooting herself in the foot before the election, effectively losing the race.  She damn near did it this week.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 02:24:58 PM »
Based on what I've heard, Reid is fairly Pro-2nd.  Not that it offsets his other flaws, but given NRA's mission, it makes sense.

Chris

His so-called pro-gun votes are moot if he votes to confirm the likes of Sotomayor and Kagen who can unravel pro-gun legislation.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 03:47:47 PM »
Much as I dislike to say so, I agree with the NRA in the instance. If you have an organization the purpose of which is to promote seatbelt laws and use, it would be inappropriate to back the opponent of a candidate who supported seatbelt legislation because the opponent favors offshore drilling. If the NRA didn't support incumbents who voted the right way, the organizations clout would disappear. If, in this case, they back his opponent, then they look like nothing more than a puppet of the Republican party.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 03:59:54 PM »
It's hard for me to believe that the NRA will "endorse" Reid. Sounds like a rumor started because of the shooting park thing.

taurusowner

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 08:17:36 PM »
To me, this just demonstrates why it's so important NOT to be a single issue voter.  Our rights all exist alongside each other.  You are either for individual liberty or you are not.  Harry Reid is not.  Supporting Reid is like selling your car to buy a can of gas.  In the end, you're a lot more screwed than when you started even if a small handful of short term goals are fulfilled.  The most important thing to a fish on a hook is not how tasty the worm was.  Reid's support of the 2A is that worm.  And when all of our rights end up gutted and dead, his pro 2A stance will be no consolation. 

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 01:07:57 AM »
I started this thread a few months ago, same problem.

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=23813.0

Harry reid is running against Sharron Angle, a good conservative.

"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2010, 12:35:36 PM »
To me, this just demonstrates why it's so important NOT to be a single issue voter.  Our rights all exist alongside each other.  You are either for individual liberty or you are not.  Harry Reid is not.  Supporting Reid is like selling your car to buy a can of gas.  In the end, you're a lot more screwed than when you started even if a small handful of short term goals are fulfilled.  The most important thing to a fish on a hook is not how tasty the worm was.  Reid's support of the 2A is that worm.  And when all of our rights end up gutted and dead, his pro 2A stance will be no consolation. 
^This

There are some single issues that will more then likely make me not vote for a candidate, but there is no one single issue that will make me vote for one.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 12:47:42 PM »
I wouldn't characterize myself as a single-issue voter. My first test, though, is the Second Amendment. If the candidate doesn't pass that, I don't go any further.

After that, there's a whole slew of criteria to judge him/her by. Reid would fail nearly all of those tests.