Author Topic: West Point Grad Erik Scott shot in what appears to be police snafu ( Vegas )  (Read 27245 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
West Point grads are not known for trying to shoot it out with the police, I'm pretty curious.

As a former inmate at that fine federal prison on the Hudson   :laugh:  , I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that some members of the Long Grey Line are crazy enough to give something like that a try...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ned Hamford

• friend
As a former inmate at that fine federal prison on the Hudson   :laugh:  , I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that some members of the Long Grey Line are crazy enough to give something like that a try...

Was something like 15 years ago, but the fellow ranked 2nd in the class got himself drowned when he tried to go paragliding off a local bridge.  My father also tells the tale of the WP Lt who when a grenade was thrown into camp and didn't go off assured everyone 'it was just a du....' after having picked it up and started to shake it next to his ear.  A few of the best and brightest were caught a couple of years back having taken things from long term storage for cadets and selling them on Ebay.  While I still respect the institution, a close look has cost it a lot of its luster in my eyes.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Something is starting to stink.  Costco now says that the video is damaged and cannot be viewed.  I cannot find a like to verify, but was told by a friend who I trust that lives in the area, that this was reported in the news, locally. 
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Something is starting to stink.  Costco now says that the video is damaged and cannot be viewed.  I cannot find a like to verify, but was told by a friend who I trust that lives in the area, that this was reported in the news, locally. 

Ick.

Well if you do manage to find a link, perhaps on the website of those local news stations, do post it please.

BridgeRunner

• friend
It's pretty common for store security systems to re-use old VHS tapes long after they have deteriorated beyond any possibility of a decent picture or any functionality at all.   I worked in a computer store two years.  We reviewed the tapes about a half dozen times, for thefts and forgeries, and at least half of those times, the tape was unreadable.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
Police Have Not Viewed Costco Surveillance Tapes

From News 8. I'll get a link up as soon as I find one that you do not have to suscribe to. This came from:

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?p=515891

YET MOAR COPYWRITED MATERIAL REMOVED
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 08:16:16 PM by JamisJockey »
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
It's pretty common for store security systems to re-use old VHS tapes long after they have deteriorated beyond any possibility of a decent picture or any functionality at all.   I worked in a computer store two years.  We reviewed the tapes about a half dozen times, for thefts and forgeries, and at least half of those times, the tape was unreadable.

How convenient for them.

Abraham Lincoln

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: West Point Grad Erik Scott shot in what appears to be police snafu ( Vegas )
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2010, 06:58:07 AM »
inquest is very interesting    not gonna make battle monkey happy

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/13201704/doctor-connected-to-erik-scott-denies-treating-him

this site has links to lots of srories and video from the inquest
check out his dads blog  i haven't yet found out what wife 2 said that got daddy so riled or about the "colorado case"

the doctors reports are very interesting as is the toxicology and the pharmacists analysis of how the 32 substances he was doing could have affected him
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: West Point Grad Erik Scott shot in what appears to be police snafu ( Vegas )
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2010, 09:15:56 AM »
Pictures of Scott's gun in its holster lying on the ground...and the video from Costco inside and outside the store not available due to "technical difficulties".....

....pretty damning evidence for the upcoming lawsuits....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2010, 10:06:26 AM »
President Obama and John Wayne were both conspicuously absent!

The point is, a lack of evidence proves nothing.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Bud

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2010, 10:07:15 AM »
I am a retired LEO and former Chief of a small department in northern Illinois.

There has been no testimony that Scott did anything wrong, he had commited no crime.
Mosher, the cop in front of him, has had three prior officer involved shootings and trwo of those were fatal.
Scott was hit twice from the front with one of those rounds entering his armpit without impacting his arm.
Five more shots struck him from the rear, with one of those entering his left buttock, passing through his pelvis and colon and stioppping in his chest. (He was on his hands and knees when this round struck him.

LV Metro averages 17 shootings per year and over the past ten years only one was ruled unjustified and that officer was not prosecuted.(1 out of 190 inquests)

None of what was going on in Scott's life should even been admissable because the cops at the scene at the time of the shooting did not have that info.
The only thing that counts is what actually transpired and what they, the cops, saw and heard. If there is no testimony that he presented an active threat or had commited a forcible felony, the cops should be fried.
Bud

“An armed society is a polite society.

Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”- Robert A. Heinlein

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2010, 10:50:01 AM »
None of what was going on in Scott's life should even been admissable because the cops at the scene at the time of the shooting did not have that info.
The only thing that counts is what actually transpired and what they, the cops, saw and heard. If there is no testimony that he presented an active threat or had commited a forcible felony, the cops should be fried.

