Author Topic: Remind Me Again Why We Remain in the UN?  (Read 5344 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Remind Me Again Why We Remain in the UN?
« on: September 23, 2010, 07:19:18 PM »
I'm getting really tired of my tax money going to support a rather large portion of this home for wayward jackasses.

I'd like to know which representatives applauded.

http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/09/23/applause-for-ahmadinejad/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Remind Me Again Why We Remain in the UN?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 08:18:35 PM »
Because we're responsible for all the world's ills? :facepalm:

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 08:39:29 PM »
I'm not so fond of leaving the UN, but I do think they need to repo the UN building and turn it into low rent housing. Then wherever the UN lands, we need to put someone in our seat of the security council whose job is to make damn sure nothing ever happens there. Oh, and never give them another plug nickel.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 10:13:36 PM »
As much as I would like to, in a perfect world, see us tell the UN to go to hell, in the Real World I realize we have to make compromises.

This is much like the discussion we had here a few months ago regarding US isolationism. I'm for some form of it theoretically, but realize we can't abandon our positions and the intelligence we gather by our assets around the world. I see the UN in much the same way. They suck, but if we don't have a presence, it can hurt us. That may change at some point in the future, but for now we have to suck it up. Doesn't mean we have to like the situation, or the asshats in charge of UN committees.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 10:27:23 PM »
To its committed members the UN is still the organization of heart, humanity, and justice, but to those removed a few paces it looks like Captain Hook's crew -- unelected dictators, rapacious theocratics, modern day slavers, ditzy-brained movie stars, fat-assed civil servant desk squatters, recovering alcoholics, autocratic wife-beaters, unashamed child-buggers, and so forth and so on, a grotesque line-up of ill-mannered, self-pitying, caterwauling freeloaders banging their tin cups on the pavement demanding handouts.

(With apologies to Nicholas Von Hoffman, who originally wrote a paragraph in much the same vein about the Democratic Party.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 11:37:52 PM »
As much as I would like to, in a perfect world, see us tell the UN to go to hell, in the Real World I realize we have to make compromises.

This is much like the discussion we had here a few months ago regarding US isolationism. I'm for some form of it theoretically, but realize we can't abandon our positions and the intelligence we gather by our assets around the world. I see the UN in much the same way. They suck, but if we don't have a presence, it can hurt us. That may change at some point in the future, but for now we have to suck it up. Doesn't mean we have to like the situation, or the asshats in charge of UN committees.

I agree with this.  Also, our veto vote on the Security Council is invaluable.  I would expect that without it other countries would be passing anti-gun and world income tax provisions.  If we ignored the provisions, we would be considered the outlaw state, and we might be subjected to the kind of boycott that South Africa had to endure.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 01:12:10 AM »
I agree with this.  Also, our veto vote on the Security Council is invaluable.  I would expect that without it other countries would be passing anti-gun and world income tax provisions.  If we ignored the provisions, we would be considered the outlaw state, and we might be subjected to the kind of boycott that South Africa had to endure.

Heavens.  Then we might be forced to produce and sell our own stuff again.  Maybe even have to find energy sources within our own borders.  Yes, that would truly be disastrous. :P Seriously though, if the rest of the world wants to disarm its citizens, impose crippling taxation, and submit to a leftist "world" government, it can go right ahead.  I'm not interested in Americans being dragged down that road.

I get what you're saying, but I am unconvinced that the UN has done one bit of good in the past few decades.  I submit to you the utterly spineless treatment of the North Korean attack on the South Korean navy ship, or the election of Iran to the council on women's rights, etc.  Instead of standing up to evil, they talk down to the US... while taking our money.

Thank you, no.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 08:19:23 AM »
...rapacious theocratics, modern day slavers, ditzy-brained movie stars, fat-assed civil servant desk squatters, recovering alcoholics, autocratic wife-beaters, unashamed child-buggers, and so forth and so on, a grotesque line-up of ill-mannered, self-pitying, caterwauling freeloaders banging their tin cups on the pavement demanding handouts.

One could make the mistake of thinking you were talking about Obama's cabinet...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 09:03:55 AM »
Then we might be forced to produce and sell our own stuff again.  Maybe even have to find energy sources within our own borders. 

Yes, there might be an upside. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 09:46:02 AM »
Heavens.  Then we might be forced to produce and sell our own stuff again.  Maybe even have to find energy sources within our own borders.  Yes, that would truly be disastrous. :P Seriously though, if the rest of the world wants to disarm its citizens, impose crippling taxation, and submit to a leftist "world" government, it can go right ahead.  I'm not interested in Americans being dragged down that road.

I get what you're saying, but I am unconvinced that the UN has done one bit of good in the past few decades.  I submit to you the utterly spineless treatment of the North Korean attack on the South Korean navy ship, or the election of Iran to the council on women's rights, etc.  Instead of standing up to evil, they talk down to the US... while taking our money.

Thank you, no.
The UN has been pretty spineless about a lot of incidents.  It is usually the US who pushes for more than just a slap on the hand. 
My question is always What does the UN actually do that is so valuable?  Does it do anything that we couldn't already do through our own embassies and treaties? 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 09:50:29 AM »
The UN has been pretty spineless about a lot of incidents.  It is usually the US who pushes for more than just a slap on the hand. 
My question is always What does the UN actually do that is so valuable?  Does it do anything that we couldn't already do through our own embassies and treaties? 

The only thing the UN does is empower tyrants, make laughable appointments to the "human rights" council, and generally make ineffective governments "feel" like they're accomplishing something.

Seriously... screw the UN.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 10:19:27 AM »
Can we name one accomplishment of the UN in recent years besides clogging up traffic in NY?

Genocide has been on going in Sudan for how many years now?  :facepalm:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 10:26:50 AM »
Can we name one accomplishment of the UN in recent years besides clogging up traffic in NY?

Genocide has been on going in Sudan for how many years now?  :facepalm:
Forget recent years.  List the UN accomplishments since inception and we can debate how valuable they were. 

Also, y'all mention the Human Rights Council, but who are they and what have they actually done?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 10:27:53 AM »

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 10:29:41 AM »
Forget recent years.  List the UN accomplishments since inception and we can debate how valuable they were. 

Also, y'all mention the Human Rights Council, but who are they and what have they actually done?

My point about the human rights council was that some really EVIL countries ahve been appointed to it, thus rendering it a laughable parody of it's purpose, at best.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 10:33:59 AM »
I have that shirt.  :cool:

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 11:49:39 AM »
http://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/hrcouncil/membership.htm

Officers of the Human Rights Council
President
H.E. Mr. Sihasak Phuangketkeow (Thailand) (Biography)

Vice President and Rapporteur
H.E. Madam Bente Angell-Hansen (Norway)

Vice Presidents
H.E. Mr. Arcanjo Maria Do Nascimento (Angola)
H.E. Mr. Rodolfo Reyes Rodríguez (Cuba)
H.E. Mr. Fedor Rosocha (Slovakia)

Argentina
Bahrain
Brazil
Burkina Faso
Chile
France
Gabon
Ghana
Japan
Pakistan
Republic of Korea
Slovakia
Ukraine
United Kingdom
Zambia

Cuba, Saudi Arabia, and Mexico all have turns coming up as well.

IMHO, the UN is a useless organization to its core.  Succumbing to a one world government will kill all that is good about America.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 12:20:29 PM »
We stay in the UN because our enemies are there.

If Mackmood Hackwhoneedsajob can stand up there and belittle us in an international forum, we need to have the ability to address the same audience.

I do think we need to relocate it out of New York though.  Just think of how much liberalism would leave that city if the UN was no longer there?

Perhaps "donate" one of the unpopulated islands in the Aleutian archipelago to the southwest of Alaska?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 12:29:19 PM »
I don't understand why it would need to remain anywhere in the US. They're always trying to 'uplift" various Third World countries. What better way than giving one of them the "honor" of hosting the UN HQ?

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 01:01:30 PM »

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 02:43:10 PM »
I don't understand why it would need to remain anywhere in the US. They're always trying to 'uplift" various Third World countries. What better way than giving one of them the "honor" of hosting the UN HQ?
Because the US is safe and civilized. Can't expose our betters to danger now can we.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 03:01:48 PM »
Because the US is safe and civilized. Can't expose our betters to danger now can we.

We could always give it to Sweden.... >:D
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 03:14:50 PM »
i believe Greece could use the stabilizing effect of the UN :angel: now then, where do i send cash to help the relocation effort.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 07:20:15 PM »
I thing the UN building should be turned into a mosque.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 07:45:01 PM »
great idea, but let's turn it into a church. then the Muslims can rebuild it as a mosque. [popcorn]

just remember to leave the UN offices in the top of the building.