Author Topic: Truck gun :)  (Read 27319 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Truck gun :)
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 12:31:33 PM »
I have often wondered about one of the folding carbines made by a certain manufacturer in Florida.  Either in 9 mm or .223.
Wish they made one that took CZ-75 mags.  That'd be ideal for me.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 12:44:12 PM »
Wish they made one that took CZ-75 mags.  That'd be ideal for me.

I wish they'd step up and make the Sub in a .45, preferably running 1911 mags (but hey, one running Glock mags would give me an excuse to buy that and a G21).
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 12:48:54 PM »
I could live with that instead.

=)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 01:06:48 PM »
I wish they'd step up and make the Sub in a .45, preferably running 1911 mags (but hey, one running Glock mags would give me an excuse to buy that and a G21).

It'll never happen.

Tooling, receiver frame, barrel, bolt mass will all be different. There would be no parts commonality like .40 and 9mm enjoy, so Kel-Tec will probably never produce it.

Also, the entire impetus for the design was the '94 AWB which prohibited new manufacture of folding stocks, so they decided to make a folding receiver instead. Now that the AWB expired six years ago, I don't think they'll invest in the design further, and coast on what they've got now, turning attention to the RFB bullpup .308, and the reincarnated Grendel P-30 the've just released in the form of the PMR-30, the Poor-man's FiveseveN.

I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 02:03:15 PM »
It'll never happen.

Tooling, receiver frame, barrel, bolt mass will all be different. There would be no parts commonality like .40 and 9mm enjoy, so Kel-Tec will probably never produce it.

Also, the entire impetus for the design was the '94 AWB which prohibited new manufacture of folding stocks, so they decided to make a folding receiver instead. Now that the AWB expired six years ago, I don't think they'll invest in the design further, and coast on what they've got now, turning attention to the RFB bullpup .308, and the reincarnated Grendel P-30 the've just released in the form of the PMR-30, the Poor-man's FiveseveN.

First I've seen of the RFB....<drool>
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

PTK

• friends
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2010, 02:06:54 PM »
I owned one for a period of a week and a half, fired it forty times. Best damned firearm I've ever owned.

Main issues - it cost me $1,200, no optics, and LOUD since the muzzle is that close.

Sold it when a fellow offered me $2k cash right then and there for an example he just saw functioning. Couldn't refuse, and I'm glad I didn't with how things then went in my life. ;)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2010, 10:30:22 PM »
I owned one for a period of a week and a half, fired it forty times. Best damned firearm I've ever owned.
I've heard folks say that about the RFB.  Is it really that good?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2010, 11:01:25 PM »
It supposedly has the best trigger for any production bullpup bar none. It's better than many traditional semi-auto rifles from the factory.

And with a double steel wall between the chamber and your face which is comforting too.

The one that really has me interested is the one with the 36" barrel. But in bullpup config, it's shorter than many 20" bolt-actions. With that ultra-long barrel, and a slow powder and a very heavy VLD bullet, it gives the .308/7.62 ballistics that get it into spitting distance of .300 Win Mag out of traditional rifles. Although if they ever get that variant out the door, it'll probably be $3000+ and not to mention the optics it'll need to take advantage of it's ballistics.

I'd just like the 24" variant to be produced, it'll still be very short for CQB, but have great ballistics in that length as-is. It really would be a "does it all" rifle.

Right now though, they're struggling just to make enough of the first model 18" carbines. Lots of speculation as to why it is. Latest I heard/put together was that they've got problems getting enough 440V to the new building for the CNC machinery. Possibly a problem with the local utility. More speculation, KT wants to pay from the lot-line/pole to the building, Florida power wants them to pay all the way from the substation, which would be becuceaup dollars. Might be some kind of legal dispute even...  ???

Or, they did get whatever it was solved recently, and the RFB's will be flowing in a few weeks. They seem intent in floating lots of pictures of them stacked up on racks and shelves etc.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:05:40 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2010, 11:08:49 PM »
I have no use (or funds) for another .308 rifle, but this discussion is tempting me.