There you go. Dont talk about the actual truth. You'll be thought of as a cop basher.

Abraham Lincoln

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2010, 11:16:21 AM »
There you go. Dont talk about the actual truth. You'll be thought of as a cop basher.

What about the Costco employee that said:

"He reached behind him and pulled out his gun and aimed it at the officer," Kullberg said. "At that time, the officer shot him."

I haven't seen the pictures, but it seems to me that at least two distinct stories are being circulated.  I'm not really interested iin either cop or CCW bashing, but someone ain't telling the truth.

• friends
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2010, 12:15:23 PM »
i'm suspecting bud hasn't seen the video from the inquest
its quite interesting
and the coroners report and tox are fascinating as is the doctors testimony.
heck his own dads blog doesn't do him any favors

3 cops throw down on you? a fast move for gun?  bring it up not drop it?  according to multiple witnesses point it at the cop?
narcotics do not improve your decision making  and i'm not sure he wasn't committing suicide by cop
in the town where you were chief would being under the influence of narcotics and carrying have been a crime?

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2010, 12:48:55 PM »
Under the influence of narcotics, prescribed by a doctor, and carrying is not a crime. Hell I know several folks, one a retired cop, who is on pain meds (hydrocodone), and will be for the rest of his life, and <gasp> he carries concealed. But maybe thats not a good example, he is retired LE, thus a special class when it comes to carrying a weapon.

I bet a video would settle this. And I don't buy the "technical problems" bs.

Abraham Lincoln

• friends
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2010, 01:15:31 PM »
have you troubled yourself with the inquest info?

the issue of what was prescribed and by who has been raised  , and in that the one doc whose name appears says hes never seen erik and that his "actress" g/f was fired from that office, it does make a feller wonder.  also might explain how his very vocal g/f decided to decline testifying at the inquest.  having to take the fifth is awkward.

is carry while intoxicated to the point of staggering legal?  when to quote a witness who saw him in costcos recollection of mr scotts own words
"wow i' really am f'd up"

or the different witness who recounted overhearing him and his g/f discussing his level of intoxication?

might i suggest burdening yourself with the awkward relevant facts?  i feel bad for the guy  i know what its like to be strung out
i suspect that we will be finding out more about him and thus far the more we unwrap the worse it gets
actions carry consequences and in this case drug abuse and concealed carry mixed with poor decision making was fatal

• friends
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2010, 01:42:11 PM »
whats nev law on trespass? if you are asked to leave and don't instead getting a lil loud and telling em you were a green beanie would that be illegal in nev?  how about in illinois?  in virginia it would be tresspassing

• friends
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2010, 01:45:32 PM »
10:12 a.m.

"I thought I was going to get shot because of a dog bite," Novotny testified.

Novotny said that made him angry.

"When he pointed the gun at me, yes I did (get angry). But afterwards, I cooled off," Novotny said. "I was mad because he pointed a gun at me and he threatened to shoot me."

Scott apologized and said he was sorry for the incident. Novotny said he offered to pay for Scott's hospital bill from the dog bite, but Scott left.

Novotny said he wasn't fearful of confronting Scott, "because I was also carrying."

• friends
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2010, 01:57:12 PM »
one of his docs said
Dr. Shari Klein said she started treating Scott in 2008, but as the months passed she saw less and less of him because he couldn't afford her services. She said Scott told her he had used a variety of street drugs, including cocaine, ecstasy and anabolic steroids in the past. He also battled depression and told her that depression, along with substance abuse, were part of his family history.

In the summer of 2009, Scott e-mailed Klein a request for the prescription hydrocodone, a powerful narcotic painkiller that he thought would help his depression.

"I really don't want to deal with one of those scumbag drug-pushing pain doctors," he wrote, and suggested she use his chronic elbow and knee pain to justify the prescription.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2010, 02:22:23 PM »
whats nev law on trespass? if you are asked to leave and don't instead getting a lil loud and telling em you were a green beanie would that be illegal in nev?  how about in illinois?  in virginia it would be tresspassing

When I went through my ccw class, my instructor said if you are asked to leave, leave.  If they detain you, just tell the officer you were trying to leave.  That is what he should of done and how it is in the rest of the state, but then there's Vegas....   Vegas is rapidly becoming the Chicago of the American south west.  Just as Chicago traded in the mofia for the city government, Vegas is doing the same. Vegas is the sole reason I cannot use my CCW instead of a background check for buying a firearm.  The gun laws in Vegas are different than every other county in the state.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2010, 02:30:12 PM »
If the presence of painkillers from OTJ injuries, and performance-enhancing drugs (such as testosterone, other anabolic steroids, or HGH) are sufficient to bring doubt on a person's performance in a shooting, I know, personally, several who would be in deep kimchee and I bet large swaths of contemporary LEOs also would have difficulties.

IOW, lotsa cops used/use 'roids & HGH sourced from legit docs or otherwise.  And lotsa cops get injuries requiring painkilelrs.  SOme short-term, some long-term.

IIRC, some chief LEO out west pushed T and HGH on his subordinates via one of these anti-aging docs. Might have beenLv.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Bud

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2010, 02:35:17 PM »
i'm suspecting bud hasn't seen the video from the inquest
its quite interesting
and the coroners report and tox are fascinating as is the doctors testimony.
heck his own dads blog doesn't do him any favors

3 cops throw down on you? a fast move for gun?  bring it up not drop it?  according to multiple witnesses point it at the cop?
narcotics do not improve your decision making  and i'm not sure he wasn't committing suicide by cop
in the town where you were chief would being under the influence of narcotics and carrying have been a crime?

One cop was pointing at him and he couldn't see the other cops behind him.
Testimony said all three cops were shouting "Put your hands in the air", another saying "get down on your knees" and the third saying "put your gun down"

One cop, who has a very sad history (Mosher, this was his third fatal and fourth shooting) openb fire when the Scott attempted to draw his weapon and put it on the ground like the idiot behind was screaming.
It is not illegal to use drugs that you have a scrip for,(he was driving, he was walking) and he had a Nevada concealed carry permit.
Again, the cops did not know he had broken any laws, his gun was not visable when he came out of the building but the cops already had theirs out.
This was an over reaction by one cop and the other idiots behind him just followed the leader.
Bud

“An armed society is a polite society.

Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”- Robert A. Heinlein

brimic

• friends
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2010, 02:37:12 PM »
http://www.ktnv.com/global/story.asp?s=12920574

According to Ross Goodman, the attorney representing the Scott family, the radio scanner recordings are full of gaps and what they really need to see and hear is what has  not been produced so far; the surveillance tape and official 911 calls.

"The male inside the business is acting erratic. Throwing merchandise around…possibly high on an unknown 446 (narcotics).

Goodman, says these recordings fail to prove whether the officers were justified in opening fire that day.

"Until we get the video that confirms that Erik was not acting erratic in Costco and that he did not pull a weapon outside of Costco, that's all we need to put to rest this case," he added.

Surveillance video that would reveal exactly what led up to the shooting. But according metro, the tapes had a glitch and sent the hard drives to be analyzed.

"It's been three weeks. We are demanding answers to the status of the video, the condition of the video and the location of the video," said Goodman.

Wow! The Police Department found a 'glitch' in the DVR recording that amazingly happened during the shooting that makes it hard to determine what really happened. Amazing! What are the odds?

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/gunned-down-in-vegas-what-really-happened-to-erik-scott/?singlepage=true

Erik turned to find three officers facing him, guns drawn, and all three shouting different commands: “Get on the ground!” “Drop your weapon!” “Keep your hands up!” Erik held his hands up, spoke calmly, told them he DID have a concealed firearm and a legal CCW and was an ex-Army officer. His girlfriend was screaming about Erik being a West Point grad, former Army officer, etc. Erik leaned to his left, hands still up, to expose the pistol, and repeated, “I am disarming; I am disarming.” Witnesses say he started to lower his right hand, palm OUT, perhaps intending to remove holster and gun together — but never got the hand below his shoulder, when one of the cops (believed to be William Mosher, who had committed a fatal shooting in 2006) shot Erik in the chest with a .45-caliber semi-automatic weapon. Erik dropped to his knees, clearly in shock, his face a picture of disbelief. He was shot a second time and collapsed. The rest is ugly. The three officers unloaded again, firing a total of seven hollow-point rounds. At least four, possibly five, hit Erik in the back, after he was on the ground and dying.

Two experts hired by Scott’s family examined his body. They claim that of the seven .45 ACP hollowpoint bullets fired into Scott’s body, one was fired through his armpit, suggesting his arm was raised at the time. Four remaining shots were fired into his back. There were no exit wounds, making it all but impossible for police to claim that investigators misread through-and-through wounds.

I hope the police in this incident get a fair trial. I also hope that the whole truth comes out, I hope the police who murdered subdued this man are fried.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

• friends
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2010, 02:43:12 PM »
can i safely say you didn't use the links either?
the us secret service handled the bad hard drive.  and it was reported dead by costco 2 days prior to the shooting