Author Topic: i am not a nice man  (Read 7201 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
i am not a nice man
« on: October 06, 2010, 06:54:48 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-479146/Brutality-justice-The-truth-tarred-feathered-drug-dealer.html

i chuckled over this
i think i could sign off on it in my hood
tar and feathers might work
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
Re: i am not a nice man
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 07:16:35 PM »
I have no problem with what was done.  I don't think you are not a nice man, you just like to see justice.  Something we are sorely missing now a days.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 07:21:10 PM »
i say not nice since i would do more than watch.  i've got a tar kettle
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 08:08:51 PM »
ye reap as ye sow, begorrah.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 08:10:57 PM »
you?  we elected you chairman while you were fixin lunch.  :angel:

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 08:44:10 PM »
Yip, eventually the hamstrung police will look the other way while the citizens create justice.

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 08:47:56 PM »
I learned something today: the relatively low boiling point of tar at 140 degrees F (60 degrees C).  I always thought that boiling tar would cause severe burns to the recipient.  

I once heard a lecture at the UW Medical School from a famous orthopedic surgeon in Belfast.  He was lecturing on knee trauma from kneecapping.  For a while, Belfast had some of the best knee trauma surgeons in the world; and orthopedists from all over the world came there for training.  Much like the US military has trauma surgeons do fellowships at GW and other hospitals in Washington, DC: they get heavy exposure to treating gunshot wounds there.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 08:55:15 PM »
Being a more genteel vigilante I would opt to use the liquid roofing tar, goes on at room temp so no potential for burns.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 08:59:53 PM »
^^^ I tell you: I learn so much here at APS!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 09:24:38 PM »
Hmmm . . . tar . . . feathers . . . add some congresscritters, and you've got a GREAT combination.  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 09:37:29 PM »
don't forget the rail.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 09:54:39 PM »
I think modern spray adhesives and a reversed leafblower are FTW.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 10:10:28 PM »
Hmmm . . . tar . . . feathers . . . add some congresscritters, and you've got a GREAT combination.  >:D
Only if you set the tar on fire.

You should read about the Philippine Insurrection. Spanish-speaking peoples are second to none in the torture department. The Uzbeks and others are crude imitators. This is one reason why I'll never marry a Hispanic woman. Or man, for that matter.

I like the idea of a city where the criminals live in fear of the people.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 10:11:50 PM »
Is it bad that I was sad that they didn't shove those 4 or 5 bags of crack down his throat first?  >:D

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 10:41:10 PM »
I like the idea of a city where the criminals live in fear of the people.

Hat's off for that.

Is it bad that I was sad that they didn't shove those 4 or 5 bags of crack down his throat first?  >:D

I assume you're half-joking but, to be perfectly honest, I'd say the citizens practiced admirable restraint.
I guess that's the difference between the poor victimized drug dealer and the men(real men, if I may) who *only* made him look like a chicken.  Sure, they could've given him a miserable death, but instead they decided to use a rather humorous, non-permanent form of punishment.
Did anybody else notice that the writer gives the drug-dealing parasite the benefit of the doubt("alleged"), while not bothering to extend the same courtesy to the people who gave him far less than he deserved?  I mean, seriously... the guy is reported to be carrying jail-time amounts of cocaine and he's an alleged drug dealer - but the mob... no witnesses have come forth to identify the mob.  Seems like there isn't a preponderance of evidence to support an investigation into this "incident" >:D

So what does our "legalize it" crowd think of this one?

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 10:47:25 PM »
you know the aztec's method worked better. >:D

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 10:55:24 PM »
no witnesses have come forth to identify the mob.

Reminds me of Ken Rex McElroy.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 11:04:17 PM »
I was amused by the Brit author's mention of the practice in 18th century America.

In America, this technique was used in the 18th century, when the criminal was covered in tar and feathers before being paraded through the town on the back of a horse-drawn cart. According to records from the time, the "aim was to hurt and humiliate a person enough to leave town and cause no more mischief".

Yeah, criminals were the ones who got tarred and feathered here.  Had nothing to do with uppity Brit tax collectors thinking they deserved our money more than we did.

:lol:

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 11:49:20 PM »
If gov't doesn't hold up its end of the bargain, the governed will have to fill the breach.

I like the idea of criminals fearing to walk the streets. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 12:15:21 AM »
So what does our "legalize it" crowd think of this one?

A lot of people who deal in drugs also use a variety of violent techniques and are downright murderous.

I would talk more about my family's experience with both the kind of people who merely distribute cocaine and heroin and the scumbags who cut it with poison or injure others.

In general, though, I am opposed to this kind of conduct.

In the former case, I would defend the citizen in question. I am not a massive tower of combat efficiency, nor am I armed, but there you go.

In the latter case... I lost a family member to an idiot like that.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 09:11:14 AM »
This is the "feel good" story of the day.   =D

. . . I'd say the citizens practiced admirable restraint.
Amen!
I was amused by the Brit author's mention of the practice in 18th century America.
In America, this technique was used in the 18th century, when the criminal was covered in tar and feathers before being paraded through the town on the back of a horse-drawn cart. According to records from the time, the "aim was to hurt and humiliate a person enough to leave town and cause no more mischief".
Yeah, criminals were the ones who got tarred and feathered here.  Had nothing to do with uppity Brit tax collectors thinking they deserved our money more than we did.

:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFWZ925zK0A&feature=related

I wouldn't mind seeing this remedy applied to some politicians . . .  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 09:36:20 AM »
I say we legalize drugs so they're behind the counter where kids can't get them (as easily), and that would save tar and feathers for child molesters.

=)
I promise not to duck.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 11:08:44 AM »
Disappointing, to say the least.

The question is, at what price? Vigilante justice betrays all the values that were supposedly being defended in the long fight against terrorism. We tolerate it at our peril.

This follows the paragraph in which the author relates that in Belfast, honest folks can walk the streets at night and criminals are afraid to do so. And for some twisted reason, the author seems to have a problem with that.

This is where formerly-Great Britain has arrived ... making apologies for the fact that criminals are afraid of honest people.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 11:13:54 AM »
I say we legalize drugs so they're behind the counter where kids can't get them (as easily), and that would save tar and feathers for child molesters.

=)
Notice that the people were tolerant of marijuana, but it was the hard drugs they were upset about. 

As said above, the govt fails in its duties, I think it is the duty and right of honest citizens to take action.  They should first take action in the ballot box though. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 12:02:22 PM »
Notice that the people were tolerant of marijuana, but it was the hard drugs they were upset about. 

I am not sure why you think that matters.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner