Author Topic: Obama Strongly Backs Islam Center Near 9/11 Site  (Read 103011 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Obama Strongly Backs Islam Center Near 9/11 Site
« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2010, 11:51:51 AM »
i saw that coming!  was figuring you to say you were surprised they sent so many marines

One of those Barbary Wars only required one marine.  He sort of made up an army as he went along.  Resourceful sort of fellow.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2010, 12:11:58 PM »
One of those Barbary Wars only required one marine.  He sort of made up an army as he went along.  Resourceful sort of fellow.

And weren't they?  Kinda like that Captain Porter who took his frigate into the pacific and captured something on the order of 15 British ships, placing them under his combined command. Given one ship he went and made his own fleet along the way.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2010, 12:44:12 PM »
from IMAO.us

With the left fighting this hard for a mosque, you’d think they do abortions there or something.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #128 on: August 17, 2010, 02:07:11 PM »
And weren't they?  Kinda like that Captain Porter who took his frigate into the pacific and captured something on the order of 15 British ships, placing them under his combined command. Given one ship he went and made his own fleet along the way.
I remember hearing that was one of the big reasons we won the War of 1812.  The British whaling fleet was nearly wiped out and much of its merchant fleet was suffering from commerce raiders.  Good thing we also had some success on the ground in the end. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2010, 05:27:39 PM »

Actually, First Lieutennant Presley O'Bannon led eight Marines  and a force of 500 native mercenaries from Alexandria Egypt to Derna, where they slaughtered the enemy and raised the United States flag for the first time over foriegn soil.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #130 on: August 17, 2010, 05:40:02 PM »
Please don't forget Captain Decatur who commanded the sloop USS Enterprise and fired the captured USS Philadelphia.  That too was with a handful of men.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2010, 07:16:46 PM »
They should be allowed to build their accursed monument.
I come to this conclusion painfully. I was in the Pentagon that Tuesday morning, and I would feel the same way about a Muslim monument next to Arlington National Cemetery. 

Why?

We're better than those intolerant, insensitive bastards are. We live and operate our country by the rules laid down by great men. At times, it's hard to live up to principles, but the First Amendment wasn't intended to protect popular speech, nor was the Fifth intended to protect popular religions. We gunnies generally defend the Second Amendment as clear protection for an individual right to arm ourselves for protection from criminals and tyrants. We should not selectively back the Bill of Rights.

Besides, I can only smile as I envision the trouble they're going to encounter with blue-collar New York labor. Not to mention the hazards they'll face in their project, and the demonstrations they'll face if it ever gets completed.

Tell them "go ahead." And smile an evil smile.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #132 on: August 17, 2010, 08:01:30 PM »
And who will be called in by Obama to protect them if there's trouble at Ground Zero?

The underlying issue here is how far does a society that values individual liberty go to protect those who do NOT value individual liberty?  The Constitution is not a suicide pact.  It is not just about Muslims; we have allowed the American Left, with its autocratic, anti-individualist ambitions, to grow in all sectors of American life for at least half a century now.  Do we like what we are seeing around us?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 09:32:19 PM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #133 on: August 17, 2010, 09:06:05 PM »
Very well said, Leatherneck.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #134 on: August 17, 2010, 09:33:42 PM »
And is the USMC going to force the unions to build the mosque even if the workers don't want to?
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #135 on: August 17, 2010, 09:43:43 PM »
And is the USMC going to force the unions to build the mosque even if the workers don't want to?

There are plenty of construction workers that will build stuff, construction jobs are down.

And leatherneck, well put.  The true test of a patriot is someone who values freedoms for people who don't value their own.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #136 on: August 17, 2010, 09:58:14 PM »
well said leatherneck, the only problem I can see is by not resisting their monument to hatred they will perceive it as a victory. Good for jihadist morale bad for the resistance.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #137 on: August 17, 2010, 10:30:45 PM »
The true test of a patriot is someone who values freedoms for people who don't value their own.

The true test of a patriot is someone who understands his own values and defends them.  Keep embracing those who wish to extinguish our freedoms, citing some kind of pseudo-idealistic nonsense, and see where we end up.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2010, 10:49:21 PM »
The true test of a patriot is someone who understands his own values and defends them.  Keep embracing those who wish to extinguish our freedoms, citing some kind of pseudo-idealistic nonsense, and see where we end up.

True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.
Clarence Darrow

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2010, 10:49:51 PM »

so your kinda an ends justify the means guy?  been a recurrent theme in world politics  one particularly almost successful leader comes to mind
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #140 on: August 17, 2010, 10:51:16 PM »
The true test of a patriot is someone who values freedoms for people who don't value their own.

What was your position on the war in Iraq/Afghanistan again?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #141 on: August 17, 2010, 11:19:14 PM »
Patriotism, by itself, means nothing but loyalty to one's own; that doesn't mean that one's own endorse enlightened values.

My position on the Iraq/Afghanistan wars is that we should be there only to defend our national interests and security, not to "spread democracy." 
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #142 on: August 17, 2010, 11:23:20 PM »
so your kinda an ends justify the means guy?  been a recurrent theme in world politics  one particularly almost successful leader comes to mind

You know, Cassandra, the "Nazi" accusations really don't fly.  Every nation is "patriotic," and, as I said, that BY ITSELF is not a guarantee of anything.  I happen to believe that our core republican values ARE enlightened, but I doubt that we will be very successful in inculcating those virtues in historically alien cultures unless those societies are vanquished in war and forcibly re-educated.  That does not mean I advise this course, incidentally; what I advise is doing what's necessary and only what's necessary to protect ourselves both externally and internally.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #143 on: August 17, 2010, 11:33:35 PM »
What was your position on the war in Iraq/Afghanistan again?

I was against both wars unless we raised taxes to pay for them.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #144 on: August 18, 2010, 09:13:09 AM »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #145 on: August 18, 2010, 01:02:20 PM »
I don't see this victory mosque as a house of worship so much as a furtherance of the ongoing effort to undermine the US constitution in favor of Sharia law.  I don't think that the people behind the mosque give a flying fig about religious tolerance or freedom in general.  Rather, I think those people are smart enough to (mis)use our reverence for freedom in their bid to take freedom away from us.  

I'm in no mood to let them succeed at that.

This mosque isn't about being free to worship as you please.  Blocking this particular land development in no way impedes anyone's ability to practice Islam in NYC.  The location is highly suspect, not only for the connection to sacred land at ground zero, but also for the general neighborhood.  Recall that ground zero and the WTC is/was located in the heart of the financial district, a business and commercial district, not in a community neighborhood where people live, play, and go to church.  There is no sensible reason to put a "Muslim community center" there, other than the obvious appeal as a victory shrine, and no compelling city planning reason the city to support it.

And now I hear folks like Nancy Pelosi want to investigate the opposition to the mosque.  No mention of investigating the men and intentions behind the mosque, no sirree.  And no regard for the 1A rights of the 3/4's of the country opposed to the mosque to voice their opinions.  Those evil people (us) need to be investigated and silenced.  

The appeals to the 1A in favor of this mosque are borked up fifteen ways from Sunday.  This ain't about religious freedom, it's all about politics and the culture war.  And it stinks to high heaven.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 08:35:55 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #146 on: August 18, 2010, 01:14:42 PM »
a furtherance of the ongoing effort to undermine the US constitution in favor of Sharia law.

got it!  so if enough folks crap on the constitution to oppose this it undermines the constitution and advances shari..... thats fiendishly clever!  once they trick us into forgetting about our own constitution the camels nose is in the tent and they win.

Recall that ground zero and the WTC is/was located in the heart of the financial district, a business and commercial district, not in a community neighborhood where people live, play, and go to church.  There is no sensible reason to put a "Muslim community center" there,

recall that muslims pray 5 times a day and devout ones like to join others for that when they can.  then there is this.....
http://factcheck.org/2010/08/no-pentagon-mosque/

http://northernvirginiastan.blogspot.com/2006/06/mosque-at-quantico.html
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #147 on: August 18, 2010, 01:44:07 PM »
Patriotism, by itself, means nothing but loyalty to one's own...

Thank you. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #148 on: August 18, 2010, 01:45:50 PM »

got it!  so if enough folks crap on the constitution to oppose this it undermines the constitution and advances shari..... thats fiendishly clever!  once they trick us into forgetting about our own constitution the camels nose is in the tent and they win.
Apparently I need to say it again: opposing this particular development isn't a 1A religious freedom issue.

Recall that ground zero and the WTC is/was located in the heart of the financial district, a business and commercial district, not in a community neighborhood where people live, play, and go to church.  There is no sensible reason to put a "Muslim community center" there,

recall that muslims pray 5 times a day and devout ones like to join others for that when they can.  then there is this.....
http://factcheck.org/2010/08/no-pentagon-mosque/

http://northernvirginiastan.blogspot.com/2006/06/mosque-at-quantico.html
So lemme get this straight.  There is not a mosuqe inside the pentagon.  There is a mosque at Quantico.  Therefore... umm, what's your point, exactly?   ???

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #149 on: August 18, 2010, 01:47:57 PM »

:lol:

That's not a test for patriotism, it is a test for soft-headedness an inability to understand human nature.

This might help:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/patriotism

How to win the clash of civilizations           http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703426004575338471355710184.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEFTTopOpinion           

Yes, indeed, looking at the world as it is, not as what we would like it to be.

a furtherance of the ongoing effort to undermine the US constitution in favor of Sharia law.

CSD, you're going to have to separate delusion & propaganda from reality.  For instance, it is not unConstitutional to oppose the GZM.  Well, maybe to a "Living Constitution" type to whom the COTUS is nothing but a tool to further their own ends and is re-interpreted depending on their political ends, but the plain text does not support your assertion.

recall that muslims pray 5 times a day and devout ones like to join others for that when they can.

Well, they can join their co-religionists at the 100+/- other mosques in NYC that have managed to brave the horrific unConstitutional gauntlet of criticism.   ;/  BTW, that works out to one mosque every 4 square miles.

Besides, I thought the GZM wasn't a mosque, but a muslim community center focusing on interfaith dialog, Jim Wallis lectures, and fluffy unicorns?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton