Author Topic: Chrysler's Gun-Toting Pickup Truck  (Read 10346 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Chrysler's Gun-Toting Pickup Truck
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2010, 08:17:07 AM »
What is the thing in the last picture, and does it come with the rope?  =)

I'm guessing it is a lamp, since it's right over the big worktable, and pretty much everything in the vehicle would be included.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2010, 08:45:37 AM »
This carries more guns for less money, and comes with a cool custom paint job and a roof hatch for the front seat gunner passenger.

http://www.pinzgauer.com/shpics.php?table=vehicles&idnum=37

Hey, there's the camper van I've been looking for!  :cool:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2010, 08:57:45 AM »
I just wish I had something like that in my F250. It looks like a good use of the wheel well "dead space" as well as it appears, using part of the truck body. Even if I didn't store guns in it, that would be a lot of space for crap that's filling up the jumpseat on my extended cab, or that would be filling up useable parts of the bed if I got a truck box to put it all in.

Same here....I'm planning to install side-mounted tool boxes on my F-150 after I get the spray-on bedliner done. Easier to get to my stuff...and I still have my bed length (the width is already compromised by the rear wheel wells)....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 09:29:37 AM »
I will only take criminals about 2 days to figure out how to break these 'gun boxes' open while doing $1800 worth of damage to the vehicle. No thanks.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2010, 09:52:45 AM »
It looks like a desk lamp to me.

Answer my question, what episode is your sig line from?

One of the fine episodes of 'The Twilight Zone' starring Burgess Meredith.  The episode is called 'The Obsolete Man'.

Mr. Meredith also starred in what is widely considered amongst the very best episodes of 'The Twilight Zone', called 'Time Enough At Last'.  I really, really like that episode.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2010, 10:19:11 AM »
One of the fine episodes of 'The Twilight Zone' starring Burgess Meredith.  The episode is called 'The Obsolete Man'.

Thanks.  Watching. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2010, 10:27:47 AM »
Thanks.  Watching. 

I knew my copy of 'The Twilight Zone' anthology would come in handy some day.

myrockfight

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2010, 12:43:55 PM »
Lurve the "commentary" - the rack can be rotated to hold six fishing poles for those who prefer quieter trips into the great outdoors.

And another $205 for the innards option - on top of the $1895 price of the RamBox feature itself?  How much does a standard steel toolbox cost?  http://www.aztrucks.com/product.asp?product=398 or http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.com/product.cfm/cf-bin/pn.owens-garrison-series-diamond-tread-wheel-well-tool-boxes/ .

I'm pretty sure that even I could put together a decent gun rack inside one of those boxes, beef up the gasketing, and improve the lock/security for quite a bit under $2K.  About the only thing it wouldn't have is the built-in look with matching paint job.

stay safe.
The $1895 is the total Ram Box price. A little too pricey for my tastes, especially when the Hemi option is only $1300ish when your build your own. They really hit you up for the "luxury" options. I don't think I would be satisfied with my rifles being in the boxes....I don't know how secure I would feel about them being in a vehicle at all. I wouldn't be ok with them unless they were in proximity to me, or they had locks on the actions.

I don't think any of the options are great, but short of installing a safe, how secure are they going to get in a vehicle. Reality has its limits.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2010, 01:24:41 PM »
I will only take criminals about 2 days to figure out how to break these 'gun boxes' open while doing $1800 worth of damage to the vehicle. No thanks.

I'm willing to bet a lot less than 2 days.  As I mentioned earlier, I don't see them being any more difficult than car trunks.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2010, 02:04:51 PM »
I wonder if there is an eyebolt or other attachment point in these boxes that you could loop a security cable through. I would run this through the trigger guards and lock it.  This would at least further slow down the thieves.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2010, 12:18:39 PM »
Hey, there's the camper van I've been looking for!  :cool:

Keep an eye on the site; every now and then he'll have one of the six-wheel-drive versions already converted for around $20k.  Towing capacity and fuel mileage are better than any other camper on the market, not to mention the ground clearance.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2010, 12:45:41 PM »
I doubt the usefulness of the gun box, but it does show that the new Chrysler ownership gets it.  The recent Jeep advertising also seems to suggest that they now have people at the top who have a clue.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2010, 12:57:16 PM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2010, 01:08:07 PM »
Those sidebox gun lockers on the Dodge Ram make it impossible to use them as well as a camper shell.

Fistful had it right (spooky, but true):

It looks cool, but I'd rather see something like that mounted to the back wall of the cab, inside.

Then you could use a camper shell.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2010, 01:17:33 PM »
Keep an eye on the site; every now and then he'll have one of the six-wheel-drive versions already converted for around $20k.  Towing capacity and fuel mileage are better than any other camper on the market, not to mention the ground clearance.

Actually, I was looking for something like that about 35 years ago.  I'm kinda out of the mood now.  But at one point I was wondering about trying to live in an old Power Wagon ambulance...  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2010, 02:53:11 PM »
Actually, I was looking for something like that about 35 years ago.  I'm kinda out of the mood now.  But at one point I was wondering about trying to live in an old Power Wagon ambulance...  =|

http://www.pinzgauer.com/shpics.php?table=vehicles&idnum=15

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2010, 03:46:32 PM »
PS:
I always thought the ultimate outdoor pickup accessory was the "flip-pac".  Hard to come by, though.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2010, 03:48:02 PM »
PS:
I always thought the ultimate outdoor pickup accessory was the "flip-pac".  Hard to come by, though.

I think this is better
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2010, 05:05:31 PM »
I think this is better

That had to have been inspired by the Red Green show.  =D
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2010, 11:49:19 AM »
I'm also sure that thieves are rejoicing.

But so am I--now I don't have to lose my guns on a "boating accident"!   =D

Tallpine, I once heard someone say that the 2 happiest days in a Pinzgauer owner's life are the day they buy it, and the day they sell it.   :lol:
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2010, 01:46:17 PM »
Tallpine, I once heard someone say that the 2 happiest days in a Pinzgauer owner's life are the day they buy it, and the day they sell it.   :lol:

That was about the way it was with my old D-2 Cat.  =(

Thank god and peterbuilt she's gone  =D