Author Topic: Milk is vegetarian? Really?  (Read 15090 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Milk is vegetarian? Really?
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2010, 05:50:48 PM »
Twenty y.o. daughter is going thru a vegetarian phase.  (I really think it's a 20 yo girl thing)  As long as she doesn't give up eggs and dairy, I'm OK with it.  A totally vegan diet is unhealthy unless you really work at it, and while she's struggling in college she has neither the time nor the money to devote to that and she can't afford to get sick.

While she was home for the summer, I pretty much gave up meat except for occasional 99¢ Wendy's Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers.  I didn't really miss it, but I might have without those cheeseburgers!

Now that she's back in school and the tomatoes are coming-in in the garden, I've been eating a *lot* of BLT's.  I still don't eat much beef, maybe because I'm so cheap.

A vegetarian once told me that fish weren't animals and therefor weren't considered meat.  :facepalm:   
Why can't people just say "I don't like meat except for fish" and leave it at that?  Is is so important to label everything? 
"It's good, though..."

PTK

• friends
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2010, 05:56:56 PM »
What I've noticed is that most "vegetarians" are creatures of convenience, as pointed out. Most will eat eggs, fish, dairy, etc. but nothing "cute" or anything that they "like". Fish don't scream, so.... =|
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2010, 06:33:10 PM »
Vegetarian = bad hunter but not bad fisherman  ???

In either event, most vegetarians I have run into have no problem with dairy and eggs. Basically animal is fine so long as it doesn't require killing the animal.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2010, 07:15:55 PM »
Twenty y.o. daughter is going thru a vegetarian phase.  (I really think it's a 20 yo girl thing)
Or a weight-control thing. Quite a few vegetarians are doing what they do to shed 20 lbs or so (though they rarely admit that as a reason). They're an okay bunch. The "status symbol" vegans/vegetarians, on the other hand, are from hell.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2010, 07:18:08 PM »
Sometimes it's a poverty thing.... =|

Here's to waiting for deer season.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2010, 07:55:03 PM »
I get a little religious, spirtual, or whatever about it. Maybe medevial is better. I look through history and realize that the higher rich protein sources have always been the right of the victorious. Sure, you can have some if you're a farmer, but you can have more if you oppress the farmers. Those that are not conquerors or farmers are going to eat lower value food stuff. So bring me a steak wench, I need to get big so I can go oppress more little people.

I'm only half kidding.

The hard core vegans are contrary to evolution the way I see it. We evolved large brains and bipedal motion so we could chase tasty meat, not so we could dig more roots. I read that Bible thing too, apparently our dominion covers all things tasty.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2010, 08:31:43 PM »
So bring me a steak wench, I need to get big so I can go oppress more little people.

I would also like a steak wench.  Sounds like a fun kinda girl.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2010, 09:04:56 PM »
What I've noticed is that most "vegetarians" are creatures of convenience, as pointed out. Most will eat eggs, fish, dairy, etc. but nothing "cute" or anything that they "like". Fish don't scream, so.... =|

“If trees fish could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting eating them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2010, 10:57:03 PM »
“If trees fish could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting eating them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Aren't the PETA/vegan crowd trying to call fish "water kittens" or something?.....not that it would stop me...I've eaten authentic Mexican before....whiskers and all...  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2010, 11:10:24 PM »
Aren't the PETA/vegan crowd trying to call fish "water kittens" or something?.....not that it would stop me...I've eaten authentic Mexican before....whiskers and all...  =D

Yep.  Sea Kittens: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=99249669
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

PTK

• friends
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2010, 11:34:28 PM »
....to think, I was sure I couldn't possibly dislike PETA any more than I already did.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2010, 11:42:46 PM »
As long as it doesn't require the death of the animal, it is pretty much okay.

Hmmm...I rarely eat any part of an animal that it couldn't survive without...does that make me a vegetarian?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2010, 12:00:28 AM »
Hmmm...I rarely eat any part of an animal that it couldn't survive without...does that make me a vegetarian?

It just means you're doin it wrong.

