Author Topic: Truck gun :)  (Read 27311 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Truck gun :)
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2010, 11:58:38 AM »
Yeah, my shoulder cries every time I read the 12ga from Hell thread.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2010, 01:30:42 PM »
Yeah, but for a good truck-gun, you really want serious penetration on the engine block and drive-train. Lesser calibers will just put holes in the radiator, and it could be hours before it bleeds out.

Following a Prestone/Zerex trail into the deep brush is no fun, even less fun if the truck completes it's charge.

Except for Dodges. If it's an angry Dodge, you've at least got a 50/50 chance the transmission will grind itself up and fall off the chassis on it's own.  =)

Up here in WI though we're overrun with ATV's and snowmobiles. Open season on those with a DNR "nuisance permit", and lighter calibers suffice.
I promise not to duck.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2010, 04:15:12 PM »
I believe he's refering to this shotgun
Ah.  I see now.  Well.  Ammo resupply might be an issue, if you survived touching off the ready supply.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2010, 04:21:27 PM »
I want a .357 mare's leg for the Blazer; small enough to put in a bag if I want to carry it with me, and to maneuver easily inside the vehicle, while .257 from a 10" barrel is accurate and powerful enough to do pretty much anything I might need done.

As a bonus, I think cranking one into the chamber while stuffing the front sight into a carjacker's nostril might have even more of an impact than racking a pump shotgun.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2010, 07:40:20 PM »
I believe he's refering to this shotgun

Maybe if he had a matching howdah pistol....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2010, 08:45:52 PM »
I've been kinda thinking a Nagant 1895 would be appropriate for a car gun.  Mostly because it's cheap ($100), and somewhat concealable if I'm ever on foot.  (moreso then a long arm)

Sure, ammo is expensive, but it wouldn't be shot much.

And you can silence it. ;)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2010, 09:31:07 PM »
And you can silence it. ;)

How?  Holy crap, my Nagant was like a midievil torture device.  The concussion would make other shooters pack up and leave, and the fireball singed 50yard targets.  But at least the bullet path was so unpredictable that I NASA had to track the ballistics.

PS:
Just browsed gunbroker and gunsamerica, seems that the SMLE might be the gun of choice.  Under $200 easy, big caliber, not evil and scary.  Only thing its missing is concealability if you need to get on foot and don't want to stick out.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

PTK

• friends
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2010, 09:39:33 PM »
Jamis, he's talking about the 1895 Nagant REVOLVER, not the 91/30 rifle. :P

...though, my 91/30 was silenced for a while there, too. :)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2010, 09:42:26 PM »
The .32 long-ish performance of the Nagant round is somewhat marginal. It's an officer's weapon for sticking in the ear of conscripts who don't want to get up out of the trench and march into machine gun fire.
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2010, 10:47:39 PM »
I didn't know the Nagant was French. ;)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2010, 11:05:34 PM »
PS:
Just browsed gunbroker and gunsamerica, seems that the SMLE might be the gun of choice.  Under $200 easy, big caliber, not evil and scary.  Only thing its missing is concealability if you need to get on foot and don't want to stick out.
I have to think that any of those shorter handier surplus bolt actions would work quite well.  The ammo has some punch and it also isn't so common if it was stolen.  You may not get the rate of fire of a semi-auto or levergun, but you get more power.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2010, 11:11:41 PM »
I didn't know the Nagant was French. ;)

Nagant was Belgian....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagant

....and the Belgians make the best waffles and firearms....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2010, 11:44:05 PM »
I know Nagant was Belgian. I was replying to AJ's post.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2010, 09:17:49 AM »
If you're in an area with an Academy sports, they have a Mossberg Maverick 12ga pump , 26" for $169.  Through August 28th. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2010, 09:05:44 AM »
Not sure if this qualifies as a zombie thread....it ain't that old...

Just stumbled across this
http://www.basspro.com/DUHA-Underseat-Storage-for-Ford/product/64399/-1166699
Put it on my christmas list.  I want. If I get, then I might have to find a truck gun.
Has an available lock kit, too
http://www.basspro.com/DUHA-Lock-Kits/product/102762/-1447642

Not sure how it would work with a scoped rifle or an EBR.  Neither would be on my truck gun list, though. 
JD

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2010, 02:29:21 PM »
If only my F250 had that sort of seat...  Mine's a '99 that is hinged in front and tumbles forward.  No joy.  Thanks for caring, tho'.:)
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2010, 02:55:47 PM »
No help for ya there.

As for a truck gun, now I'm real sad that I passed up a chance to get a converted .308 Jungle Carbine for $200 last year.

JD

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2010, 04:37:35 PM »
No help for ya there.

As for a truck gun, now I'm real sad that I passed up a chance to get a converted .308 Jungle Carbine for $200 last year.

The Gibbs Rifle jungle carbinized Ishapore 2a/2a1, or something else?

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2010, 05:30:32 PM »
The Gibbs Rifle jungle carbinized Ishapore 2a/2a1, or something else?

Yep that was it.  THR FTF sale when I lived in Virginia.  Ended up backing out of the sale when I couldn't come to an agreeable meeting time with the seller.  

I'm leaning towards one of these for a truck gun

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=198089974#PIC

I'd probably add a sling that holds some rounds, maybe a side saddle.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 05:41:53 PM by JamisJockey »
JD

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2010, 07:02:42 PM »
Yep that was it.  THR FTF sale when I lived in Virginia.  Ended up backing out of the sale when I couldn't come to an agreeable meeting time with the seller.  

I'm leaning towards one of these for a truck gun

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=198089974#PIC

I'd probably add a sling that holds some rounds, maybe a side saddle.

Always wondered what the Gibbs guns were like.  Gunboard and rec.guns consensus at the time was mixed.  Some said good, some said bubba-ed.

I picked up an Ishapore 2A, about a decade ago.  'Tis a cannon.  Price then, IIRC, was around $100, from Southern Ohio Gun.  (Mine was free, for rescuing my FFL dealer's financial file from the mess he regularly made of his computer.  He was good for that kind of deal, being a sucker for what passed for malware in those relatively innocent times.  Sure wish he was still alive.)

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 11:48:59 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2010, 11:19:49 PM »
I thought about a Nagant, but I hated the one I had.  I know everyone says they are awesome.  I hated mine, besides the thunderous boom it made that always shook the entire firing line....  :laugh:

Maybe a regular 2A would work if I stumble across a cheap one.  Not like its a gun I'd shoot much, mostly just keep snuggled under the back seat.
JD

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2010, 11:28:04 PM »
I've been thinking about 2A's this entire thread. I've got two. One as-is, one's sporterized. (non-destructively) It sits in an ATI mkIII stock, with a receiver bridge scope mount that's held in with set-screw tension. (I think it's B-Square)

Lee-Enfield actions, they're practically semi-auto.

$180-350 seems to be the range of the going rate for 2A's.

They make a hell of a club too. And not too shabby a spear with the bayonet either.  =)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 11:31:23 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

GadsdenGraphics

• Gadsden Graphics
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2010, 12:17:15 AM »
I know you specified a long gun, but I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest something kinda oddball - a FiveseveN.

Now hear me out - it's compact enough to stow in the glovebox or center console, and the round shoots flat enough to reach out and lay down suppressive fire at 100yds or more.  Further, with the right ammo, it will penetrate car bodies with ease and retain enough velocity to get an attacker's attention.  It also has a large ammo capacity and is ammunition is lightweight.

I currently use a CZ-52 in this role, due to the penetration of the 7.62x25 and the confines of my Honda Accord.  If I had a FiveseveN, that's what I would have filling that role.
Visit my store for unique RKBA and rightwing decals: www.GadsdenGraphics.com

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2010, 12:57:51 AM »
I know you specified a long gun, but I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest something kinda oddball - a FiveseveN.

Now hear me out - it's compact enough to stow in the glovebox or center console, and the round shoots flat enough to reach out and lay down suppressive fire at 100yds or more.  Further, with the right ammo, it will penetrate car bodies with ease and retain enough velocity to get an attacker's attention.  It also has a large ammo capacity and is ammunition is lightweight.

I currently use a CZ-52 in this role, due to the penetration of the 7.62x25 and the confines of my Honda Accord.  If I had a FiveseveN, that's what I would have filling that role.

The inherent accuracy of a handgun, a minute bullet that won't expand and may fragment, not going to get the "right ammo," If you do it still won't be too spiffy against a rolled down window inside of a car door or an angled windshield, and the hits you do get are unlikely to be quick fightstoppers.

No Thanks
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2010, 01:12:28 AM »
Haven't read the posts, but it's hard to beat a Smith&Wesson 686 as a truck gun...
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot