Author Topic: any kia owners here?  (Read 669 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
any kia owners here?
« on: September 11, 2010, 05:18:11 PM »
particularly the sorrento?  am looking  thinking about the 6 cyl so i can tow a pop up but might go with 4 cyl and use jeep for pop up.  any news/opinions good or bad are welcomed
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
Re: any kia owners here?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 10:35:40 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of Kia or the Sorrento, but there are worse SUVs to be had(Suzuki comes to mind).  Are you thinking new or used?  New would be alright considering their warranty, but I've seen too many "wierd" things(i.e. unusual repairs, not wear-out items, etc) on relatively young vehicles to consider purchasing one at few-years-old prices.  For my money, an older "better" truck would be a better option.

The particular troubles to which I refer are clattery engine top-ends(two vehicles, both between 50k and 100k, oil changes done regularly at my shop) and bad rear upper ball joints(one truck, 60k) which resulted in the premature wear of some very expensive tires.  The engine troubles were never resolved under warranty - dealer claimed owner neglect for each despite documented maintenance; the ball joints were covered but the tires were already wasted.  These things are not necessarily representative of the Sorrento, but still make me wary.

Also, being that $4500 recently got me a second-owner '94 4WD 4Runner with 140k, I would suggest looking around :) You can find some very good used trucks which will do you fine, particularly if you're going to beat it up towing a trailer.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 12:19:27 AM »
Don't leave your sock monkey in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJqs3D2vv4I
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 01:11:23 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of Kia or the Sorrento, but there are worse SUVs to be had(Suzuki comes to mind).  Are you thinking new or used?  New would be alright considering their warranty, but I've seen too many "wierd" things(i.e. unusual repairs, not wear-out items, etc) on relatively young vehicles to consider purchasing one at few-years-old prices.  For my money, an older "better" truck would be a better option.

The particular troubles to which I refer are clattery engine top-ends(two vehicles, both between 50k and 100k, oil changes done regularly at my shop) and bad rear upper ball joints(one truck, 60k) which resulted in the premature wear of some very expensive tires.  The engine troubles were never resolved under warranty - dealer claimed owner neglect for each despite documented maintenance; the ball joints were covered but the tires were already wasted.  These things are not necessarily representative of the Sorrento, but still make me wary.

Also, being that $4500 recently got me a second-owner '94 4WD 4Runner with 140k, I would suggest looking around :) You can find some very good used trucks which will do you fine, particularly if you're going to beat it up towing a trailer.

great info  thanks its exactly what i'm looking for

car/suv is gonna be wifes and we often need the extra pair seats. trailer towing will be fairly rare  i have a jeep and anotjer truck  would be a pop up camper or occaisional utility trailer. i shoulda realized the warranty was non transferrable
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I