Author Topic: NRA and Sen. Harry Reid  (Read 7252 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: NRA and Sen. Harry Reid
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2010, 02:12:53 PM »
I wouldn't characterize myself as a single-issue voter. My first test, though, is the Second Amendment.

This is generally what I do. In most instances, I find that candidates with a strong 2nd stance also are generally in line with my other beliefs and with other criteria that are important to me. Reid is certainly an example of when that is not the case.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

P5 Guy

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2010, 05:31:45 PM »
Upon further investigation into Reid and the NRA I wonder why I am sending the NRA my hard earned money?

My guess is that if the solution to gun control comes to pass the NRA will have to go back to training and marksmanship. Apparently that is not as lucrative as their current endeavors.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2010, 08:30:29 PM »
Best thing NRA could have done was to decline to support any of the candidates running for Reid's job, then put out a statement offering to "work closely" with the winner.....nice, neutral, and friendly to the winner....

...but NRA blew their opportunity....now, if they pull their support for Reid (who's likely to win anyway--thanks to money and clout and "political organizers" from the Dems and the White House), Reid screws over the NRA and gun owners six ways from Sunday.....if the NRA keeps supporting Reid, they lose membership and funds to other 2A/RKBA organizations (you know, the ones NRA is trying to squeeze out via "Campaign Finance Reform").....

Time for NRA to make some changes in the way they endorse political candidates....and make some significant changes in their own political leadership...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2010, 10:13:50 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if the NRA is playing us for fools...

(and before you ask...I haven't had a warm and fuzzy feeling about other 2A organizations...fear mongering is one of the factors that turns me off of them)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2010, 11:17:07 PM »
I'm not upset at all with the NRA.
Its R for rifle not R for Republican.
The NRA rewards pro gun politicos with an endorsement.
As A life member and a NV voter- I'm voting Sharron anyway- IDK for sure but I would think that Reid voted for Sotomayor so, the heck with it.
I don't live anywhere near Vegas and thats where Harry's cool gun range is. What has he done for norther NV shooters.
Also, he allowed that national reciprocity to be stripped from that gay rights bill.
I also met Angle and she is a well informed conservative pro life pro gun gal and she is really nice.
Harry hasn't bothered to visit rural northern NV so I am voting Angle and am still happy with the NRA.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2010, 06:59:13 AM »
I'm not upset at all with the NRA.
Its R for rifle not R for Republican.
The NRA rewards pro gun politicos with an endorsement.
As A life member and a NV voter- I'm voting Sharron anyway- IDK for sure but I would think that Reid voted for Sotomayor so, the heck with it.
I don't live anywhere near Vegas and thats where Harry's cool gun range is. What has he done for norther NV shooters.
Also, he allowed that national reciprocity to be stripped from that gay rights bill.
I also met Angle and she is a well informed conservative pro life pro gun gal and she is really nice.
Harry hasn't bothered to visit rural northern NV so I am voting Angle and am still happy with the NRA.

As another Northern Nevada resident, I pretty much agree with all of this.  I don't like Harry Reid and will not be voting for him, but I am not going to get mad at the NRA for endorsing him.  They are a single issue organization, period.  The only time they divert from that issue is when someone threatens their ability to lobby for their issue.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2010, 09:03:23 AM »

...but NRA blew their opportunity....now, if they pull their support for Reid (who's likely to win anyway--thanks to money and clout and "political organizers" from the Dems and the White House),

Uh, Seeker?

Reid is currently trailing his opponent by seven percentile points.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2010/election_2010_senate_elections/nevada/election_2010_nevada_senate
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2010, 11:54:16 AM »

Much as I like to give the NRA credit for doing the right thing, which in this case I believe is giving Reid their backing because of his pro-gun votes, the cynical side of me wonders if they might be giving him their backing knowing that it won't make a difference. And perhaps it's with a wink and a nod to the Angle campaign.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2010, 01:56:53 PM »
Uh, Seeker?

Yes, but that's down from double-digit leads that most of his potential opponents had before the GOP primary. Angle has proven herself pretty gaff-prone.  I think she may yet talk herself right out of the election.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2010, 07:43:57 PM »
Imho, pragmatism has a time and a place.  NRA should understand that now is not the time and place to stamp Reid as one of the good gun guys.  A man is known by his company and the things that he does.   Harry Reid is a corrupt money grubber who's own son doesn't use his last name in his run for office.  Maybe I'm still a bit of the idealist I was when I was younger, but my years and experience tells me that the worst of those who would be our keepers are the ones who attempt to use to use what we love against us.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw