Author Topic: Charity Doesn't Solve Anything  (Read 4381 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Charity Doesn't Solve Anything
« on: October 17, 2010, 10:40:17 AM »
...According to the world's richest man. Obama should give him a call.

http://blogs.wsj.com/wealth/2010/10/15/worlds-richest-man-charity-doesnt-solve-anything/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Charity Doesn't Solve Anything
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 01:10:28 PM »
Oh, like THAT'S gonna happen!!! [tinfoil]

It should .... but it won't....
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 07:10:04 PM »
he's half right, charity doesn't help people that don't want helped.

the whole give a man a fish/teach a man to fish thing.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 10:32:24 PM »
Build a man a fire and he's warm for a night.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Seriously, I don't have a problem with giving someone a hand up.
I'm pretty well done with hand outs.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 12:31:46 AM »
Seriously, I don't have a problem with giving someone a hand up.
I'm pretty well done with hand outs.

Exactly.  IMO, though, he's overlooking some special cases of charity where it does what it should; properly designed scholarships, extra funding for foster care to provide kids with a proper environment that encourages learning and self-sufficiency, and occasionally grants to startup businesses.  All three put people on a path to providing for themselves.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 01:16:32 AM »
Vaccines, too..

Does public education itself count as a charity?  If so, we have charity to thank for the contributions of many productive scientists and businesspersons.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 04:11:33 AM »

Does public education itself count as a charity?  If so, we have charity to thank for the contributions of many productive scientists and businesspersons.

A story is told of a traveller bold
    Who, being in want of food,
Cut off and ate the tail of his hound,
Returned him the bone, and strangely found
    The brute had no gratitude!

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 04:22:31 AM »
I guess gifts from the government in the form of sweetheart contracts and monopolies don't count as charity, even though they aren't really payment for work. 

I love it when beneficiaries of the largest state welfare programs in the world go on record about hard work and developing business.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 10:42:47 AM »
I love it when beneficiaries of the largest state welfare programs in the world go on record about hard work and developing business.
You do have to ask sometimes what business some people are actually in.  Some people claim to be businessman and not politicians, then you realize they made their money on govt contracts so you have to wonder if they were actually a good businessman or just a good politician.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:02:21 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 05:15:20 PM »
Does public education itself count as a charity? 

No.

I guess gifts from the government in the form of sweetheart contracts and monopolies don't count as charity, even though they aren't really payment for work. 

No, they don't.

What the frog?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 07:20:09 PM »
Yeah, I guess charity and graft/corruption are not supposed to be the same thing.

Public schooling can be a form of govt handout or charity if the people using it aren't paying the taxes that fund it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 07:23:07 PM »
No, taxes and tax-subsidized services are not charity. Period. End of sentence. No really I mean it.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 07:28:46 PM »
It isn't charity if you are using someone else's money. That is called redistribution of wealth.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 09:14:24 PM »
It isn't charity if you are using someone else's money. That is called redistribution of wealth property.

We've got to stop calling it wealth. That connotes that only the wealthy are being preyed upon.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 12:51:41 AM »
No, taxes and tax-subsidized services are not charity. Period. End of sentence. No really I mean it.

Charity depends on the giving, not the taking.

If someone robs a bank, and then a year later gives cash to an orphanage, that's still charity...charity pertains to the gift, not the acquisition of money.

On reflection, it wouldn't be strictly charity that made Slim a billionaire, but he's certainly in no position to lecture the world on handouts versus hard work.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 01:54:04 AM »
Charity is an act of voluntary sacrifice.

Anything taken by the tax man is taken ultimately by gun point, using the State's monopoly of force as justification.  That is not charity.

The State has absolutely no right to ever call any of its actions, charitable.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 06:48:02 AM »
Charity depends on the giving, not the taking. If someone robs a bank, and then a year later gives cash to an orphanage, that's still charity...charity pertains to the gift, not the acquisition of money.

It is not about the source of the money. Government is not a charity organization.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 07:07:31 AM by Fistful »

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 11:21:33 AM »
Charity depends on the giving, not the taking.

If someone robs a bank, and then a year later gives cash to an orphanage, that's still charity...charity pertains to the gift, not the acquisition of money.

On reflection, it wouldn't be strictly charity that made Slim a billionaire, but he's certainly in no position to lecture the world on handouts versus hard work.

Actually the orphanage would be guilty of receiving stolen goods.
If you do not have the right to acquire the money you do not have the right to dispense it, no matter how "charitable" your intents are. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 12:37:59 PM »
Real "charity" is about empowering others, not making them dependent.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 09:54:45 PM »
Education, undeserved govt. contracts, monopolies - if those are charity, then what isn't? Law enforcement? The military? Standardizing weights and measures? Roads? Customs enforcement?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 10:36:24 PM »
Hey I deduct every dime I take in as a charitable contribution, especially the taxes withheld since Obama is giving to po fok.  It must be an act of charity when I give my money to a merchant.  I don't have to, so it must be charity, no? :angel:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 11:23:03 PM »
oh, the geithner method. :laugh:

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010, 11:25:25 PM »
It is not about the source of the money. Government is not a charity organization.

You'd better tell them that.  :lol:

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 03:45:38 AM »
Yeah, I guess charity and graft/corruption are not supposed to be the same thing.

Public schooling can be a form of govt handout or charity if the people using it aren't paying the taxes that fund it. 

Not if they don't have the choice.

Behold, the charity of the state.

It probably isn't charity if you need to force people to accept it at gunpoint.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 04:06:18 AM »
The greatest charity you can give a man is an opportunity.
--Don King (at least I have it attributed to him)
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM