Author Topic: Blue jeans  (Read 14760 times)

zahc

• friend
Blue jeans
« on: July 25, 2010, 03:08:32 PM »
I'm starting to get very, very fed up with blue jeans.

Last couple times I've gone shopping for jeans, I found out that it's nearly impossible to find ones that aren't purposely faded, have ironed-in wrinkles, or holes in them. Really, practically all of them have a faded pattern to the material. None of them look new. I don't know what the fashion trends are right now, but I have no interest in jeans that have been purposely manipulated for looks, period. It offends me.

My problem with jean fit, is that I have a big butt, basically, but I don't have a beer belly. So all factory-made jeans that fit my waist are far too tight in the seat. The only choice I have is to get ones that are far too large, and belt the waist up. This looks ugly as hell, and the fabric bunches up under the belt. When I was in my teens, I used to wear women's jeans, and they fit pretty well, but the waist height of women's jeans has moved far too low since then, so they are right out. I have had some success with boot-cut jeans from Old Navy, but I don't wear boots or enjoy the bell-bottom look, and now all (and I mean ALL) the Old Navy jeans are purposely broken for looks. What's more, waist heights seem to be creeping down as well, making me feel like I need to pull my pants up all the time.

So my jean problem has been getting worse and worse. In the past, I have been able to find some that fit well enough to live with. But the problem now, is that the state of the jeans market is so bad that by the time I discard 90% of the offerings, my chances of finding anything that fit are about zero. And this is a big problem, because a guy kind of needs something to wear. I am looking into either buying jeans and having them tailored, or just having custom jeans made. Or making them myself.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Stickjockey

• friend
Re: Blue jeans
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 03:18:05 PM »
If you're in the northwest, look around for a BiMart or somewhere else that sells Wranglers. Got a couple pair a few weeks ago, and these are some of the best fitting jeans I've owned. They come in good ol' dark, brand-new lookin' indigo, and they're quite inexpensive. The painter style are currently on sale at BiMart for $15.99
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 03:25:11 PM »
Walmart Faded Glory or Wranglers. Both cheap, good quality, and come in a standard jeans blue color, also many "relaxed fit" style size options.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 03:26:39 PM »
I second the wranglers recommendation, all of my work jeans are wranglers and they last me way longer than the Old Navy jeans I used to buy.

That said, you really need to go somewhere that has a TON of jeans (maybe a Gap or Levi's store if you have one), and just spend an hour trying them all on.  Talk to the girls who work there, they're used to all kinds of questions and are frequently bored and happy to help.  Then when you find a pair you like, buy as many as you can afford, because chances are you'll never find it again.

If you're really can't find the right pair, get as close as you can and have it tailored.  A really nice pair of jeans tailored for you will look amazing and last forever, but is by far the most expensive option.

Or try and find out where Obama gets his mom-butt jeans.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 03:35:04 PM »
I've quit wearing jeans because I can't find any that holds up for more than a few months before there's atleast one huge hole worn out in the groin/ass-area. Also because I can never find any that fits me properly either. Chinos, Dickies, cargo pants and similar is what I buy nowadays...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 03:39:19 PM »
I've quit wearing jeans because I can't find any that holds up for more than a few months before there's at least one huge hole worn out in the groin/ass-area.

I'm kinda afraid to ask....
 :P :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 03:43:34 PM »
I'm kinda afraid to ask....
 :P :laugh:
My secret mutant power - corrosive farts :P.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 03:45:16 PM »
Hm interesting.  As I get older (71, now), my body mass seems to be settling toward "the bottom," resulting in the classic male wedge-shaped torso, except the wedge is upside-down nowadays.

I briefly thought of trying on some women's pants to see how they fit, but immediately, instantly, and unequivocally dismissed the thought.  I may think some more about that...

...Nah.

I gave up on jeans a long time ago when the trend toward metro-worn-out knees and pre-fading started.

I make gun cases out of canvas, and I suspect that you will need a heavy-duty sewing machine to make your own jeans with the doubled-over seams.  My standard sewing machine barely makes it through three or four layers of canvas, sometimes needing some extra torque applied to the wheel --or whatever they call it.  Illustration is of a small auto case with mag pouch I make for my small autos and other guns.  I made a rifle case for my varmint rifle out of canvas back in the early 70s, just for taking it from the car to the field, and by cracky, I never use a regular store-boughten case for it anymore.

By the way, there's a really surprising amount of engineering that goes into sewing stuff.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 03:49:13 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 04:16:51 PM »
My problem with jean fit, is that I have a big butt, basically, but I don't have a beer belly. So all factory-made jeans that fit my waist are far too tight in the seat.
I have the opposite problem, compounded by the fact that I'm just over 6' 6" tall.  It is *really* hard to find fat man jeans with long leg.

Best jeans I've found anywhere are the house brand at Cabela's.  And I can actually get sturdy demin or canvas jeans that are long enough for about $20 a pair.  Sometimes cheaper when they are on sale.

If Cabela's has something you can wear, the price will be right and they are well-made.

"It's good, though..."

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 04:20:26 PM »
Carharrt relaxed fit. The first thing to wear on them is the spot were my muzzle sits in the bottom of my pocket. Takes quite a while for that to happen but then one day you notice this muzzle sticking out of the pant leg. It's good to catch it before anybody else does. Then I just sew the pocket corner up and they're good for a few more miles.  ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 04:28:06 PM »
Carhart or Dickies.  Both make good, tough jeans in a couple of "relaxed fit" styles in classic blue.  Both will last a good while.  I'm partial to Carpenter jeans, as I like the extra pockets, but that's you're own preferance.  I buy my Dickies at Wal-Mart.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 04:55:40 PM »
Same problem here. I just go with chinos/khakis/etc. Comfort improved drastically when I switched to them.

It is, however, embarrassing to be shaped like J-lo.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 05:15:52 PM »
I'm partial to the LL Bean hidden comfort jeans..  perfect short fat guy jeans for me.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 05:18:51 PM »
Khaki carpenter pants.  I made the transition to them.  I know you can too.   =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 06:06:36 PM »
Walmart Faded Glory or Wranglers. Both cheap, good quality, and come in a standard jeans blue color, also many "relaxed fit" style size options.

Wal-Mart Faded Glory jeans are junk/trash/detritus/[insert denegrating description of choice]. They fit badly and wear worse.

Best deal going in jeans is, however, at Wal-Mart: Rustler Jeans (made by Wrangler, possibly as a Wal-Mart exclusive). They are real jeans, they fit well (not made only for skinny guys), and they wear very well. And they only cost 10 bucks a pair.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 06:19:40 PM »

+1.  My goto jeans when I don't feel like shopping for "stylish" ones.  Or, as Hawkmoon said, I've also had good luck with the "rustler" jeans.

Another surprising deal is often to be had at Old Navy.  They've got jeans that are just jeans and quite often as cheap as Walmart and very comfortable and durable.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 06:34:06 PM »
Wal-Mart Faded Glory jeans are junk/trash/detritus/[insert denegrating description of choice]. They fit badly and wear worse.

I dunno, I've had two pairs of them for two years now and they're worn specifically for manual labor, hunting fishing, etc. They've worn fine and they fit pretty good too. But then I can only speak for my Adonis-like body of steel.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 06:49:29 PM »
Another vote for Wrangler "Rugged Wear". Two pair have lasted for me going on, I think, six years. Pot-bellied fatass, here, and I can comfortably wear IWB holsters in the relaxed fit.

SADShooter
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 07:00:59 PM »
Khaki carpenter pants.  I made the transition to them.  I know you can too.   =)
NOOOO (kicks and screams) NOOOO!!!  You can't make me! Noooo!!  :'(

=D

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 07:07:52 PM »
Carhart?   Carhart?  Holy cow, I drive by their outlet on 44th Ave in Golden a lot.  Never thought of them for blue jeans.  I thought everything they made was in Colorado Clay Tan.

I also noticed that the little army-navy store in Olde Town Arvada just off of Olde Wadsworth has Carhart stuff. 

I shall check that out next time I go past their outlet.

I get Dickies workpants at Wal-Mart and wear them to the office.  Only trouble with them is their damned belt loops are too small.   

And this seems to be true of all pants:  they put a belt loop right where the holster should hang.  Gr.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 07:13:47 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 07:20:51 PM »
When I wear a holster (rare these days) I put it right behind the loop. I use the loop like an index for where the holster should be. Personal preference of course.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 07:55:52 PM »
My problem with jean fit, is that I have a big butt, basically, but I don't have a beer belly. So all factory-made jeans that fit my waist are far too tight in the seat.

Wrangler Cowboy Cut (the infamous "13MWZ" tag code).  Cut big through the butt and upper leg.  Available at Sears, online, and pretty much every western outfitter and farm & ranch supply on the planet.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 11:12:04 PM »
Huh!  If jeans aren't doing it for you, why not abandon jeans?

Google "custom fit tailored blue jeans," take out a second (or third or fourth) mortgage, and do the deed.

Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 11:21:40 PM »
Sams club.  $13.  Lasts me for 2 years, provided I don't accidentaly set them on fire before then.  ;)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2010, 11:26:03 PM »
Riggs Workwear by Wrangler or Carharts.

Both wore real well for me when I was in the trades.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.