Author Topic: Global wrming Alert. Cold 1,000 year winter on its way.  (Read 10825 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Global wrming Alert. Cold 1,000 year winter on its way.
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2010, 01:26:08 PM »
I hope we get a hardcore cold winter to kill off the pine beetles!

Yep let the new and young growth get established. You do know that the life span of Lodgepole pine is about 100-120 years? 100 years ago all the Lodgepole was harvested for mining timbers and railroad ties in your part of Montana. Beetles went to town on the old trees.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Iain

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2010, 05:42:11 AM »
So no interest in the US temperature record for September then?

We've had threads about cold in Argentina, but nothing about the heat in Russia. Now we've got a thread about a predicted cold winter, but nothing about the hottest US September on record (during a solar minimum as pointed out earlier).

None of these things mean anything in the wider climate particularly, but then I'm not the one starting the threads.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2010, 06:43:27 AM »
I'll post my predictions for Winter 2010-2011 in early April (2011). I do this every year. I have never been wrong.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2010, 08:02:46 AM »

We've had threads about cold in Argentina, but nothing about the heat in Russia. Now we've got a thread about a predicted cold winter, but nothing about the hottest US September on record (during a solar minimum as pointed out earlier).

None of these things mean anything in the wider climate particularly, but then I'm not the one starting the threads.

What part of the US?  Here in DFW we went from colder than normal winter, skipped spring, to hotter than normal summer to colder than normal autumn.  There's a Monty Python joke in there.

Luckily the AGW-mongers and their kool-aid drinkers are on the decline, influence-wise.  That sometimes happens when folks see the baloney behind hte facade.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2010, 04:09:32 PM »
seems to me the seasons(start and end) are off about a month. =|

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2010, 04:37:58 PM »
One thing about Montana weather is that it is always different.

Last year about this time we had eighteen inches of snow and below zero temperatures.  It's about 80 degrees today.  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2010, 07:23:05 PM »
According to that map, Florida will have normal snowfall.

Denver will have more than normal snowfall.  But Denver always has either more or less than normal snowfall. Is there a fall equivalent to Punxsutawney Phil, a groundhog who, if he sees his shadow, there'll be six more weeks of summer?

Some enterprising little burg ought to start that tradition.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:31:02 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2010, 08:44:14 PM »
According to that map, Florida will have normal snowfall.

It snows in Florida?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2010, 08:48:08 PM »
It snows in Florida?

Yup.  By the kilo.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2010, 08:55:51 PM »

I think your taking this all too serious. Everybody is just joking around, and doesn't want to begin another global warming/cooling debate. That subject has just gotten too tedious for now.

=D

why so serious?
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2010, 09:08:28 PM »

I'll play your silly game:   "That's Weather, not Climate."   :P :P :P :P
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2010, 05:19:05 AM »
I'm being no more serious than others. Just pointing out that I find it slightly tedious that Matt's environmental correspondent pops along with one of his stories, this time predicting cold weather just as we're definitely coming off the back of the warmest September weather on the satellite record (going back to 1979). Also a warm rest of the year could push 2010 to the warmest year on record, it looks like it might podium place anyway.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 05:30:38 AM by Iain »
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2010, 05:36:50 AM »
Hmmm.....1,000 years of highs in the 70's and lows in the 50's (IOW, a Texas winter).....yep, I'll go for that....

!!! YEA, GLOBAL WARMING !!!
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2010, 10:29:40 AM »
More winters of discontent.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2010, 11:51:19 AM »
Apparently thanks the strong La Nina building out in the Pacific, us here in the PNW are supposedly going to get a lot more precipitation and it's supposed to get a lot colder this winter.  Given how bad the snow was the last (albiet weaker) La Nina I'm not looking forward to this winter.
Formerly sumpnz

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2010, 11:53:59 AM »
Oh, and Iain, I don't trust any of the temperature records being put out by GISS and the MET and whatnot.  After having them scream several times about the area I live in suffering the HOTTEST MONTH/SEASON/YEAR EVAR, when I know darn well that it wasn't that hot (in some cases 10degF cooler), I have no faith whatsoever in their records.
Formerly sumpnz

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2010, 01:29:40 PM »
Oh, and Iain, I don't trust any of the temperature records being put out by GISS and the MET and whatnot.  After having them scream several times about the area I live in suffering the HOTTEST MONTH/SEASON/YEAR EVAR, when I know darn well that it wasn't that hot (in some cases 10degF cooler), I have no faith whatsoever in their records.

Add in the fact that there is more evidence for the existence of the Tooth Fairy than Global Warming......
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2010, 01:42:53 PM »
Apparently thanks the strong La Nina building out in the Pacific, us here in the PNW are supposedly going to get a lot more precipitation and it's supposed to get a lot colder this winter.  Given how bad the snow was the last (albiet weaker) La Nina I'm not looking forward to this winter.

How can you get "a lot more precipitation" than ALL OF IT?

Portland has something like 200+ days a year of rain.

Seattle has another 60-80+ on top of whatever Portland gets.

I don't buy this "La Nina and El Nino" baloney.  It happens every year.  It gets token lip service from the weatherman on the nooz as if it were an event that DIDN'T happen every freaking day.  It's a weather pattern that meteorologists have only discovered in the last few years and they're still patting each other on the back, so they need to remind us peons that they now see it.

I don't care about it.  It's a standard phenomenon, not something to report on.  Discovery of it doesn't mean that weather patterns have changed.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2010, 02:08:31 PM »
In the LA area they had the hotest record since they have kept temp records, 113 degrees F, and then they went to 15 to 25 degrees below normal.  So which was it,  record heat or record cold?  How about both, one after the other.  Which prevailed, record cold or record heat?  The 113 degrees was maybe 5 degrees above normal, but the cold was 15 to 25 degrees below normal, which to me it was a cooling trend.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2010, 02:21:25 PM »
The El Nino, the storm that all other tropical storms must bow before?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEoHz56jWGY  =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2010, 10:31:32 PM »
I don't buy this "La Nina and El Nino" baloney.  It happens every year.  It gets token lip service from the weatherman on the nooz as if it were an event that DIDN'T happen every freaking day.  It's a weather pattern that meteorologists have only discovered in the last few years and they're still patting each other on the back, so they need to remind us peons that they now see it.

El Nino/La Nina is a real, and pretty non-controversial weather pattern.  It's something flips every so often, usually not more than once per year.  It's a pattern of warming or cooling tropical Pacific surface temperatures.  El Nino tends to produce warmer and drier weather in the PNW, and La Nina tends to produce cooler and wetter weather.

Other places it does different things.  E.g. La Nina encourages stronger Atlantic hurracaines because it reduces the upper altitude wind shear over the tropical Atlantic that would otherwise tear cyclones apart.  El Nino does the opposite.  There's been quite a few Cat 3+ 'caines this year.  They've just all been "fish storms" so they haven't been as noticed.

Yeah, we get a lot of rain, but not like some places.  Here it's mostly cloudy with some drizel that doesn't really amount that much total rainfall.  The Haast Pass region of the west coast of the South Island of New Zealand can get 600" per year.  Friends were driving through there and got 12" in 12 hours. 
Formerly sumpnz

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2010, 09:48:15 PM »
Sounds like the plot from Fallen Angels.

http://www.webscription.net/10.1125/Baen/067172052X/067172052X___1.htm

I have that book (somewhere) and have thought often of it when I hear all this "green" BS.

Did you just say "Winter of discount tent? =D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 10:54:30 PM by Sergeant Bob »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2010, 10:50:41 PM »

Thanks for reminding me. I need to read that book again.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife