Author Topic: WI: man to open gun store..across from a school!  (Read 4357 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
WI: man to open gun store..across from a school!
« on: October 14, 2010, 11:23:22 PM »
Oh, My Lord, there's going to be a gun store opening in a Milwaukee suburb, and it will be across the street from a school. The carnage! Daily shootouts. Kids buying guns and putting them in their lunch boxes. Where will it end?

I love this quote:

West Allis Police Chief Michael Jungbluth said he wished that Govas had chosen a better location for the shop. And he said that police will be making sure Govas "runs a tight ship."

"If they don't run a good business, I know that I'll be heavily involved," Jungbluth said. "There's not a lot of margin of error here on the business owner's part."

I'll bet he's going to be "heavily involved". Milwaukee once had over two dozen gun stores in the county, and now there are just two. The powers that be ran the others out of business. And now this guy has the nerve to try to open a new one.

Rest of the story here

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: WI: man to open gun store..across from a school!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 11:33:50 PM »
And they just cleaned up the blood in the streets from the AWB sunset six years ago.  =(
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 11:49:54 PM »
LOL...

I was just working setting pins and running the stopwatches at the bowling pin shoot with "Shorty" over at Schultz last weekend. A very good salt of the earth guy, he's a club officer, and I've done a few work-hour projects with him.

Although I guess the City of West Allis is right to worry about all the random careless gun play at other establishments in the city that sell guns, such as The Shooter's Shop, and Dunham's sporting goods.

Oh, wait...  :laugh:

Hopefully what Fendry says about all the state preemption laws meaning the city can just go FOAD is true. I need a new FFL, my kitchen table guy is giving up his license at the end of the year. (He was a SOT too, and did NFA stuff :( ) And no way in hell I'm paying Shooter's $100 a gun, or going to those bottom-feeders over at Badger Guns.
I promise not to duck.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 11:51:15 PM »
For a few years here in Oklahoma City (well, okay, it was Del City, but that's another name for Southeast Central Oklahoma City) there was a military surplus shop that had an FFL located right across the street from Del City High School.  Shop's still there, but no longer an FFL.  While they were, though, local LE, military, and everyone else frequented the store daily.  

It was probably one of the best gun shops I've ever worked in--especially once when a few things seemed odd about the clientele, and within fifteen seconds the lady behind the register told the two deputies, four airmen, and three Marines in the store to keep an eye out, passed me a 4" 1911, and shut the safe door with her toe.  Turned out to be nothing, but still...  =D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 12:02:44 AM »
West Allis Police Chief Michael Jungbluth said he wished that Govas had chosen a better location for the shop. And he said that police will be making sure Govas "runs a tight ship."

"If they don't run a good business, I know that I'll be heavily involved," Jungbluth said. "There's not a lot of margin of error here on the business owner's part."

Is he a police chief or a mafia boss?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 12:06:07 AM »
To a degree, I think he and others in the city .gov know there's nothing much they're going to do about it, so they're all just making the appropriate hand-wringing noises to satisfy the bliss-ninnys.
I promise not to duck.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 12:16:12 AM »
Isn't it the responsibility of the BATFE to make sure he runs a tight ship?  Isn't this out of the PD jurisdiction?  Are all Wisconsin police chiefs big mouth bullies?  First Madison, now Milwaukee.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 12:41:05 AM »
Isn't it the responsibility of the BATFE to make sure he runs a tight ship?  Isn't this out of the PD jurisdiction?  Are all Wisconsin police chiefs big mouth bullies?  First Madison, now Milwaukee.

When in 2005 it looked possible that our CCW bill would pass, the chief of police of a medium-sized city in WI said that he would order his officers to draw down on anyone found to be carrying if the bill passed.

Sheriffs and police chiefs can get away with quite a bit. For quite a long time, the Milwaukee county sheriff had deputies in high crime areas pull over anyone who looked suspicious, using the flimsiest of excuses (burned out license plate lamp, etc). They would ask the drivers for permission to search the cars. If a driver refused, the deputies radioed ahead to the next squad, whose deputies would pull over the same car again. If the driver refused, it happened yet again.

Nobody challenged this.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 12:34:42 AM »
Thousand foot rule?

First thing I thought of was how do his customers without carry licenses get the guns they buy out of the store....

Hmmmm....

The more I think about that, the less dumb the question sounds.

Maybe it's some trick of local law?  Zoning ordnances? 

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 01:55:51 AM »
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 07:07:55 AM »
Silly, he'll never be able to compete with the guys selling AK-47s and bazookas with gonkulators from the ice cream truck.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 11:25:02 AM »
Silly, he'll never be able to compete with the guys selling AK-47s and bazookas with gonkulators from the ice cream truck.

Since he's a friend of mine, we have a gentlemen's agreement I won't operate anywhere within one mile of his shop.  =)
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 12:38:43 PM »
Sell RPG's. There's not a lot of markup in them, so he likely won't sell them and thus you won't be a competitor.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 01:25:13 PM »
Sell RPG's. There's not a lot of markup in them, so he likely won't sell them and thus you won't be a competitor.

I would, but RevDisk has the exclusive blackmarket distribution rights in all of CONUS to those all sewn up I'm afraid...
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 01:40:20 PM »
I would, but RevDisk has the exclusive blackmarket distribution rights in all of CONUS to those all sewn up I'm afraid...

Damn, I thought he only had all the North America WMD rights.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 02:05:49 PM »
Oh, I wouldn't worry about Rev: he's so busy with this new "dating" thing, he ain't paying attention to business... >:D
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010, 02:10:56 PM »
Oh, I wouldn't worry about Rev: he's so busy with this new "dating" thing, he ain't paying attention to business... >:D

Yeah, but unless you have RevDisk's 09 Street-FFL number, and GPS coordinates of his car trunk, Davidson's Gallery of Guns and MANPAD's or Bud's RPG Shop, or the other distributors won't sell them to you.

I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010, 05:54:17 PM »

Milwaukee is a long ways for the Mexican Cartel folks to go and buy RPG's, though.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 07:38:52 PM »
Milwaukee is a long ways for the Mexican Cartel folks to go and buy RPG's, though.

That's what UPS is for. Don't you know that you can buy machine guns, grenades and rocket launchers on the internet? That's what Sarah Brady told me.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 07:43:35 PM »
Sarah Brady is a noted firearms authority.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 11:19:34 PM »
Sarah Brady is a noted firearms authority.

Yeah... I heard she has TWO "shoulder things that go up"...
I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2010, 01:34:21 PM »
Hey, hey, let's be fair.  It was Carolyn McCarthy (sp?) that made that egregiously ignorant remark about the "shoulder thing that goes up."

Not that I want to prolong her embarrasment  >:D since I'm a forgiving sort, but I think this is the video. (I'm not 100% sure.  I can't download videos from this machine.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospNRk2uM3U

Of course, you might be right that Ms. Brady has two of 'em.  Actually, I think most ladies do.

Anyhow, I wanted to reiterate my question about how do customers of that gun shop get around the 1000 foot rule when they're exiting the gun shop with a firearm.  ???

Is it maybe an LEO-only store or something?

« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 01:39:59 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 03:54:16 PM »
public street, 100foot bs no workie?

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 05:10:17 PM »
I thought the thousand foot rule was struck down by a federal court somewhere.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

erictank

• friends
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2010, 05:24:26 PM »
I thought the thousand foot rule was struck down by a federal court somewhere.

Original one was, but somehow it got reinstated via another bill (no, I don't know how), which is still in force IIRC.   [barf]

Yeah, the mere presence of firearms in the possession of peaceful, innocent, law-abiding, firearms-owning American citizens is so dangerous that children will be imperiled if they're within a fifth of a MILE, and those we DO need to worry about - those who would otherwise bring firearms onto a school campus for the purpose of assault, mayhem, and murder - will give a crap about the thousand-foot exclusion zone, too!   ;/

Yeah, that was sarcasm.