From the PETA story:
Byrne says that rebranding fish as sea kittens was obvious.
   :laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2010, 12:14:10 AM »
Yep.  Sea Kittens: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=99249669

Mmm... mmm... mmmm...

I had some tasty sea kittens tonight. Well, I think they're technically river kittens. Good stuff.

Maybe I'll start looking for some of those tasty shell kittens. Mmmmm... Shell kittens dipped in butter.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2010, 04:42:50 PM »
There used to be a sub-set of vegetarians who called themselves "lacto/ovo vegetarian." They would drink milk and eat eggs and cheese, but they would not eat meat of any kind. Another sub-set would eat fish but not "flesh" -- I never tried to explain to the fish that their corporal substance isn't "flesh."

We live in a complex world.

fish are vegetables that swim ;)
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2010, 06:31:44 PM »
Gaff a sea-kitten for PETA!

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2010, 10:54:04 PM »
I know a guy that's vegetarian except for the fish, pork and beef he eats.

Basically he's only a vegetarian when eating outside his house.  At a restaurant he'll eat fish if he can't find anything else on the menu he likes.  At home he'll eat pork and beef but only organic stuff that's from a local farm where he knows it had a good diet and wasn't injected with antibiotics.

That actually makes sense to me.  But it was funny learning how "vegetarian" he really was one day. :)

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2010, 12:24:38 AM »

No, but it reminds me of the joke about the pig with a wooden leg.
"It's good, though..."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2010, 05:43:08 AM »
No, but it reminds me of the joke about the pig with a wooden leg.

Just remember....when it comes to breakfast, a chicken just makes a regular contribution...the pig makes a lifetime committment...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2010, 09:19:23 PM »
I heard that a guy died from drinking milk!

the cow sat down!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2010, 01:40:32 PM »
Quote from: revdisk
I never did understand the appeal of moving down the food chain.

That equates the empirical concept of food chain (that you are at the top if you continue killing less self-aware/intelligent/social creatures) with the theoretical concept of food chain (that you are at the top if you can, if necessary, kill to other creatures to stay alive).

It also ignores that people aren't typically hunting for their own meat.  They're buying it pre-killed, after its short lifetime of living in utterly disgusting conditions.  The entire process is heavily mechanized and takes minimal skill even for the people doing the animal raising and slaughtering.  Does working on an animal farm or at an abattoir really make someone lord of the food chain?  I don't think so.  Buying meat at a grocery store certainly doesn't.

Ignoring the ethical swamp of whether raising, killing, and eating animals is bad, there are other reasons people might be veg*ns, e.g. health and environmental sustainability / land use.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2010, 02:17:29 PM »
Two pages of posts and no long pork reference?

:O
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2010, 03:16:42 PM »
If the Almighty didn't want us to eat animals, then He wouldn't have made them out of meat.

I'm on a vegetarian diet - I only eat vegetarians.

Vegetables aren't food - vegetables are what food eats.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2010, 03:31:10 PM »
They're buying it pre-killed, after its short lifetime of living in utterly disgusting conditions.  The entire process is heavily mechanized and takes minimal skill even for the people doing the animal raising and slaughtering.

Thank you so very much for insulting all my cattle rancher neighbors  :mad:

FYI, we go out and ride our horses in those "utterly disgusting conditions."   I guess you don't like hills and pine trees and far off mountain vistas   ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2010, 04:28:01 PM »
If the Almighty didn't want us to eat animals, then He wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Me "Does God make mistakes?"

Veggie-tarian "Never!"

Me "Well, I'm confused.  You just said God made a mistake."

Veggie-tarian "No I didn't!!"

Me "Yes, you did.  You just said God made a mistake when he made us."

Veggie-tarian "What?  Prove it!!"

Me "You say God doesn't want us to eat meat.  Okay.  Problem is these pointy teeth in our mouths are called canines.  They're only useful for the biting, ripping, and tearing of meat.  Why are they there if God doesn't want us to eat me?  See, God made a mistake."

Veggie-tarian  "I, um... what?"

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB