Author Topic: McCain in the Lead ?  (Read 5499 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: McCain in the Lead ?
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
The GOP didn't "roll over" during the government shutdown.  They got stomped into the dirt, politically.  There just wasn't that much mainstream support in the country for the shutdown, the people didn't want it.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2010, 04:37:17 PM »
What I hope is that the new GOP majority in the House defunds a lot of programs. They may remain on the books, but with no funding, won't be implemented.
One thing to have majority in both houses.  Completely different situation to have a veto proof majority.  Defunding is about the only option available to a congressional majority that does not own the white house also.  Problem is defunding does nothing to stop damage in the future.  A tactic the elites have used to perfection is to insert provisions of <insert agenda item of choice> into other legislation and let it sit there until needed.  I remind the gentle reader that for all of history carbon dioxide was a beneficial component of life.  Twenty-five years later one small provision of law is used to re-classify the gas as a dangerous substance which has to be regulated.  And so now we face a future where literally the air we breathe will be regulated and no doubt taxed.  Don't know about you but I think that tends toward tyranny.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2010, 06:28:53 PM »
The GOP didn't "roll over" during the government shutdown.  They got stomped into the dirt, politically.  There just wasn't that much mainstream support in the country for the shutdown, the people didn't want it.
The Clinton team was very good at manipulating the media and many in the media were all too ready to blame Republicans for everything.  I guess it remains to be seen if the Obama team has that much ability.  They haven't shown it so far.  Part of the difference is that the economy was still flying high during Clinton's 2nd term so people were content.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge