Author Topic: How old are you/technologically savvy?  (Read 25775 times)

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
Re: How old are you/technologically savvy?
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2010, 12:25:59 PM »
Not at all.  I used a typewriter through high school and my first semester of undergrad.  OJ's are not traditionally early adopters of technology.  I have written a number of term papers--including footnotes--on a typewriter.  I used a typewriter on my first law firm job too--I was the receptionist and one of my duties was typing up shipping labels, forms, and similar errata.  Not so much editing, but plenty of typewriter use in a professional setting. 

Yes, in a business environment with a moderate to heavy volume of docs and correspondence, it is.  My point was that the learning curve and time/money investment from zero-a single finished document is far shorter with a typewriter than with MS Word on a PC. 

You are a masochist.

netbook = $200
Oracle OpenOffice (aka LibreOffice now) = $0
cheapo brother 2140 laser printer or similar ~= $120
time saved correcting errors, effort saved moving the typewriter around = priceless

There's a learning curve involved in using a modern computer and a modern word processor, but anyone who doesn't consider that a worthwhile investment of effort should really be living in the woods reading Al Gore's Earth in the Balance.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2010, 12:48:54 PM »
Double post. :(
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 12:59:31 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2010, 12:58:51 PM »
I also enjoy writing by hand, especially since I switched to a roller ball. It's a pretty good way to jot down thoughts as they pop up in the ole noggin. Of course, the arranging, rethinking and revising is much easier with a text editor.

I must mention this (Bridgewater, you'll find this amusing):

In college in the early 1960s I used to write by using a roll of shelf paper hung on a bent-up coathanger hung from the wall over my typewriter (yes, a manual).  I got annoyed by having to slam out a page, then rip out the sheet and install and align a new sheet of paper.  So I devised this method, which worked out very well.

And I used to do my editing of the long scroll resulting from the force and fervor of my writing passion ("No, wait, this section should go here, not there.") by literally cutting out the section with scissors and  "pasting" (actually, Scotch-taping) the section in where it belonged.

Literally "cutting"  and "pasting."  I found that editing worked better when I could see the whole piece at once, almost instantaneously by laying it out on the floor and reviewing it that way, on my hands and knees.

So one day I finished up a longish 15 page or so final paper, re-typed it on normal 8 1/2 X 11 Bond, and dropped it in the professor's inbox outside his office.  A real "inbox," mind you.  All nice and neat and proper.

A couple of days later we ran into each other and he wanted to know when I was going to submit it and I told him I had already, I had dropped it in his inbox.  Well, this and that, apparently it got lost or stolen or something, and he asked if I had a draft of it to prove I'd done the work.

If he could see the draft, he'd give me an incomplete grade and an opportunity to re-type and re-submit it.

So the next day I showed up at his office and said, "You said you wanted to see the draft of that paper?"

"Yes, I've been waiting to see it."

So I grabbed the end of the scroll in my hand and swung it out so it rolled out across the floor of his office.

He was shocked and highly amused.  "That's the draft?"  He laughed out loud.  He glanced over it to verify that I'd actually done the work, and I re-rolled it up.

Happy ending.  I got the opportunity to re-type and re-submit it, got my grade changed from incomplete to a B a week later, and he later said he always got chuckles from the rest of the faculty when he told the story.

All true, I swear to G-d.  No screwing around.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 01:09:32 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2010, 01:38:52 PM »
Brad, regarding that neighbor kid of yours, would you expect just anyone who drives to understand how a car engine works?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2010, 02:31:29 PM »
Brad, regarding that neighbor kid of yours, would you expect just anyone who drives to understand how a car engine works?

Not at all.  I was using it as an example of how people have become so used the to conveniences we all enjoy that we, as a society, had forgotten that sometimes those conveniences fail or are not obtainable.  In those cases a little knowledge of some basics goes a long way to repairing or replacing said conveniences.

In fact I'll take it a step further.  Remember the sticky-gas-pedal Toyota problem?  A policeman and his family were killed when the accelerator pedal stuck under a floor mat and the car accelerated out of control.  Had he a basic knowledge of vehicle mechanics he'd have been able to safely coast the car to a stop by simply slipping the transmission into neutral or turning off the key.  Instead he calls 911 and expects someone else to fix the problem for him, all while the car was careening towards a tragic end.  An extreme example of lethal ignorance, yes, but a perfect example nonetheless.

I think I'm going to start calling it the OnStar Effect.  Don't bother making sure you have your keys before you lock your car with your infant inside because a phone call to OnStar will fix it.  Problem with your computer?  Call an 800 number and someone in New Delhi will log onto your account and reset the system.  Don't worry about backing up your computer because somone 500 miles away is supposedly doing it for you.  People have become so dumbed down by the convenience of modern times they don't have even the simplest of coping skills when life throws them a curve ball.

Sorry if I sound so unsympathetic but that's how I see it.  I try very hard to stay informed so I can avoid some of the teeth when life invariably tries to bite me in the ass.  As a result I don't have a lot of sympathy for the jump-around-and-scream-for-someone-to-do-something types.  They have the same information available to them that I do.  If they choose not to use it that's their problem.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:46:48 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2010, 03:03:10 PM »
26, and really not tech savvy. i am a competent user of technology. beyond that... well.. beats me.

my dad is one of those honest to goodness tech neandrathals. he's kinda proud of this. he's 57 and he can use a cell phone to make calls, he can use a DVD player, turn on a tv and use the remote to change channels, and he can use the microwave. barely. he can only do the most basic tasks, confidently, on his own, after severel hours of me going over and over and over what he has to do and if anything doesn't work right, either i have to fix it and go over it again or he just won't use it.

part of it is that he really is uncomfortable with too much tech. for some reason in his head, computers are still those room size machines that only really specially trained people can use. he also doesn't trust it (yes, weird but true) mostly because he can't really seem to understand HOW it works.

a BIG part of it is just because he's stubborn. he knows if he stalls long enough or just bugs me enough, i'll do it for him. he also has figured out that, when i MAKE him try, if he acts like its pulling teeth, i'll get frustrated with him and just do it for him. i know the man is smart enough to figure most this stuff out. i'm not saying he'd be in the same league as some of the same guys his age around here, but he could figure out how to get on things like facebook or look up websites or even post on a forum like this (which i tried to get him to get interested in enough to do, but no luck) if i could just get him suck it up and learn with a battle of wills.
i think this is a major problem with a lot of the tech neadrathals out there. its not that they are stupid, nor is it that they can't learn it. its just if they are even remotly made uncomfortable by technology then they put on the brakes and refuse to try it.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2010, 03:17:31 PM »
ok, i don't know why this happens, but a lot of times when i post the scrolling in the text boxs screws up and i can't see what i'm typing.

anyway. my mom is the same age as my dad. well, plus a few months, but close enough. she can use computers and such just fine. in fact, she's a forum junky too. cronicles of the horse. now, she does have to make an effort to learn things that i just sit down and do, but she has no fear of any of it, and just sits down and learns what she wants to learn.

i think one thing people my age have that gives us a somewhat scewed vision of whats happening with folks older and technology is we are USED to, not just having all this modern technology, but relearning how to do things every few years. i started using computers playing organ trail on the old apples, and by 5th grade was playing on widows 95, my first home computer was windows 98 when i was 13 and i was using macs with OS 9 at school everyday, and my first personal computer was a ibook with OS X. thats two kinds of computers and 5 OS's with multiple versions on top of that before i turned 20. those of us under 30 grew up, not just with a computer in the classroom, but practically a new one each year! its not really suprising that we tend to just pick up stuff, play with it for a few minutes and voila! we got the basics. we've been trained to do that from a very early age.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2010, 05:31:37 PM »
I was just thinking today, that the now infamous conversation I had with my mama, about editing, was related to the dedicated, stand-alone word processor they bought me.  No set-up process, really, except to change the ink/toner in the built-in printer. No viruses or de-fragmenting or upgrading. It was just a word processor with a screen about five rows high, that let you create/edit an entire digital document, then print it out, or save it to a 3.5" floppy.

i started using computers playing organ trail on the old apples,

I was gonna say, "Me too," but I think we were playing Oregon Trail.  Your version sounds way more bloodier and exciting.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2010, 06:01:40 PM »
Dunno what it's worth but I am 53 and a Sr. Computer Programmer/Analyst with A+ hardware certification, Novell, SCO UNIX and Windows Network admin jobs under my belt, am handy with a soldering iron and an ohm/amp/volt meter and was a Certified Master Mechanic who designed and built racing chassis and suspensions as well as raced Dirt Modifieds, SCCA, 250 and Open class Enduros finishing in the top 10 in National level races before I became a computer geek. Does that count?  =D
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2010, 06:05:13 PM »
Dunno what it's worth but I am 53 and a Sr. Computer Programmer/Analyst with A+ hardware certification, Novell, SCO UNIX and Windows Network admin jobs under my belt, am handy with a soldering iron and an ohm/amp/volt meter and was a Certified Master Mechanic who designed and built racing chassis and suspensions as well as raced Dirt Modifieds, SCCA, 250 and Open class Enduros finishing in the top 10 in National level races before I became a computer geek. Does that count?  =D

No.  You sir, are clearly a moron.  Back off, I have an iphone!  :P :P :P

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2010, 06:13:42 PM »
All I have is a Casio Exilim 5.1 megapixel camera-phone. If I wanna surf the web I'll log in on one of my laptops, workstations or the server here at the house and do it right!

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2010, 06:17:14 PM »
Let me know if you need any parts for that old Dell PC. I just found three of them with defunct motherboards.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2010, 09:35:15 PM »
The flip side of what Brad Johnson said:  Older people lived in a time where service existed...not self service.  If the phone quit working, you borrowed the neighbors phone and called the phone company -they came out and fixed the problem, rather than losing income from an unhappy customer who would pro-rate their own bill.  Same thing for most anything.  Hell, now days you have to be technically proficient at just about everything to to use it, because everything requires self service, unless you call spending 5 hours on the phone listening to phone message loops and end up talking to "Peggy" in Farkedupistan, service.  That's why Home Depot and Lowes does so well.  I'm thinking about taking surgery lessons online, so I can say to hell with the medical community as well. 
On the other hand, I'm thinking about joining the madness and having a website built that will loop into my work email and voice mail.  One system will lead you to a FAQ section...and then they will loop endlessly to each other.  I figure I could go fishing or shooting every day instead, and it could work until I hit retirement.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2010, 09:51:56 PM »

On the other hand, I'm thinking about joining the madness and having a website built that will loop into my work email and voice mail.  One system will lead you to a FAQ section...and then they will loop endlessly to each other.  I figure I could go fishing or shooting every day instead, and it could work until I hit retirement.

If you've patented that system, what's the price? If you haven't, we need to! :laugh:

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2010, 10:32:22 PM »
I'm 60+, been in the IT business for over 32 years and work as a support engineer for the largest supplier of networking equipment.  I have several current certifications and I am studying for the lab part of the highest level certification in my corner of the industry, so yeah, I keep up.  I also have a watch that needs winding occasionally, I write with a fountain pen and I have no use for social networking.  We have a Wii here at home that sees occasional use but there isn't enough time left in my life to get into gaming like some of the kids at work.  I like being outdoors too much.

Russ

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2010, 11:06:13 PM »
An IT guy who's not into gaming?....  :O

No wonder all our tech jobs are going to India.....  :facepalm:

=D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2010, 11:52:19 PM »
An IT guy who's not into gaming?....  :O

=D

AND unto being outdoors ??? ... Egads, Odds Bodkins, and all that other foofy sounding exclamatory nonsense.  :O

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2010, 12:01:35 AM »
Quote from: Fistful
Let me know if you need any parts for that old Dell PC. I just found three of them with defunct motherboards.
Thanks but that has been replaced with a smaller but much more powerful unit.
Quote from: seeker_two
An IT guy who's not into gaming?....
I fit that as well. I quit at Space Quest III and never could play Descent or those games as I got motion sick after 1 level!
MOLON LABE!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2010, 12:03:57 AM »
Leisure Suit Larry (on 5.25" floppy, no less) forever!!

Brad
-HankB

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2010, 12:10:11 AM »
OK, I will admit to playing LSL up till the one where he went to Hawaii I believe? Some tropical place anyway as I recall...
MOLON LABE!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2010, 12:15:40 AM »
i quit playing back when you put quarters in em  galaga   my neighbors got a bunch of old games like that in his play room.  and i can smoke every kid in the hood on galaga.  the ones i beat bring me new victims so they can watch the carnage.  i should play em for money.... or make em download music for me
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2010, 01:02:46 AM »
Thanks but that has been replaced with a smaller but much more powerful unit.

Sweet!  So you can send me a moboard!  :lol:

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2010, 01:37:08 AM »
I WOULD if I still had any of them (I had 3 of those servers). Cleaned house when we left VA and moved back home at the 1st of the year I am afraid. GAVE away TONS of good computer stuff. Still have a lot too. Like a case of NEW in the wrapper Seagate 40 gig drives. :D

800gig raid anyone? LOL
MOLON LABE!

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2010, 03:30:04 AM »
What are those?  SAS?  SATA?  u160/u320 parallel scsi?  PATA?
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

taurusowner

« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2010, 03:36:11 AM »
Those aren't hard drives.  They're packages of punch cards.