Author Topic: Ergs is ergs  (Read 9461 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Ergs is ergs
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2010, 01:21:09 AM »
Dang it, Jim 147, I'm sorry.  I pulled that math part out of the post on the grounds that I was thoroughly confused in jumping back and forth with exponential notation on the Windows scientific calculator*.  Forget it.  I'm going to bed.  Maybe things will be more clear in the AM.  Saturday mornings are better for that sort of stuff.

Terry, 230RN

----------
* A lot of people don't know that Windows has a scientific calculator.  Go to Start, Programs, Accessories, Calculator.  When the four-banger comes up, click on View, and select Scientific.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 01:41:03 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2010, 01:28:32 AM »
 :lol:

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2010, 01:49:45 AM »
Jim, see your PMs. 

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2010, 01:55:26 AM »
I was spectacularly underwhelmed when I shot a bunch of pumpkins(just after Thanksgiving) with my 5.45x39 Tantal.  Teeny, tiny little holes.

You did it wrong, there is supposed to be a small (or large) container of tannerite in the pumpkin before you shoot it.

bob

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2010, 11:22:56 AM »
Jim, see your PMs. 

Is it that time of the month again?...  :facepalm:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2010, 01:37:02 PM »
So, Tallpine, did they just pop them with plain old AC directly from the transformer?

Actually, they hooked a transformer up backwards so that the current was back up to the line voltage - 15K or some such.

They fried various fruits and vegetables and even set a car tire on fire (and you thought rubber was an insulator?  :O )
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2010, 03:17:44 PM »
Jim, see your PMs. 

I have a house full right now. I'm in the garage doing some work. (Working on some cold ones.)

The first CD box we ever used for the race car was rated in Joules  ??? I flipped through my books and found a conversion to BTU. That helped a lot. ;/  It did get me once. It left a pretty good mark.

I had a tech get between a transformer and a mag tube once. And he only did it once.

I didn't even think about hooking the transformer up backwards. That would be about the same as someone running a generator without a transfer or pulling the main. :O No wonder the power company doesn't like to see backfeed cables.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2010, 11:36:30 PM »
Actually, they hooked a transformer up backwards so that the current was back up to the line voltage - 15K or some such.

They fried various fruits and vegetables and even set a car tire on fire (and you thought rubber was an insulator?  :O )

Use enough voltage and anything will conduct  =D
Look, tiny text!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2010, 02:26:44 AM »
Use enough voltage and anything will conduct  =D

And, if you put the right thing in there (electrodes in a vacuum), you can create a ton of hard X-rays!

Think I saw someone get up to 3 rad/hr on the net in a home shop.   :O

I'm still surprised that you could backfeed a transformer of that many KVA without the inrush blowing every breaker along the way.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2010, 10:51:09 AM »
Think I saw someone get up to 3 rad/hr on the net in a home shop.   :O

Aieee!  That's a little into insane territory....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2010, 04:18:03 PM »
I'm still surprised that you could backfeed a transformer of that many KVA without the inrush blowing every breaker along the way.

They had a high voltage breaker hooked in with the transformer.

They actually had to reset it quite a few times.

Very interesting demonstration.  You don't want to be anywhere near a downed power line  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2010, 03:26:58 PM »
"A kilovolt here, a kilovolt there, pretty soon you're talking real electricity."

(Paraquoted from Senator Everett McKinley Dirksen, with respect.)

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 03:31:09 PM by 230RN »