Author Topic: Let the Worst States Secede--Goodbye South Carolina, Arizona, and Texas  (Read 10627 times)

stevelyn

• friend
Re: Let the Worst States Secede--Goodbye South Carolina, Arizona, and Texas
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2010, 12:32:24 AM »
Soo... they want us to leave? Quick, lets skedadle before they realize they're kicking the productive ones out of this money pit! I'm sure they wont mind if other "problem children" like Montana and Alaska scoot too.  =D

I'm in! When do we let the other foot drop?

Hope you Yankees like cold winters....   

Like the founder of the Alaska Independence Party used to say. "Let the bastards freeze in the dark."

I miss having old Joe stirring the pot.  =(
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2010, 12:51:31 AM »
At least it has until the last 10 years, when nobody wants to listen to anyone anymore.

Why listen?  I've heard all of their arguments, and they don't make sense.  When I present basic facts and principles to them, they do not listen.

So, yeah, we're beyond anything that can be solved by discussion.  That leaves other options besides secession or civil war, I guess, but we're still beyond discussion.

Folk have been using the phrase "culture war" for a long time now, and it has been prophetic.  The "left" can no longer be regarded as misguided Americans or loyal opposition.  They can only be politically defeated and their mindless propaganda shouted down.  Hence the boisterousness of the recent town hall events.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 10:07:36 AM »
<snip> and the Texases keeps Californias from turning into the soviet union....
Nope. Disagree.  As a matter of opinion, just the opposite is true.  Collectivists (I like that better than "Liberals") stay in Kali, individualists head to free States like Texas. Kali gets more Fornia'd as the productive leave.  FedGov steps in, taking tax dollars from the producers to prop up failing state public service employee unions, among other local government functions.  Lather, rinse, repeat a few more times, as Federalism as a concept gets to be a quaint, fondly remembered notion.  The prductive get screwed, the unproductive get subsidized, and more and more of the folks in flyover country scratch their heads and begin to imagine a better way.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2010, 10:50:53 AM »
Nope. Disagree.  As a matter of opinion, just the opposite is true.  Collectivists (I like that better than "Liberals") stay in Kali, individualists head to free States like Texas. Kali gets more Fornia'd as the productive leave.  FedGov steps in, taking tax dollars from the producers to prop up failing state public service employee unions, among other local government functions.  Lather, rinse, repeat a few more times, as Federalism as a concept gets to be a quaint, fondly remembered notion.  The prductive get screwed, the unproductive get subsidized, and more and more of the folks in flyover country scratch their heads and begin to imagine a better way.

Yup, yup, and ... yup.  I totally agree with this.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2010, 02:25:10 PM »
Secession ain't gonna happen.  But maybe, just maybe we can start a movement to fixing the long term damage created by the 17th amendment.  Returning to the days of senators being an employee of the state they represent will go a long ways in fixing intractable problems.    
Agreed.  A return to federalism, to shared powers between the states and Feds, would go a long way to solving our current problems.  

Fixing the 17th would work.  So would, I think, enabling some sort of state veto authority over Federal legislation.  Constitutional limits on the extent of taxation (and borrowing, which is merely deferred taxation) permissible by the Feds would also help.

We can solve our problems without resorting to secession, revolution, and so forth.  We should solve our problems without resorting to those measures.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2010, 02:51:58 PM »
The problem is you need a congress to pass such changes and a president to sign. If it requires a constitutional amendment you need three-fourths of the states, which I doubt would happen. The leech states wouldn't go for it.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2010, 02:52:12 PM »
 So would, I think, enabling some sort of state veto authority over Federal legislation.  

:O  I never thought of you as the Calhoun type.  Or what do you mean exactly?

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2010, 05:11:36 PM »
Agreed.  A return to federalism, to shared powers between the states and Feds, would go a long way to solving our current problems.  

Fixing the 17th would work.  So would, I think, enabling some sort of state veto authority over Federal legislation.  Constitutional limits on the extent of taxation (and borrowing, which is merely deferred taxation) permissible by the Feds would also help.

We can solve our problems without resorting to secession, revolution, and so forth.  We should solve our problems without resorting to those measures.

I don't have any particular grievance with you but since you've opened up the door  =D

We are too far down the slippery slope of collectivism, liberal indoctrination, and federal overreach to reverse the slide. Liberty as we used to know it will never be restored, encouraged, or voted for in the halls of Congress.

Secession is not something that I enjoy talking about, but a somewhat organized and polite separation is far preferable to a messy guerilla war which will certainly erupt as the more onerous provisions of the Health Care Bill are enacted--for instance, forcing citizens to buy health care against their will.

At this point the question you have to ask yourself about secession is not "why" but "why not?" We are rapidly approaching the time when any benefits to staying in the Union as it now exists will cease to outweigh the potential prosperity of some other sort of federation. I don't pretend to be an expert on what sort of cultural, economic, and governmental trauma would both result from and cause such a move. But I can tell you right now, more and more people in independently minded states are doing the math--and coming up short in the Fed.gov column.

I'm not delusional. South Carolina, for instance, will never secede. We are too dependent on Federal welfare assistance and road money, plus the lower half of the state is fairly liberal. States like Utah, Wyoming, and Montana I can see seceding because of their low population density and relative level of energy independence would embolden them in the face of any sort of confusion in the halls of state or federal government.

The bottom line, of course, is that secession or no, the Federal crazy train is about to come off the rails. The crash will be spectacular. Who survives, who runs the various governments, and whether or not we are able to withstand the assaults on liberty on the national, state, and local level--these questions are being decided now. Sun Tzu spoke wisely when he said that the battle is decided before the armies ever meet in the field (paraphrase).

Buy food. Buy guns. Talk to your neighbors. You may not be able to motivate your local boys to get in the woods once a month but maybe you can get a loose "neighborhood watch" program started with an emphasis on preparedness and communication.

And for the love of God, buy ammunition. Ammunition will never again be as cheap as it is now. Always have enough ammunition to start or finish a small war. God help you if you have to do both.

I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2010, 05:54:43 PM »
Reading some of these comments about secession remind me of the comments made here after the 2008 election.  Perhaps I missed something, but the JBTs rounding up citizens for the FEMA re-education camps and wholesale confiscation of firearms hasn't seemed to make it up to Seattle yet.

And so now, we have some predicting civil war related to healthcare insurance, the impending demise of centralized government and people thinking states that collect far more from the Federal Government then they contribute in revenue can be viable economic vehicles if they go it alone.

The decaf is in the carafe right next to the regular and it tastes just as good.  Try it. 

Let's all check back in a year and see how that whole secession/civil war/crash of civilization thing is working out.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2010, 06:15:58 PM »
Actually, MillCreek, I fear Glenn Beck is closer to the truth than you are.  To loosely quote him, who would have predicted all the changes that have already occurred in the past two years?

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2010, 07:45:49 PM »
I don't have any particular grievance with you but since you've opened up the door  =D

We are too far down the slippery slope of collectivism, liberal indoctrination, and federal overreach to reverse the slide. Liberty as we used to know it will never be restored, encouraged, or voted for in the halls of Congress.

Well,  IMHO,  the other option is keep going, and end up like Great Britain  The Island formerly home to Great Britain.

Pardon me, but **** that.  I'd sooner take whatever is behind door 2, than end up like them. 

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2010, 12:24:21 AM »
Reading some of these comments about secession remind me of the comments made here after the 2008 election.  Perhaps I missed something, but the JBTs rounding up citizens for the FEMA re-education camps and wholesale confiscation of firearms hasn't seemed to make it up to Seattle yet.

I know you're using hyperbole, but--why would we wait that long?

And so now, we have some predicting civil war related to healthcare insurance, the impending demise of centralized government and people thinking states that collect far more from the Federal Government then they contribute in revenue can be viable economic vehicles if they go it alone.

All politics in this country is now dress rehearsal for civil war and has been since about, oh, 2002. We have two fundamentally different views of the individual, government, western civilization, and the history of all the above. We are no longer looking at a question of "if" but a question of "when." Not today. Not tomorrow. Not this year. But soon--too soon.

What will be the tipping point? Health care? Cap and trade? Mortgage forgiveness that may be coming down the pike? The key is not drawing a line in the sand. The trick is to let some bungling bureaucrat with a militarized enforcement squad and an itchy trigger finger step over it. Don't worry, we won't be baiting. They'll know exactly what they'll be doing.

But I wouldn't expect anything soon. DoJ and the White House saw how many guns disappeared off shelves in 2008 and 2009 and they know we didn't buy them for recreational purposes. And that fact, at the end of the day, is what may make what is coming an Armed Polite Secession. And that would be a good thing.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2010, 02:53:05 AM »
Secession isn't the only option, but the issue is and will be autonomy, whatever the political form it may take.  Problem is, there is no way the Powers That Be are going to permit that--because for various reasons they can't afford to--unless they are pushed to the point where they have no choice.  Without political autonomy the future is submersion and, finally, extinction of the individual freedoms at the heart of our Republic.  Our cry must be, "Let my people go!"  And some will add, "or else."

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Harrison Bergeron

• Everyone is finally equal.
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2010, 08:06:54 AM »
I don't think the level of discourse in this country was ever all that high, but there isn't much of it these days in a lot of places. 

The best thing we could do to raise the level of discourse in this country is to let the Liberals secede.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2010, 09:23:58 AM »
Okay seems the level of discourse in this thread has passed into advocating open rebellion.  As such, I'm closing it.
I've been hearing that same noise my entire adult life.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”