Author Topic: Your sales tax?  (Read 12438 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Your sales tax?
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 05:47:33 PM »
i think some retailers are "voluntarily" collecting "use tax"  
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 05:56:50 PM »
Generally, it's 5%. There are a couple of things taxed at a higher level (up to 10%) that mostly hits tourists.

Maine has other ways of getting your money.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2010, 05:59:55 PM »
i think some retailers are "voluntarily" collecting "use tax" 
Yep, I believe certain states have bullied certain retailers into collecting taxes for them.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 06:07:11 PM »
Didn't Amazon recently have a big pissing match with New York state about sales tax? Can't remember how that one came out.

Oh yeah:
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/13/court-to-amazon-keep-collecting-sales-tax-to-new-yorkers/

Amazon lost.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2010, 06:11:02 PM »
Didn't Amazon recently have a big pissing match with New York state about sales tax? Can't remember how that one came out.

Oh yeah:
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/13/court-to-amazon-keep-collecting-sales-tax-to-new-yorkers/

Amazon lost.

I admit I am ornery, but if I ran Amazon I'd be tempted to just say "Fine... we won't sell to New Yorkers."

Then let the citizens of New York sort it out.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 08:09:34 PM »
i'm starting to think NC stands for new and improved chicago. [tinfoil]

here they made it as confusing as they could manage.
link

In North Carolina, the state levies a general retail sales and use tax of 5.25 percent.  Most counties levy a 2.5 percent local sales and use tax on items taxed by the state at its general rate.  As a result, the combined general state and county tax rate is 7.75 percent in all counties except Mecklenburg County, which has a rate of 8.25 percent due to a 0.5 percent public transit tax.  Alexander, Catawba, Cumberland, Haywood, Martin, Pitt, Sampson & Surry have an additional .25% sales tax.

Most tangible goods, room and cottage rentals, laundry and dry cleaning services, mixed beverages

State tax rate 5.5%  and  Local tax rate 2.25%*

Telecommunications services, spirituous liquor,cable and satellite television

7%  and  Exempt

Sales of aircraft, boats

3%  and  Exempt

Electricity for general use

3% and Exempt

Electricity for qualifying manufacturing industries and plants

0.8%**  and  Exempt

Food for home preparation

Exempt  and  2%

* Mecklenburg County has an additional .5% sales tax; Alexander, Catawba, Cumberland, Haywood, Martin, Pitt, Sampson & Surry have an additional .25% sales tax.
**Effective July 1, 2010, sales of electricity to manufacturers for qualifying purposes will be exempt from sales and use tax.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2010, 08:13:57 PM »
Here in Snohomish County, Washington, 25 miles north of Seattle, the state and county sales tax combined is 8.9%.  Some cities tack some on as well, so I have paid up to 9.5% sales tax in this area.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2010, 08:32:06 PM »
8.6% in Kitsap county, just west of Millcreek. Also, can't forget the $0.26 the state takes for each gallon of gas, or the $30.25/carton cigarette tax. They also tax soda, beer, candy, and bottled water at a higher rate. Several taxes are rolled into the shelf price of the item, so it's not always intuitive what is being taxed at a higher rate.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2010, 10:24:50 PM »
5.25% here. But most of the places I shop are 6-9%. And Misery residents get charged sales tax on out of state internet sales. 99% of the of the internet sites I deal with add this tax.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 11:22:03 PM »
And, now, a music selection from among my many favorites. Take it away boys!

http://ilike.myspacecdn.com/play#Bill+Kirchen:Working+Man:22289940:s23382321.8279955.658936.0.2.240%2Cstd_f7423d86bfac44b5a9721f952cdc8cfc

Oopsy, looks like it's the abridged version, best I could do, you'll get the picture. Good album BTW for you musical types.

So the lyrics continue, "Now the working man can't understand, why he can't buy a ticket to the promised land." Good tune.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 11:25:59 PM by 280plus »
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2010, 10:15:51 AM »
Michigan: 6% sales tax and 4.35% Income tax. We also have use tax.
Look, tiny text!

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2010, 08:57:49 PM »
Minneapolis has a 7.775% sales tax. Grocery food and clothing is not taxed. We're paying for the Metrodome built in 1981 and the new Twins stadium. This is the base. If you eat or drink downtown, you pay another 3%. Liquor/beer in a bar with live music is raises the tax to just over 15%. We have high property taxes in the city ('cause the city needs the money) as well as an income tax. We will retire in Texas to avoid taxes.

This is the land of 10,000 lakes and 10,000 taxes.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2010, 01:28:34 AM »
It's different for county or city here. State has a %, county gets a % city gets a %. Most cities add it up to around 9.5% or better. Since I'm in the coutny my sales tax on in state internet buys is 5%.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

P5 Guy

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 01:22:11 PM »
Florida income taxes banned by the state constitution.
State sales tax 6% Pinellas County, where I live, adds thee Penny for Pinellas for a total of 7%.
 [ar15] I HATE paying taxes.

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2010, 01:38:36 PM »
19,6% sales tax here in France on most goods and services.
All together there are 214 different taxes and I pay them all.
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2010, 03:00:03 PM »
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2010, 04:52:14 PM »
19,6% sales tax here in France on most goods and services.
All together there are 214 different taxes and I pay them all.

Youch!  And I thought my 7.7% was bad.  =|

280plus

• friend
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2010, 06:14:51 PM »
Gee, I used to like France...

laurent, you're still ok though. Should we send you money?  :lol:

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2010, 08:02:33 PM »
When I moved to AZ, I got treated to the delights of a 7% sales tax AND a state income tax. rolleyes  Seemed very irresponsible to me, that a state needed BOTH of those revenue sources when I knew of and lived in two states that only required one or the other.  AND they had a higher sales tax than WA.

Got both of those here in SC. But 9.5%? That's frickin insane.

And yeah, sure, I believe the line "It's only a temporary 1% increase for a new school/library/wtf ever was the new pet project". Yeah, right. Taxes are NEVER removed after they are applied.

"Because every child is worth a penny".

I've seen plenty of thug-children that aren't worth a penny and aren't worth the bullet they richly deserve (kicking a disabled person's service dog, for one example)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 08:20:44 PM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2010, 08:18:35 PM »
Michigan: 6% sales tax and 4.35% Income tax. We also have use tax.

And lucky people who live in one of several cities, including mine, get to pay municipal income tax as well.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2010, 12:24:42 AM »

Good heavens - sending money, with no exchange of goods?  Imagine the cut the French government would take from that!
(of course, one wonders what sort of effect would come of "taxing" remittances to Mexico... not that I support such measures)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2010, 04:43:46 AM »

I'd bet there is a tax on that if you do.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

280plus

• friend
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2010, 07:10:37 AM »
Simple, we'll head over to France with a big bundle of cash for Laurent. We'll disguise ourselves in Bermuda shorts, sandals with socks and Alligator shirts. Then we'll hang like 3 cameras around our necks and wander around Cote D'Azur asking stupid questions in the worst French they have ever heard. At some point in the process we'll drop Laurent the cash at a predetermined spot. They'll never figure it out.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:21:10 AM by 280plus »

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2010, 12:40:51 PM »
Good heavens - sending money, with no exchange of goods?  Imagine the cut the French government would take from that!
(of course, one wonders what sort of effect would come of "taxing" remittances to Mexico... not that I support such measures)
a one hundred percent tax on all out of country money transfer FEES,(not the total) doesn't sound like a bad idea from here. :angel:

sorry about all that font stuff, didn't feel like being flamed today. [tinfoil]

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2010, 04:50:54 PM »
Simple, we'll head over to France with a big bundle of cash for Laurent. We'll disguise ourselves in Bermuda shorts, sandals with socks and Alligator shirts. Then we'll hang like 3 cameras around our necks and wander around Cote D'Azur asking stupid questions in the worst French they have ever heard. At some point in the process we'll drop Laurent the cash at a predetermined spot. They'll never figure it out.  ;)

Sounds like an average client to me, since I am a Business Travel Consultant - they just never drop me any cash.

Seriously, soon enough I'll be grateful getting a CARE package. Keep the cash - they just take it from me anyway, but they'll stay off my CARE package if you drop it during the night. I'll send you my google earth coordinates  1256° NE or some such.
Thanx, Dude!   :lol: :lol:

Vada a bordo, Cazzo!