PTK, how was felt recoil?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2010, 11:32:47 PM »
Sidebar:
Kel Tec has a new website.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifles/rfb/

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2010, 11:57:46 PM »
Oh. My. Want.
JD

PTK

• friends
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2010, 11:59:42 PM »
FWIW, there's one for sale in Missoula, some gun shop I have a card for. It's going for $1,600 last I looked.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2010, 12:01:21 AM »
Wow.  That is something.  The ambidextrous nature and forward ejecting appeals to me: I am right-handed but my right eye is useless for shooting.  So I generally have to shoot left-handed.  

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2010, 01:07:33 AM »
I has the wants for an RFB bad. They also need to make a Sub-2000 in .22 mag to go with the PMR.

I would love an Su-16, but strangely the PLR-16 is more useful. The national forest around here says I can carry a pistol with a CCW but gets pissy about long guns out of season. There, pistol. Why I don't know what you're talking about officer, I thought everyone carried a C-mag back-up for their carry gun. You don't? Weirdo.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2010, 10:30:55 AM »
I has the wants for an RFB bad. They also need to make a Sub-2000 in .22 mag to go with the PMR.

I would love an Su-16, but strangely the PLR-16 is more useful. The national forest around here says I can carry a pistol with a CCW but gets pissy about long guns out of season. There, pistol. Why I don't know what you're talking about officer, I thought everyone carried a C-mag back-up for their carry gun. You don't? Weirdo.

"Those in the know" have suggested that a carbine variant of the PMR-30 is in the works. Which is logical, considering that the original Grendel corporation had one to go with the P30. It won't be a folder for the same reasons as you won't see .45 in the Sub9/Sub2000 format though. It'll use as much of the PMR30 production tooling, lockwork, and other parts as possible, and the magazine of course.

IMO, I kind of like the PMR-30 which fills the need for a "Poor man's FiveseveN", so the CMR-31 (Carbine, Magazine, Rimfire, as opposed to Pistol Magazine Rimfire) would be the "Poor man's HK MP7".

I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2010, 11:20:51 AM »
Sidebar:
Kel Tec has a new website.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifles/rfb/

I suppose one can get 5 round FAL mags? 

Reason being, my wife shoots lefty, is 5'-nuthin, and likes handy carbines.  Something like this with a 5 round mag might get her in a real rifle cartridge to hunt big game.  New premium hunting bullets make a 150-165gr weight limit (for semi-autos) no big deal.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2010, 11:25:35 AM »
FWIW, there's one for sale in Missoula, some gun shop I have a card for. It's going for $1,600 last I looked.

Which one?  I want to go touch it.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2010, 05:20:01 PM »

Just dropped the boat off for electrical work.  There ain't no gun buying in my future.
JD

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2010, 05:26:53 PM »
Jamis, now that you are down here, you need to hook yourself up with one of these.  Of course, it might not suit your purposes.
http://www.bowfishtexas.com/NewBoat.html

I guess I need to talk to him about his airboat gun.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2010, 07:08:46 PM »
Jamis, now that you are down here, you need to hook yourself up with one of these.  Of course, it might not suit your purposes.
http://www.bowfishtexas.com/NewBoat.html

I guess I need to talk to him about his airboat gun.   =D

LOL
If I bought another boat, it'd be a small bay boat that can run shallow.  But if I had that disposable, I'd be upgrading sugar mama.
JD

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2010, 07:19:42 PM »
If one were to keep a truck gun, I think a lever gun would be ideal. Quick handling, rugged, and non-scary.

Preferably .357 or, if in bigger critter country, .44 for extra punch. 30-30 comes in a close second but lower recoil, larger capacity, multi-purpose ammo if one carries a wheel gun, and less over penetration in the pistol calibers. 30-30 isn't much of a long range caliber IMO so no big loss there.

12g would also work well, but I'm partial to rifles.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2010, 10:43:04 PM »
Talk to Ed Hubel, then you could have both. Come to think of it he has pretty much definitively answered the what gun for truck question.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2010, 10:57:47 AM »
Talk to Ed Hubel...
Further information/clarification/link would be helpful
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2010, 11:36:37 AM »
I've been kinda thinking a Nagant 1895 would be appropriate for a car gun.  Mostly because it's cheap ($100), and somewhat concealable if I'm ever on foot.  (moreso then a long arm)

Sure, ammo is expensive, but it wouldn't be shot much.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2010, 11:40:54 AM »
Further information/clarification/link would be helpful

I believe he's refering to this shotgun