Author Topic: Tractor Beam Today, Transporter Tomorrow  (Read 9192 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Tractor Beam Today, Transporter Tomorrow
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2010, 10:22:12 AM »
Though there were no marines in it, one of the better episodes was "Arena" (after the Fredrick Brown short story). When they were under attack at the outpost, they found and used (I forget what they called it) some kind of photon grenade launcher.

One particular thing I always wondered about was armor.  They never had any.  With the amount of power they could put into little guns, you would think they could come up with active armor plates or armored suits that could handle a number of hits.  Even a force field riot shield would be better than nothing.  Hell, the ship could generate force fields on any deck they wanted yet enemies boarding the ship would run free and internal sensors never worked. 

I can understand the complaint about technical inconsistencies.  If you look at our technology today, once one idea or technique is developed, we come up with all sorts of ways it can be exploited.  People are always looking for ways to make new gadgets.  Maybe it is the negative effect of not having money on Trek Earth.  No one gives a damn anymore. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2010, 10:58:26 AM »
I always wondered what sea going captain had his ship boarded and taken over umpteen times by various forces, or even it's internal systems, only to gain control back later, and kept his command...  :laugh:

It has it's moments, but I never understood the absolute love for Star Trek, (I mean to the point of putting on ears and costumes) by anyone who's read even one good hard-SF novel.

Star Wars OTOH, gets a pass, because it at least KNOWS it's not Sci-Fi, it's Space Opera.
I promise not to duck.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2010, 06:33:55 PM »
One particular thing I always wondered about was armor.  They never had any.  With the amount of power they could put into little guns, you would think they could come up with active armor plates or armored suits that could handle a number of hits.  Even a force field riot shield would be better than nothing.  Hell, the ship could generate force fields on any deck they wanted yet enemies boarding the ship would run free and internal sensors never worked.....

One thing I wondered about after decades of contemplation was weapons retention.  Kirk velcrod his phaser on his hip (that's actually what the actors used [tinfoil] )  and it seems to me any green dancing girl or multitentacled space critter wouldn't have too much trouble grabbing a weapon so exposed ... although it was a neat design as weapons go. =D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2010, 06:52:31 PM »
One thing I wondered about after decades of contemplation was weapons retention.  Kirk velcrod his phaser on his hip (that's actually what the actors used [tinfoil] )  and it seems to me any green dancing girl or multitentacled space critter wouldn't have too much trouble grabbing a weapon so exposed ... although it was a neat design as weapons go. =D

I'm pretty sure the green dancing girls grabbed hold of his weapon a lot...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2010, 09:07:53 PM »

At least the space-STD vaccines seemed to work better than the other technology....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2010, 11:37:19 PM »
:laugh:   Ziiiing .....  :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero