Author Topic: Flying 101  (Read 6327 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Flying 101
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 10:24:49 AM »
On the topic of aviation gas, I have read suggestions to use this for boats, motorcycles and small engines because it does not have ethanol in it to ruin the rubber and plastic in the fuel systems.  Any thoughts on this? 

On my motorcycle boards, there are many comments about the evils of ethanol, especially in the older bikes.  As a matter of fact, my maxi-scooter manufacturer, Aprilia, had to do a recall of several years worth of scooters and motorcycles to replace some elements of the fuel system.  When the bikes were designed in Italy, they were not engineered for ethanol in the gasoline, which is a wonderful solvent for some of the plastics and rubber used.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 11:14:41 AM »
Aviation paint is roughly $150 per gallon.   =D

If I were to own a Cessna, I would go the Don Sheldon route and fly it with bare aluminum :)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 11:23:56 AM »
Yes, it's lighter than air so when you paint a plane with it the plane becomes much lighter. Saves on fuel cause it takes less energy to get off the ground, up to altitude and stay there.

Problem is you can't forget what you're doing and let go of the can because it will float away. Happens more than you think.  ;)

So it is like Flubber then?   :lol:

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 05:32:34 PM »
So it is like Flubber then?   :lol:

Not so much.  Painted airplanes don't bounce very well.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 07:30:22 PM »
Av gas (to the best of my ancient knowledge of the stuff) still contains lead which you will inhale when it comes out the exhaust pipe.

That said, I used to have this AMC Iggle with the 258 CI straight 6 and I would put 5 gal of av gas in the tank and fill it the rest of the way with premium when I was going on a long trip. The Iggle would fly...  :O

:lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 09:52:39 PM »
Because it flies?    ???

=D

Kind of like boat paint only more elite.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2010, 10:04:24 PM »
There isn't much added weight, true.  The high costs are because everything that goes on to or into an airplane has to be tested and approved by the FAA.  That, plus liability insurance, increases the price of "aviation parts" by a factor of 5.

The other cost comes from having to do the weight and balance on the flight control surfaces if the vinyl is added to those areas.  That is a little more involved than a whole-airplane W&B.

Check out an aviation supply catalog and compare prices for non certified components (for experimental use only) to identical certified components. Guess which one is much higher?

Av gas (to the best of my ancient knowledge of the stuff) still contains lead which you will inhale when it comes out the exhaust pipe.

Yes, it still contains lead.

On the topic of aviation gas, I have read suggestions to use this for boats, motorcycles and small engines because it does not have ethanol in it to ruin the rubber and plastic in the fuel systems.  Any thoughts on this?

On my motorcycle boards, there are many comments about the evils of ethanol, especially in the older bikes.  As a matter of fact, my maxi-scooter manufacturer, Aprilia, had to do a recall of several years worth of scooters and motorcycles to replace some elements of the fuel system.  When the bikes were designed in Italy, they were not engineered for ethanol in the gasoline, which is a wonderful solvent for some of the plastics and rubber used.

Yes, avgas contains no ethanol. I'm also told that the lead will kill emissions control equipment, so keep that in mind.

10% ethanol fuel was a really STUPID move. Fortunately, one of the oil companies in my town sells fuel w/o ethanol, so try your local oil distributors. 

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 11:22:35 PM »
Questions about aircraft paint, etc.

Yes, it's lighter than air so when you paint a plane with it the plane becomes much lighter. Saves on fuel cause it takes less energy to get off the ground, up to altitude and stay there.

Is that that with which they paint the Goodyear blimp? 

I always wondered what kept that thing up and why it had such a big surface area. 

(This not-ending-a-sentence-with-a-preposition stuff is BS.)

And I noticed they didn't paint the top of it.  Izzat because the paint would fly off from trying to hold it up, so they only paint it on the bottom?  Why doesn't that make it capsize?

I'm confused about all this aircrafty stuff.

And I guess the "loo" painted on the outside of the Kulula plane in the OP is there so you don't stand under it?

(Or under which you should not stand?)

Terry, 230RN

(Pic credit in properties)

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 11:53:04 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2010, 07:46:51 AM »
Yes, lead will definitely kill your catalytic converter. Also fouls the plugs real good.

And I noticed they didn't paint the top of it.  Izzat because the paint would fly off from trying to hold it up, so they only paint it on the bottom?
Exactly, the direct upward pull causes issues with the paint bubbling and flaking off.
Why doesn't that make it capsize?
Bullshit, err, I mean ballast in the bottom. ;)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2010, 08:20:38 AM »
Yes, lead will definitely kill your catalytic converter.
And kill animals that can be turned into a tasty meal.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2010, 08:25:33 AM »
Freshman year at university, I labeled my dorm room in a similar fashion with colored chalk.
The roommates were not nearly amused as you all.
7-11 was a part time job.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2010, 08:29:47 AM »
Ahh, thanks, 280plus!  So that gonadala thing hanging off the bottom is the ballast?  And now I noticed they didn't paint that, either.

Of course, so the big heavy unpainted gonadala keeps it from capsizing.  I should have known.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:50:26 AM by 230RN »

280plus

• friend
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2010, 01:38:49 PM »
yup, that thing is just a big ol' hunk of lead.  If tyhey run out of avgas they just stop at any old filling station and then scrape some lead off of the gondola and put it in the tank. Then they go out and kill tasty animals from like 10,000 ft.  ;)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2010, 04:13:42 PM »
yup, that thing is just a big ol' hunk of lead.  If tyhey run out of avgas they just stop at any old filling station and then scrape some lead off of the gondola and put it in the tank. Then they go out and kill tasty animals from like 10,000 ft.  ;)

....and don't forget the illegal aliens and hurricanes....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2010, 06:18:17 PM »
Hurricane flying in a blimp. There's an E ticket ride for you.  :lol:

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2010, 03:57:40 AM »
Aviation paint is roughly $150 per gallon.   =D

I take that's for Dark Green ?  How much is the super secret Black ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2010, 12:33:55 PM »
^ "How much is the super secret Black ?? "

Do you mean that non-radar reflecting stuff they put on stealth aircraft?

OK, here we go with another 230RN bizarre idea...

You know those microwavebale burritos and pot pies which are supposed to get nice and crispy in the microwave oven?  You ever notice that the paper trays and wrappers they come in are covered with this grey material?

I guess they way they work is that grey stuff absorbs the u-waves (micro-waves) and get real hot, so they crisp up the crust.

OK.  That means they absorb u-waves and convert them to heat, right?

I've often wondered if you could buy that material, which looks like it is painted on, and paint your car with it so it would absorb the police radar and hence be invisible to their radar guns... Hah? Hah?  You think?

In moments of unrestricted contemplation (read: "in one of 230RN's whacko moments"), I've thought of collecting a bunch of chicken-pot pie plates and burrito wrappers and taping them to my car.  Then I'd zoom by one of those annoying roadside radar signs which flash at you to slow down if you're going 1.0001 miles per hour over the posted limit to see how it reacts.

Of course, u-wave ovens run at 2450 megaHertz, and the radar speed detectors and guns are much above that, but I figure if that grey stuff absorbs 2450MHz, it might even absorb speed detector radar frequencies...

Of course, you'd have to wear some chicken pot pie plates on your head to avoid radar reflecting off you through the windshield, but...

I told you it was another one of 230RN's bizarre ideas...

TeraHertz Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 12:56:48 PM by 230RN »

280plus

• friend
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2010, 01:24:21 PM »
Ok, everybody save they're microwave crisper thingies and send them to terry.