Author Topic: Interesting New Router Hack  (Read 1654 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Interesting New Router Hack
« on: July 21, 2010, 11:10:23 AM »
Or at least it sounds like it will be when it's debuted at Blackhat next week. Apparently includes the Linksys WRT54G.

-------------------
http://www.engadget.com/

Cisco and company, you've got approximately seven days before a security researcher rains down exploits on your web-based home router parade. Seismic's Craig Heffner claims he's got a tool that can hack "millions" of gateways using a new spin on the age-old DNS rebinding vulnerability, and plans to release it into the wild at the Black Hat 2010 conference next week. He's already tested his hack on thirty different models, of which more than half were vulnerable, including two versions of the ubiquitous Linksys WRT54G (pictured above) and devices running certain DD-WRT and OpenWRT Linux-based firmware. To combat the hack, the usual precautions apply -- for the love of Mitnick, change your default password! -- but Heffner believes the only real fix will come by prodding manufacturers into action. See a list of easily compromised routers at the more coverage link.

Routers Tested (Google Docs)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Interesting New Router Hack
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 12:53:56 PM »
/ \
 |

Thanks! :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 01:37:37 PM »
Ooooh, a room full of hackers!  Maybe I have time to learn how to hack the roof supports so that all those *%&^#$* hackers will be squished like the worthless bugs they are.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 02:55:03 PM »
Ooooh, a room full of hackers!  Maybe I have time to learn how to hack the roof supports so that all those *%&^#$* hackers will be squished like the worthless bugs they are.

Indeed.  I normally take insinuations that someone would like to murder me quite badly.  Death threats make me all kinds of giddy.

I happen to be a regular Defcon and Blackhat attendee.  So are a very large percentage of my friends.   These would be security experts in major corporations, fed/state LE's, research facilities, etc as well as freelance folks.

You are welcome to try, friend.  Hackers wouldn't have to lift a finger, myself included.  The feds would come down on you like a ton of bricks after you killed dozens of their folks. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 02:59:42 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 02:59:29 PM »
Ooooh, a room full of hackers!  Maybe I have time to learn how to hack the roof supports so that all those *%&^#$* hackers will be squished like the worthless bugs they are.

Think before you speak.  ;/

There are plenty of hackers who wear white hats, and yet attend Black Hat and DefCon.

You might as well say "Anyone who hangs out with criminals is a worthless bug, so we should kill all cops and prison guards, because they spend an awfully-suspicious amount of time around criminals."

Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 03:02:04 PM »
Enough posturing on both sides.

Chris