Author Topic: Oldschool equipment  (Read 958 times)

White Horseradish

• friend
Oldschool equipment
« on: August 30, 2010, 12:54:03 AM »
Got me an air compressor today. When was it that Gilbarco made shop compressors?  50's? 60's? I hear the compressor business became Quincy at some point.

Heavy sonofabitch. Cast iron, and all that. Westinghouse motor. Need to get a broken-off fitting out of the tank and wire it up, and it should be good to go.

There is just something about an old thing like that...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Leatherneck

• friend
Re: Oldschool equipment
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 05:38:03 AM »
You betcha. Old cast-iron equipment was built to endure. Motor OK?

TC
TC
RT Refugee

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 09:18:53 AM »
The guy I got it from says it is. I haven't tried yet - it used to be hardwired, so there is no cord. I have one, but it was a bit late to work on it last night.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 10:11:11 AM »
I have a big old westinghouse motor on a grinder of mine.

Crazy motor, the whole thing is made of castings, whereas now a days, it would all be stampings.

It's heavy, easy to work on, and had endured.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 10:24:10 AM »
Take a close look at the tank. It should have a date stamped into it, or a tag welded to it.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 08:09:20 PM »
Take a close look at the tank. It should have a date stamped into it, or a tag welded to it.

jim
Found the tag. 1973.

You betcha. Old cast-iron equipment was built to endure. Motor OK?

TC
Just got it running. It works, but seems to be kinda slow. The motor says it's a 110/230, and there is a cover missing where I can see some terminals with wires. I wonder if there is some setting that needs to be changed to use 110.

Robert A Heinlein

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 08:13:10 PM »
Probably.  Often the nameplate has config for different voltages.

Don't run with the wrong setting, either way you'll smoke the motor!

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 11:10:14 PM »
The voltage has no bearing on the motor speed.
There is most likely nothing wrong the old compressors ran very slow. Thats why they last so long.
There is probably a 2" pulley on the motor and a 8-12 inch on the compressor, motor is most likely 1725 rpm. Use you math skills to figure out the compressor speed.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods