Author Topic: Currency exchange tax...  (Read 3378 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Currency exchange tax...
« on: July 21, 2010, 04:00:17 PM »
... teh stoopid... it lives. =|

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/economy-a-budget/109869-currency-tax-a-way-to-invest-in-our-future-rep-stark

Each day, $4 trillion dollars of currency are traded. For international businesses and travelers, trading dollars for other currencies serve a legitimate purpose. However, nearly 80 percent of these transactions are undertaken by a handful of major banks. Experts agree that most of these transactions are made for purely speculative purposes.

Wealthy traders and big financial institutions make huge bets on the fluctuations in currency value, and they can make massive profits if their bets are correct. This type of speculation helped to worsen the recent financial crisis and serves no purpose other than to make a few people and institutions even richer.

Today, I introduced H.R. 5783, the Investing in Our Future Act. My legislation would simply impose a small tax — of 0.005 percent — on these currency transactions. The money raised would be put toward investments in children, global health and climate change mitigation.

For the average person or business, this small tax will hardly be noticed. But, due to the extreme speculation that takes place, it would raise significant funds. Studies estimate a worldwide 0.005 percent tax on dollar transactions would raise $28 billion a year and reduce currency speculation by 14 percent.

Here at home, the funds from this fee would be used to improve the quality and affordability of child care. This funding would provide more child care options, so working families can obtain the quality care their children need to begin school ready to learn.

Internationally, the bill would create a U.S. fund to assist developing countries with the impacts of global warming. At the United Nations Climate Change Conference in December, President Obama pledged to fund our country's commitment to mitigating the effects of climate change. This bill would make that promise real.

Finally, the legislation would create a Global Health Trust Fund to fight HIV/AIDS, Malaria, Tuberculosis and other diseases that kill millions of people each year in developing nations. This money will fund treatments and prevention for these diseases, as well as research aimed at eradicating them altogether.

For too long, the needs of the financial industry have trumped initiatives that will help lift people out of poverty and give children a healthy start. The Investing in Our Future Act will aid in getting our priorities back in order, and reduce financial speculation by Wall Street.

You can help — please call your Member of Congress and tell them to sign on as a co-sponsor of H.R. 5783. Find your member at http://house.gov

Yay.  For the children, and the globular warming change, and 3rd world welfare and bribes health.

The real result?

The dollar is the root basis of most currency speculation transactions.

While I inherently believe that an absolute currency standard (gold or other tangible good) is the best way to increase stability of the US Dollar... this legislation will send the dollar into a tailspin.

If it is legitimate to tax the dollar each time you perform a currency exchange... the dollar will no longer remain the standard against whatever exchanges may happen.  Or the pivot currency to which to return.

Also, this 0.005% tax will not remain 0.005%.  It is small and innocuous to get us to accept that the Government has any legitimacy to tax currency exchanges in the first place.  In 10 years it will be 0.5%.  In 50 years, it will be on par with a sales tax.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
Re: Currency exchange tax...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 05:08:30 PM »
There's a war against risk and prosperity, not to mention a deliberate misunderstanding of the purpose of "speculation."

They want to lock us into a failing dollar.  I notice they buried some strictures on gold buying and selling in the ObamaCare bill.  How long before we are barred outright from owning gold?  They know too many people are on to the game.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 05:38:17 PM »
How long before we are barred outright from owning gold?

What, it's not like there's precedent for that or anything. Oh, wait.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 05:45:22 PM »
What, it's not like there's precedent for that or anything. Oh, wait.

I think it was Mark Levin I heard on the radio the other day saying they could never come for it because too many people own it.  Um, wanna bet?  I'd put nothing past this government anymore.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 07:16:08 PM »
They want to lock us into a failing dollar.

Yep. It's completely to be expected.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 08:21:01 PM »
I'm still waiting for the tax tax. 1-2% tax for paying taxes. Of course there will be additional taxes on the taxes for paying taxes. 
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 08:44:33 PM »
I'm still waiting for the tax tax. 1-2% tax for paying taxes. Of course there will be additional taxes on the taxes for paying taxes. 

Heh. I actually wouldn't be surprised by a "filing fee" if you choose to mail in a paper 1040, just don't give em ideas, okay?

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 07:32:46 AM »
Didn't they confiscate gold during the FDR years?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 09:07:20 AM »
Didn't they confiscate gold during the FDR years?
In those days people trusted fed.gov more than they do today . . . and people who quietly ignored the bad did quite well. Given the lessons of history, I would expect only a fraction - a small fraction - of today's gold owners to comply with a gold ban.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 11:14:08 AM »
I think the underlying issue isn't bans on gold, guns, God, whatever, it's obedience to Authority when Authority becomes the enemy.  We are entering an era where Non-Compliance will be the real gold.

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 01:51:11 AM »
People don't have to comply with the gold bans for the effect to work. When gold is banned, nobody wants to trade with gold openly, so the market demand for gold evaporates, even if nobody actually turns in their gold physically.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine