Author Topic: "Republican Voter Guide"  (Read 3552 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"Republican Voter Guide"
« on: October 16, 2010, 11:04:24 AM »
Just got around to looking at yesterday's mail. I got a "Republican voters guide". I generally don't refer to voters guides as I prefer to do online research on issues and candidates, but I do like to look at the different guides I get in the mail to see what groups are supporting the various props and candidates.

This guide encouraged me to vote pretty much the opposite of what a conservative would vote, and even went so far as to list anti-gun, statist Democrat Bill Lockyer for CA Treasurer (without listing his political affiliation). If you look at the (very) small print on the guide, it indicates it was paid for by the candidates represented. So good old honest Bill Lockyer is advertising himself on a "Republican" voting guide without listing his political affiliation.

I always wonder how many idiots too lazy to do their own research will take guides like this to the polls with them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: "Republican Voter Guide"
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 11:11:26 AM »
Just got around to looking at yesterday's mail. I got a "Republican voters guide". I generally don't refer to voters guides as I prefer to do online research on issues and candidates, but I do like to look at the different guides I get in the mail to see what groups are supporting the various props and candidates.

This guide encouraged me to vote pretty much the opposite of what a conservative would vote, and even went so far as to list anti-gun, statist Democrat Bill Lockyer for CA Treasurer (without listing his political affiliation). If you look at the (very) small print on the guide, it indicates it was paid for by the candidates represented. So good old honest Bill Lockyer is advertising himself on a "Republican" voting guide without listing his political affiliation.

I always wonder how many idiots too lazy to do their own research will take guides like this to the polls with them.

Plenty. Just like there are plenty of idiots who vote "straight party" in my state (you can do it with one touch of a button for everything except President and Gov, I think)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 11:21:41 AM »
Plenty. Just like there are plenty of idiots who vote "straight party" in my state (you can do it with one touch of a button for everything except President and Gov, I think)

I actually don't even mind the "straight party" people that much. Though they obviously aren't thinking for themselves, they're doing less damage than people who allow themselves to get snookered into voting for a candidate or proposition that they probably wouldn't vote for if they bothered to gather a few facts.

I especially feel that way with propositions. Candidates come and go, but these propositions stick around for decades to forever. I never vote propositions by party line. My general methodology with them is to immediately expect to vote "no" on all props. I then do research on each one and the research has to strongly convince me that a new law or regulation will be beneficial.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 12:29:46 PM »
Who sent it to you?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 12:44:29 PM »
I'm sure that whatever organization sent the mailer wasn't the Republican Party. Then again...

Being new down here, I only know a couple of candidates' records. I'm just going to pull the R lever. There's no way I'd vote for a Democrat these days, no matter how moderate or conservative he or she might claim to be.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 12:55:32 PM »
Who sent it to you?

"California Voters Guide"

They are registered with the CA Fair Political Practices Commission, but who the hell knows what that means?

http://www.fppc.ca.gov/

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 05:10:22 PM »
I actually don't even mind the "straight party" people that much. Though they obviously aren't thinking for themselves...

Not a well-thought-out position there, either.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 05:14:41 PM »
Straight party this time around is a pretty valid position. A Democrat can say he won't vote for (government health care, tax and cap, or insert other program here), but when the leaders say jump, all of the Democrats ask how high.

There are no independent Democrats, so voting straight Republican is a thought-out choice, unless you're prone to third-party.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 09:32:42 PM »
Straight party this time around is a pretty valid position.

Not necessarily. I'll be writing in either Milo Bloom or Steve Dallas for 25th district Assembly. Yes, it's that bad.

-Ziegelbauer has gone essentially unchallenged for years as a D. This year he changed his affiliation to I.  ;/
-Trask is the candidate for the D's.
-Wisniewski is on the ballot for the R's. The problem is that he's not an R, he's been a Union D for years, and he's on the ballot just to screw up Ziegelbauer (not that I actually like Ziegelbauer, but this is BS)

http://www.htrnews.com/article/20101014/MAN0101/10140593/Manitowoc-County-Republicans-endorse-independent-Bob-Ziegelbauer
http://www.wtaq.com/news/articles/2010/jul/25/manitowoc-co-gop-chair-wisniewski-candidacy-proble/
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100725/GPG0101/7250664/Wisconsin-Assembly-candidate-Andrew-Wisniewski-put-back-on-ballot

We have our choice of a D, a D masquerading as an I, and a D that shanghaied the R nomination. Got any suggestions?  (legal ones) :mad:
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 10:30:16 PM »
Got any suggestions?  (legal ones)

When faced with a "none of the above" choice, I've always found Bugs Bunny to be a good write-in candidate.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 11:00:19 AM »
Someone once suggested that for legislative office vote straight party, and for executive/other office vote for the best person.

The rationale being that which party controls the legislature pretty much dictates how things are run.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 07:14:20 PM »
i like to, vote for Richard Pryor. =D

may he rest in peace. =(

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 10:49:41 AM »
Reminds me of the "Chicago Voter's Guide" that we used to get in the city where I grew up. Nicely illustrated with pictures of the voting machine, carefully highlighted so you'd know exactly what to do to cast your ballot . . .

* Enter booth.
* Pull lever to close curtain.
* Push "Democratic Party" switch. (This was a "straight party" vote on the machine.)
* Pull lever back to open curtain. (This cast the ballot.)

If you were in the booth too long - suggesting you did NOT vote straight party - some of the judges would really give you the stink eye. (Good luck in getting that pothole in front of your house fixed.)

I really wish there were some viable alternatives, but I'll be voting straight GOP for the major offices . . . though in the past, I've cast a few "Libertarian" ballots when the incumbent - ANY incumbent - had no major party opposition.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 11:04:29 AM »
I heard rumors one one of the talk shows that in the North East several unions (SEIU in particular) have entered candidates under the "tea party" party affiliation.  Obviously in hopes of stealing the votes of the stupid away from the (R) and (I) candidates.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 11:05:25 AM »
i like to, vote for Richard Pryor. =D

may he rest in peace. =(
You are supposed to get dead people to vote, not vote for dead people.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 11:09:46 AM »
I've voted straight party once or twice.  When I go down the voting list and I can't find anyone but R's to vote for, why waste time?  It is not that there is "no thought" in it, it is just that it fits what I would do anyway were I to hit the button for every race.  At least down here, there aren't many R's that would drive me to vote 3rd party.

The problem I have with straight ticket and why I don't do it anymore is there are a lot of down ticket races that I have no clue who the people are so I normally just vote for the candidates or races I know and leave the other races alone.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 11:54:46 AM »
I don't know many of the candidates, but by voting straight Republican I'll be voting for Young Boozer for state treasurer and for Twinkle Cavanaugh for public service commissioner. ;)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 12:58:49 PM »
The problem I have with straight ticket and why I don't do it anymore is there are a lot of down ticket races that I have no clue who the people are so I normally just vote for the candidates or races I know and leave the other races alone.
Too true - most of the time, it's actually pretty hard to make an informed choice about someone like the "District 334 Justice of the Peace" or the "Place 5 Board of Education" races. I'll usually try to do a little research - see if the League of Women Voters (yeah, I know it's basically a leftie/Democrat group) sent them a survey and what they had to say in response, but when on candidate says "I support A and B" and the other guy says "Unlike my opponent, I support B and A" . . . how do you choose?  =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 12:51:27 AM »
>-Trask is the candidate for the D's.<

Actually got to talk to Trask for a bit after an ABATE meeting (he was trying to drum up support).

Although he was pushing the "I'm for more freedom" thing, he fell apart when I asked him about CCW: kept popping sound bites at me (I had lots of fun shooting them down)...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)