Author Topic: local potential congress critter  (Read 10497 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: local potential congress critter
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 07:00:24 PM »
Incumbent contradicts himself. Supports broadband grants for rural areas, etc, but wants to "reign in government spending."

I suppose these broadband grants fall outta trees, yeah?

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2010, 06:33:53 PM »
I thought most folks on this board were at least a little bit hard to fool, but Krystal Ball has pulled one over on some of us, without half trying. Yes, her verbiage in support of the 2nd Amendment sounds good, but it doesn't commit her to anything at all. The incumbent has an A rating from the NRA, and like any pro-gun incumbent, he has the NRA-PVF endorsement. Wittman proposes tax cuts for small businesses, not just "the middle class." On the other issues brought up so far, Ball and Wittman sound about the same, at least to me. (See below.) So what is the advantage of voting for a not-so-far-left Democrat over a not-so-far-right Republican? This is not a year when Americans can afford to allow Democrats to take Republican seats, no matter how fun they might be at parties.

Also note on her issues page, she's not mentioning cap and tax, health care, nor the environment.

From her Economy page
Provide a 50% cut in pay roll taxes for the first two years a small business starts up to make sure we have a system that encourages investment in our local economy.

cutting middle class taxes
The middle class tax cuts are set to expire this year, raising taxes on our families. In these tough economic times we must keep the tax burden off of middle class families, so they can continue to feed their children and pay their mortgages. I will fight to keep these tax cuts for middle class families.

Wittman's page.
http://www.robwittmanforcongress.com/on-the-issues.htm
Cutting Taxes

I am deeply concerned about the current economic situation, and every day I talk to folks who are looking for work and trying to make ends meet. I believe the best thing Congress can do to spur job growth and help alleviate this economic downturn is to cut taxes for families and small businesses and pursue growth-oriented incentives that encourage economic activity and job creation.

Supporting Small Businesses

Small businesses are the backbone of our economy and create over 70% of the new jobs in this country every year. In Congress, I am a cosponsor of legislation that would place a 2-year moratorium on capital gains and dividends taxes, cut the payroll tax rate and the self-employed tax rate in half for two years, and reduce the lowest income brackets by 5% each. We also need to cut the bureaucratic red-tape that stifles small businesses and innovation.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

toysoldier

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 06:52:49 PM »
From her Economy page
Provide a 50% cut in pay roll taxes for the first two years a small business starts up to make sure we have a system that encourages investment in our local economy.

So, two years after you start a business, your payroll taxes will jump 50%. What if your business hasn't grown?  yeah, brilliant. 

Similar incentives have been tried in other countries. The net result is that many businesses reorganize into new companies, or move out of the country, when their tax cut expires. In essence, it is a permanent tax cut  for the unscrupulous.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 07:26:32 PM »
BTW, I had a hard time determining if she was a Republican or Democrat

Oh, come on, even a typical voter could work that one out: "I am a 28-year-old wife, mother, Certified Public Accountant and small business owner, and the Democratic Nominee for US Congress in the 1st district of Virginia."

Her "issues" page is just about spot on with my beliefs (her 2nd Amendment statement: I am an NRA member and pledge to be a fierce advocate of an individual's right to bear arms.).

How many gun grabbers have used the same wording, only to clarify after the election that they meant only "arms" they approve of, for only certain individuals? 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 07:30:19 PM by KD5NRH »

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 07:33:53 PM »
Oh, come on, even a typical voter could work that one out: "I am a 28-year-old wife, mother, Certified Public Accountant and small business owner, and the Democratic Nominee for US Congress in the 1st district of Virginia,"
But what if she said she had a MASTER'S DEGREE IN COMMUNICATION?

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2010, 07:44:16 PM »
...and I'm sure no one here has any embarrassing pics of themselves at adult-only parties....  ;/

You won't find any of me.

This stuff isn't that hard...

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2010, 01:40:06 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2010, 01:52:07 PM »
You won't find any of me.

This stuff isn't that hard...

And has nothing to do with your competence as a public servant.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2010, 01:56:37 PM »
except that ones credibility/judgement can be called into question
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2010, 02:43:50 PM »
And has nothing to do with your competence as a public servant.

And has everything to do with helping her lose the election, because people want leaders they can respect. Not that we ever respect them, but for some reason we want them to be respectable.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2010, 03:14:30 PM »

Question to you: Were this the picture of a Republican candidate, would you switch over to the Democrat?

People who vote based on such things deserve the candidates they get.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2010, 03:19:21 PM »
she has tried to present herself as representing a certain position and image.  her lack of veracity is certainly of interest
shes borked in my hood anyway   and i live towards the liberal (closer to northern virginia ) end of the district

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2010, 03:21:02 PM »
Obviously she's not a good candidate for office for a variety of reasons.

But as I mentioned naughty-pictures of a candidate in and of themselves should not ((but nonetheless will) disqualify them for office if they're better on the issues.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2010, 03:39:26 PM »
But as I mentioned naughty-pictures of a candidate in and of themselves should not ((but nonetheless will) disqualify them for office if they're better on the issues.

Yes, it will (potentially) disqualify them, because voting has never been about a simple comparison of platform positions. Character is important in a candidate for its own sake, and because the platform is worse than useless if the candidate lacks the integrity to stand by it. Now you may not think that being naughty in public has any connection to a person's overall character, but some people think otherwise.

To ask what I, personally, would do if a Republican candidate was in this position is to miss the point. It's not about me; it's about what her constituents are likely to think. I'm just sayin, is all.

Actually, you could just ask me about Scott Brown, who had some embarrassing photos come to light last year. I reserve the right to think less of him for being a mimbo, but I would have likely voted for him. Then again, I think Democratic politicians are basically *Godwin deleted*, so it's more of a vote against them.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 03:44:15 PM by Fistful »

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2010, 03:50:59 PM »

The fact that she's a politician does that anyway....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2010, 08:23:36 PM »
Once again, the D's have dragged out something that the (R) candidate did while they were in screwl (in this case college, in the other case High Screwl). Holy Flaming Buddha on Pogo stick, did no one here not do anything they might be the least bit ashamed of in their youth ??

I basically give everyone a pass for what they did in high screwl and college (except for criminal/felony type things), as long as no one got hurt.    OHHHH, she and her husband went to an adult party and did goofy things for a camera with LEGAL but adult items, OOOOHHHH.

BIG. FARKING. DEAL.

No laws were broken.  Who Farking Cares.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2010, 11:52:50 PM »
You realize that Krystal Ball is a Democrat, right?  =|

OHHHH, she and her husband went to an adult party and did goofy things for a camera with LEGAL but adult items, OOOOHHHH.

BIG. FARKING. DEAL.

No laws were broken.  Who Farking Cares.

Well, one of is just way out of touch. Who does crap like that when they're hanging out with their friends? Who would even want to do that in private? If you want to do that, go right ahead, but some people will just have less respect for you. That's life.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2010, 12:31:36 AM »
kind of makes you wonder why the great one's schoolin' was off limits. [tinfoil]