Author Topic: Chrysler's Gun-Toting Pickup Truck  (Read 10345 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Chrysler's Gun-Toting Pickup Truck
« on: August 14, 2010, 11:15:43 AM »
I wouldn't necessarily trust this a secure container to keep my guns in when I'm not around, but I think it's cool that a car company is bucking political correctness to advertise something like this. It reminds me of when I was a kid and every other pickup had a gun rack in the rear window. :)

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/08/13/chryslers-gun-toting-pickup-truck/?test=faces
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Chrysler's Gun-Toting Pickup Truck
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 11:24:40 AM »
Hmmm, I wonder if a chainsaw would fit in there...?   =|

:cool:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 11:25:35 AM »
It's because both Chrysler (and GM) needs desperately to appeal to the right/libertarians who are appalled at the fed.gov takeover.

They could make a model that has Dillon Aero miniguns on it with computer joystick controls and it wouldn't impress me nearly as much as ditching/breaking the UAW.
I promise not to duck.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 11:44:32 AM »
It's a truck even many liberals would be happy about - secure storage that's not accessable from the cab, and is targeted at the 'acceptable' hunting crowd.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 11:47:41 AM »
don't know if over the axle is a bump free ride

How long until the truck launches a round down the trail?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 12:00:40 PM »
don't know if over the axle is a bump free ride

How long until the truck launches a round down the trail?

Well, if you're going to use it, you probably shouldn't be stowing the gun with a round in the chamber.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 02:22:26 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 01:50:26 PM »
I'm sure that non-government Ford will bring out similar soon. I'm also sure that thieves are rejoicing. A more useful in cab rack than the traditional window one is a rack mounted in the overhead. I only have one negative experience, my dad hit a bump and his Tikka combo gun freed itself and clobbered me on the head. Much less visible than the window racks though. Reminds me, I need to go check and wipe down the K-31 behind my seat, maybe even take it out before I go to Reserve duty next week.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 02:14:26 PM »
I'm sure that non-government Ford will bring out similar soon. I'm also sure that thieves are rejoicing.

I think that depends on how robust the lock on the cabinet is; also how likely there is to be a gun/something valuable in that compartment compared to levering open the average trunk.

Personally, I'd hope that the compartment is also covered by the truck's security system.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 03:07:12 PM »
Lock?  =D

AKA Navy Joe   

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 03:16:22 PM »
Lurve the "commentary" - the rack can be rotated to hold six fishing poles for those who prefer quieter trips into the great outdoors.

And another $205 for the innards option - on top of the $1895 price of the RamBox feature itself?  How much does a standard steel toolbox cost?  http://www.aztrucks.com/product.asp?product=398 or http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.com/product.cfm/cf-bin/pn.owens-garrison-series-diamond-tread-wheel-well-tool-boxes/ .

I'm pretty sure that even I could put together a decent gun rack inside one of those boxes, beef up the gasketing, and improve the lock/security for quite a bit under $2K.  About the only thing it wouldn't have is the built-in look with matching paint job.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 03:48:32 PM »
I'm pretty sure that even I could put together a decent gun rack inside one of those boxes, beef up the gasketing, and improve the lock/security for quite a bit under $2K.  About the only thing it wouldn't have is the built-in look with matching paint job.

If it's $2k for 'both sides' then it's quite a bit more fair.  Not going to say that it wouldn't be a vastly profitable option for them, but fairer.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 03:53:47 PM »
I just wish I had something like that in my F250. It looks like a good use of the wheel well "dead space" as well as it appears, using part of the truck body. Even if I didn't store guns in it, that would be a lot of space for crap that's filling up the jumpseat on my extended cab, or that would be filling up useable parts of the bed if I got a truck box to put it all in.

The two grand is definitely a bit rich for my blood though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 05:24:58 PM »
Oh, Ford needs to do this. I see solenoids, servos, I see front seat joystick controlled 1919s deploying from the boxes while rolling down the road.
AKA Navy Joe   

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 06:12:46 PM »
It looks cool, but I'd rather see something like that mounted to the back wall of the cab, inside.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 07:03:49 PM »
Blatant discrimination against pistol shooters.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 07:16:48 PM »
It looks cool, but I'd rather see something like that mounted to the back wall of the cab, inside.

If it's a standard cab, yeah. I actually had more "out of the way" storage room in the cab on my old F150 than I have in my F250. The Fords I'm familiar with don't have behind the seat storage on extended cabs, only on the standard and crew cab models. I have under the seat storage for the back bench, but it's really limited.

I keep stuff like basic tools, emergency supplies, a rucksack with a change of clothes and shoes, etc. in the cab. It takes up the full seating area behind the drivers side so there's basically only room for one passenger in the back seat. Storage built into the bed sidewall, like on this Dodge, looks like it would hold all that stuff with room to spare. But I'm likely not buying a new truck for at least ten years, so c'est la vie. :)

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 08:03:02 PM »
Hasn't this been done before [and better] with the Ruger Ram?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 08:30:21 PM »
For that much money, I would start thinking about a utility box ...  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 09:54:20 PM »
It's because both Chrysler (and GM) needs desperately to appeal to the right/libertarians who are appalled at the fed.gov takeover.

They could make a model that has Dillon Aero miniguns on it with computer joystick controls and it wouldn't impress me nearly as much as ditching/breaking the UAW.

Yep. I would REALLY like a Jeep. I'm never buying a Chrysler or Government motors product now, though. I'm quite glad we are already driving Fords, too.

Looking for a Ford, now, and that's the ONLY "American" car I'll look at.

It's a shame, too. That looks really cool. I still wouldn't take it if they gave it away.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 10:13:42 PM »
I would like to see either that or have that same area open from inside the truck bed.  At least then, it wouldn't be obvious to anyone walking by that your truck had a compartment there and you wouldn't have to worry about matching paint.  You could also put stuff or cross boards in the bed that would restrict easy access to the door.  I don't like that compartment being so visible.

How about a built in tool box at the front of the bed that is part of the truck. 

Didn't some past truck models have a built in tool box under the back seat or what that an aftermarket thing?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 11:35:55 PM »
I would like to see either that or have that same area open from inside the truck bed.  At least then, it wouldn't be obvious to anyone walking by that your truck had a compartment there and you wouldn't have to worry about matching paint.  You could also put stuff or cross boards in the bed that would restrict easy access to the door.  I don't like that compartment being so visible.

Consider the convenience factor - if you have something in the bed you won't be able to open the compartments, and they're only an option.

Part of the cost might be reinforcement of the side panels to hold the weight, waterproofing and whatnot.

Honestly enough, you could say the thing about trunk doors - and there's a lot more space inside of a trunk, and the same unsure expectation for a thief finding something valuable in there.  We might consider having guns in there 24x365, but the average 'hunter' type wouldn't.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 02:10:40 AM »
This carries more guns for less money, and comes with a cool custom paint job and a roof hatch for the front seat gunner passenger.

http://www.pinzgauer.com/shpics.php?table=vehicles&idnum=37

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 02:23:49 AM »
What is the thing in the last picture, and does it come with the rope?  =)
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 02:54:19 AM »
It looks like a desk lamp to me.

Answer my question, what episode is your sig line from?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2010, 08:13:31 AM »
No cupholders.  Where's a guy to put his coffee?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.