Author Topic: Windows Picture and Fax Viewer  (Read 1150 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
« on: September 15, 2010, 12:05:16 PM »
Where is this utility accessible? I have a co-worker who needs to view and print .tif files. When he tries to open the attachment, he sees a "find/save/cancel" dialog box. I apparently have the viewer, as it opens automatically when I access the attachment. I'd like to install it, or verify that he has it and associate it to the file type.

Any help appreciated.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Regolith

• friend
Re: Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 12:13:31 PM »
Right click on the file you want to open, go down to "Open With,"  then select Windows Picture and Fax viewer.  If its not on the list, go down to "Choose Program..." and it should be on the list of recommended programs.  If you want Windows Picture and Fax Viewer to always open that type of file, click on the "Always use selected program to open this kind of file" option, then hit Ok.

Edit: In Vista (and possibly Windows 7) they renamed it to "Windows Photo Gallery."  Otherwise, the process is the same.

I believe it's built into the OS, so as long as it's a Windows platform, it should have the program installed.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 12:22:54 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 03:21:14 PM »
Irfanview and Gimp will cure what ails you, though GIMP is overkill, function-wise.

GIMP is GPL'd, so anybody anywhere can use it.  Irfanview is a great middling image tool, is free for personal use, cheap for commercial use.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 09:41:12 PM »
@ roo_ster

Thanks for the tip!  I just downloaded Irfanview.  Nice little program.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 03:08:29 PM »
Thanks, all. Something still funky with the OS prompts on the PC (don't get an Open option) but Irfanview is a workaround until our ITard is back from Thailand.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 03:07:02 AM »
IT-ard in TI-land, sounds fishy. :angel: