Author Topic: UPS Bailout?  (Read 1994 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
UPS Bailout?
« on: August 13, 2010, 03:07:07 PM »
http://www.brownbailout.com/

I didn't know about this.

Evidently, UPS wants to force FedEx to unionize somehow.  They got some pet legislation slipped into a bill.  If it passes, the FAA will somehow require FedEx to unionize, which I don't quite understand how that works.  I can't find the legislation in question.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: UPS Bailout?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 03:29:07 PM »
I remember hearing about this last year. FedEx is more cost efficient than UPS because they don't have a unionized workforce.

Government has no business getting in the middle of those two, but Obama will want to reward his union buddies once again.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 04:00:13 PM »
FedEx is more cost efficient than UPS

May be, but their drivers get stuck a lot out here - or else they call up and want to leave your package 20 miles away because they don't want to leave the pavement.

;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 04:02:51 PM »
I remember hearing about this last year. FedEx is more cost efficient than UPS because they don't have a unionized workforce.

Government has no business getting in the middle of those two, but Obama will want to reward his union buddies once again.

That is why you will see a hotshot train coming from LA California almost everyday.  UPS found it was cheaper to have BNSF or UP stack all of UPS' trailers  on flatcars and haul them instead of moving the trailers themselves.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 06:55:17 PM »

Well, that explains why the fed.gov is switching the shipping contract from FEDEX to UPS when the new fiscal year starts this October.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 08:08:53 PM »
It's Male Bovine Excrement.

It's a regulatory dispute, nothing more.

basically, the way UPS structured it's business vs how Fedex structured its business means one isunder the National Labor Relations act, and the other is under the RLA which covers railroads and airlines.

UPS feels that the looser regulations under NLRA give Fedex an unfair advantage.  UPS wants Fedex to be covered under the same laws they are, and Fedex wants to keep their status.

Personally, I think they should both be covered either under the NRLA or the RLA, and they should figure out which they both want.

NRLA makes it easier to unionize site by site, while RLA requires it nationally.  Personally, I think the RLA is more appropriate for both of them, but that's just me.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 08:14:34 PM by Nitrogen »
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM